JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When reloading 9mm, at the resizing/decapping stage of the press when you are pushing the handle up to extract the case, it sticks coming out. And not just slightly, but enough that when it does release it shakes the whole press enough that the bullet will fall out of the case just before the seating stage.

I have tried both Hornady and RCBS resizing dies and they both do it. It is the right shell plate and I have taken the resizing dies and put them in a single stage with zero problems. I have even tried .45 in this press with no issues.

Called Hornady and they have no idea except to send the whole press back to them.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Thanks.

If 45 is working then it's probably not the press.

Are you lubing the cleaned cases before resizing?

Also, is your press secured well? it really shouldn't be shaking in use.

If 45 is working then it's probably not the press.

Are you lubing the cleaned cases before resizing?

Also, is your press secured well? it really shouldn't be shaking in use.

They are carbide dies, so you shouldn't have to lube them. And yeah it is large work bench secured to the floor. And it's not so much as shaking as it is a "pop" when it extracts. Almost like it hangs up.

And 2 different sets of dies do it in this press but not in single stage.

While it shouldn't require lube I find it easier when lubed even with 9's.

Only other thing that comes to mind would be if there was a problem with the shell plate.

Also, do you have any other dies in he press at the tome? I know that the powder through expander can sometimes stick if its not polished.

Not had this problem with my LNL Hornady CS is great and I would personly send it back. If it's under warranty they should pay for shipping. Good luck.

While it shouldn't require lube I find it easier when lubed even with 9's.

Only other thing that comes to mind would be if there was a problem with the shell plate.

Also, do you have any other dies in he press at the tome? I know that the powder through expander can sometimes stick if its not polished.
Thanks for the ideas.

I even tried another #8 she'll plate with same results. And I have resized some cases in single stage, left that slot open on the LnL and they run through smooth as silk. So it's somehow that stage.

Not had this problem with my LNL Hornady CS is great and I would personly send it back. If it's under warranty they should pay for shipping. Good luck.

Think that is what I am going to have to do, but don't think it's still under warranty. Bad thing is there is no one around I know of that has one so I can trouble shoot.

One more thought - when you clean the cases are you using a media tumbler or a wet clean process?

If you are using a wet clean process then you would probably need to lube the cases even with carbide dies - I use an ultrasonic cleaner and even with carbide dies it is much more effort to resize them (which is why I lube) then when I used a media tumbler.

One more thought - when you clean the cases are you using a media tumbler or a wet clean process?

If you are using a wet clean process then you would probably need to lube the cases even with carbide dies - I use an ultrasonic cleaner and even with carbide dies it is much more effort to resize them (which is why I lube) then when I used a media tumbler.

Media Tumbler.

I think I will have better luck spotting Bigfoot than figuring this one out.

I've had the same issue with a few Dillon presses & it seemed to be the combination of the expander & sizing die. When checked separately, all seemed well, but when both were in use on the press, the combination of one exerting force on the outside of the case & one on the inside would lead to hangups & snapping when the ram was on the way back down. Polishing the expander worked for me in that instance. Not saying that that's your issue, just something else to try. Ain't the quirks fun?????? :mad:

Check and make sure your shell plate isn't loose, it should help a bit with the excessive shaking. As for the cases sticking, 9mm is a tapered cartridge, and as such the sizing die needs to touch more of the case than it would with a straight wall. This would make for a little bit of extra sizing force that normally wouldn't be an issue with other cartridge cases.

Even if you're running carbide dies, lubing the cases just means they move around that much better. There are a few options, lanolin is the most common one. I'm still searching for a good reliable water based lube, some guys I know use a soy based lube, or a burnishing soap.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top