JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Occasionally my press rolls in the mouth of my 223 cases when powder charging. I suspect that because I use stick powder, when the cutting forces are high the case actuated powder drop is pushing down on the mouth pretty hard, rolling in the mouth and dumping half the powder. Of course the primed case is ruined... I've learned that when I feel the force going up, I use my other hand and assist the measure, but that's not a good long term solution. Since I prep and prime my cases at a separate time, I only fill and seat the bullets, so I think I have a pretty good feel for what's going on with these just two steps.

I thought for sure I would be able to find something on the web about this, but it could be that I'm not using the right terms.

The one the sell is for pistol, but I'm thinking of making something similar that would work for the 223 case. Not necessarily and expander, but a hollow nubbin that fits inside the mouth enough to prevent the case from rolling in or out

I've sheared a buncha stick powder in my life and never knew it to have enough resistance to bend .223 brass bad enough to ruin it.
It sounds like something else is going on.
You didn't say what powder measure you're using.

I'm using the Hornady LnL powder measure. The part that's doing the damage is the inverted cone on the bottom of the bushing that floats in the bottom portion of the powder measure. I'm not sure what to do about it; this doesn't happen on .30 caliber, only this one. For the record, there's a steeper funnel on the top side, but that's for powder guidance. The bottom cone is for case alignment.

I'm using the Hornady LnL powder measure. The part that's doing the damage is the inverted cone on the bottom of the bushing that floats in the bottom portion of the powder measure. I'm not sure what to do about it; this doesn't happen on .30 caliber, only this one. For the record, there's a steeper funnel on the top side, but that's for powder guidance. The bottom cone is for case alignment.
Maybe the cone that the case mouth hits is rough enough that it catches and bends. I'd take it apart and give it an eyeball and polish.

One way to look at it: it's culling the cases where the neck brass has thinned to much.
Yes, I've had that happen, but not in a while.
My solution : Use a lighter return spring. The one they have for that is pretty herky. I took it off, put on 2 rubber bands. Works like a champ.

Wow, my L-N-L has loaded several thousand .223 rounds with stick powders with ZERO effect on the case mouth or any other issues.
Something is wrong with your set-up.
Have you talked to Hornady? That should be the first step. Call when you can be at the press.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top