JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't have any specific opinion about the Hornady Critical Defense rounds, but I'm guessing you're talking about a 9mm (that's what the G26 is?) with a 115gr bullet.

I think it's an interesting design, but other than the claims of the maker I havn't seen a lot to back up the claims they make. Generally a bullet either expands or it doesn't (the idea behind the filled hollow point) and if it doesn't expand going through denim or a leather jacket, I'm not sure how well it will perform on flesh.

In my carry gun (I have a wa state CPL) I am using the winchester bonded PDX1. Or winchester ranger SXT. I will admit the only reason I am using these is liability protection, in the off chance I ever have to use my gun to defend my life by taking another, I don't want to lose everything I own as a result.

The determining factor in bullet performance is how quickly it dissipates energy into the target, this is why hollow points expand, decreasing sectional density and dissipating energy into the target in the process. However, the depth at which this process occurs is also important, which is why having a bullet with controlled expansion is also a consideration. The romans determined that most stab wounds deeper than 2" would ultimately prove fatal. It is immoral to test new bullets on people, and animal analogs don't provide anything more than anecdotal evidence, unfortunately we will never truely know how any bullet will actually perform until it is used on a person.

Hope that helps.

Well Yes I do have a 9 however I also have a .40 and currently use Fedral in that. I just cant find enough PD ammo to try different stuff. But the Critical Defense looks promising. Working in Trauma I have seen bullet wounds and I have to say 40 S&W makes one **** of a mark depending on what your using, and wheather it will expand or not. The differance is life and Death, and when you have s tweaker coming at you, you wanna TAP TAP and put him down cold!

I use them in my ruger lcr (38 special) fired several boxes never had a problem. I like them because recoil is very similar to my ball ammo that I practice with. Its a bit lighter than your standard +p hollow points makes a difference in such a small and light gun.

He's a gunsmith who also tests ammo in denim-covered gelatin for fun. He used a short barrel pistol for the test, the Kel-tec P-11. All of the Critical Defense 9mm did expand, just not very much, at about 1000 feet per second. Most other premium hollowpoints performed better, despite two layers of denim over the gelatin, which did not clog the hollows. The Cor-bon ammo was predictably good, but the Golden Saber looked GREAT!

The best thing about the "Critical Defense" brand seems to be the NAME, which would sound good if you ever found yourself in court over a shooting.......................elsullo :s0155:

I just picked up two boxes of it in .45 at Fishermans in Portland. First I've seen of it in .45. Cost was 21.95/20. I already have it in my .380 too.

As to how it works? I don't know but the ads and test reports say it's pretty good. Maybe the Power Ball .45 I already have might be better as it's lighter and faster, but who knows in a real shooting/court defense situation?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top