JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just finished loading 20 rounds of .308 Win. using Hornady brass from a box of factory American Whitetail ammo. The first time I loaded this brass, I was shocked and dismayed at how crimped the primer pockets were. I swaged them with the RCBS tool and also reamed them with the RCBS case neck deburring tool, but the primers were almost impossible to seat with the Lee Auto Prime hand tool. I thought, well, that was a PITA, but it should be better next time. Wrong! I had to seat the primers with maximum pressure in my RCBS Rockchucker! :mad:. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Most trouble I have ever had with brass in over 35 years of handloading. I emailed Hornady and the said they are now crimping primers in all cartridges that are "military cartridges". In other words, .223 and .308. I would rather buy cheap PPU ammo than deal with Hornady brass.
And I have loaded hundreds if not thousands of military surplus brass with crimped primers with zero problems (LC, IMI, WCC,etc). So what's Hornady's problem, or is it just me? :rolleyes:

Sounds like you need to remove more metal.
I gave up on swagers years ago.. problematic and on some brass if you swaged it enough to remove the crimp, the brass was destroyed.
I don't use much military brass but when I do, I cut the crimp out with a small sheepsfoot bladed pocket knife.. very easy with from 1-3 twists.. no matter the crimp, that metal is removed.

You could try a different brand primer. I know that for small pistol stuff I often use remington primers when the pockets are tight. I also choose primers for my .223 (AR platform) based on fit sometimes. I know switching primers is more problematic with a .308 but if you want to keep using that good brass perhaps it's worth a try? Just a thought.

You could try a different brand primer. I know that for small pistol stuff I often use remington primers when the pockets are tight. I also choose primers for my .223 (AR platform) based on fit sometimes. I know switching primers is more problematic with a .308 but if you want to keep using that good brass perhaps it's worth a try? Just a thought.
I was using Remington 9 1/2 primers, in my experience usually easier to seat than Federals, CCI's, S&B, or Wolf. The only other easier to seat, almost undersized, would be Winchester. If I have to prime them again, I will try some Winchesters.

Uhhh, use a press to prime. Leverage is your best friend. Congrats though, you just shortened the lifespan of your brass by enlarging the primer pocket. That's always my weakness on brass. Once primers fall out like a baby from a have a baby welfare momma it's time to put it in the scrap pile.

In reality, it's sad that you had to work so hard to make it so you could prime your brass, really it is so take the above statement with some salt.

I recently discovered crimps in my Hornady brass as well. For me couple of seconds on the crimp removal tool using a lyman case prep express and I am good to go. Took me a couple of cases myself before I realized it was not jacked brass but completely normal. As for whether I like Hornady now doing this though I am divided, I don't like the extra step, the reason I don't buy military ammo for reloading in the first place.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top