JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Complete newbie regarding these things, so please excuse my ignorance! =)

I picked up Hoppes #9 and some breakfree clp.

I'm cleaning my brand new vp9 and I wanted to make sure its safe/ok to use hoppes 9 all over my gun. Its not just for the bore right?

I tried to find a guide, but came up short.

It's a CLP, it's also petrochemicals, i would be wary of using it on the plastics.

Try a dedicated degreaser, like MPro7 cleaner for the all over approach.

Plastics are something I was concerned about with Hoppes #9 but as much as I try to avoid it, I've been pretty sloppy with it on my synthetic stocks and grips and so far no problem.

Ahhhhh I love the smell of Hoppes #9 in the morning :D
My first whiff was in the 1940's

A take on the Movie Apocalypse Now :D

Its like skin bracer, old spice or a fresh brew. The rifleman's cologne :)
Grandpa's gun room always smelled of Hoppe's #9

Last Edited:
The Elite version?
Yeah, I just checked, I've used/have that as well as the original. Does it damage plastic? Maybe long term?
All is well for now. Marlin795, ruger mini all weather, old no name 22 revolver/cheap plastic grips, Ruger SR9, rubbery grips on my .38 and some other things. Can't swear I used the ELITE on all of these.:eek:

So fairly close;

Hoppes = Old regular petro-chemical oil, basically using oil's natural attributes to sell as gun oil/cleaner etc. (oil naturally lifts dirt, lubes and leaves a barrier layer)

Knowing that new companies were coming up with actual specific cleaners, particularly oil free type products, they asked MPro 7 (one of the aforementioned companies) to produce a safe cleaner, which they did, but it's not exactly the same product. Basically if you want the real deal, buy MPro7's gun cleaner.

So, oil on plastics, typically never good, water based cleaners, obviously no issue, Hoppes Elite, made by MPro7, no issue. MPro7 the same? not quite, they make the original version.

Pretty much all the old products, cleaners (regular & copper) are not actually very good. Do they work? yes, but there are far better products out there. Oil is oil, but we need it mixed/properties in a certain way to help with the specifics guns need, like strong barrier film and solid pressure/lubrication stuff.

This looks like a long read, but it's really useful in understanding what we're buying and what's been sold to us for many years, it's not quite magical, but does have certain chosen properties making it more suitable than picking up literally any oil for gun use.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Naphtha and palm oil... :rolleyes: in the morning.

Seriously I still use and like Hoppes #9, it's not the only tool in the kit, Kroil is in there, Sweet's 7.65, Birchwood Casey pressurized solvent whatever they call it? Gun Scrubber? (a lot like Break-Free Powder Blast).

Probably the only thing NOT good for contacting Hoppes is humans. Never seen it harm anything on / in guns.

Hoppes never let me down, Even kept an old t-shirt soaked with it in my cleaning box. And in a plastic bag when in the field. Days in the rain and use it to wipe down everything and never in 60 yrs a spec of rust. Cleans protects, and with some slick stuff on the moving parts, it pretty much does what it needs to do. I don't throw good proven things out just to try new things. Use what is proven and guess what the price is right yet.

Never had a problem with Hoppes #9. I have had some plastic elevator buttons and bezels crumble when cleaned with solvents, other than alchohol. The only "Gun" warning I've seen was for plastic feed lips on AR .22 rifle magazines.:(

The warning was "Use of solvents tends to make the feed lips brittle.":eek:

The possible problem with Hoppe's 9 on plastic, is finish, and, dependent on the plastic type, may or may not affect it.

Take note here, 'plastic' is an incredibly generic term, one would be a fool if they were to think there was only one type.

I will also re-stress the point i made earlier, that whilst "oil" works for our purpose, it's because it covers and contains the properties we need from it. You can strengthen or weaken choice properties to the application at hand.

Just because something has never failed, it doesn't mean there isn't something that does it better :)

Didn't even know hopped was an issue for plastic. Been using it my whole life. No issues what so ever.

That and remmy oil are all I really use.

Hoppes to clean everything, remmy to oil everything.

Started using mobile 1 for lubing lately since it's less expensive. That's about it.

Sometimes I think people put too much thought in cleaning a gun. It's metal mostly. Not rocket science, shoot, people put less care in their automobile maintenance and a car is much more of a mechanical device than a gun is.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top