JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Portland Mayor Charlie Hales calls for tougher federal, state gun control laws | OregonLive.com

In an interview with Lar Larson he said he wanted...

1) To ban the sale of "assault weapons" (idiot)

2) To ban the POSSESSION of "assault weapons"

3) To Ban the sale OR possession of...wait for it..."assault-style high capacity ammunition clips"...(moron)

4) He als stated that there was "no reason for anyone to own a weapon that could not be used for hunting...especially something as powerful as the AR-15...they were not meant fir the general population..." (paraphrase)

BTW....He just commited political suicide and Kitzhaber has stated he will NOT lead the charge on gun control in Oregon...that's for the legislature to handle...

Some choice tidbits below...

According to the city's legislative agenda submitted by Hales, the city would support state legislation "to protect public safety by prohibiting the sale of assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.''

"Military-style weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines have no place on our streets. They are designed to kill large numbers of people quickly, and they have no other use in civilian hands,'' the agenda says.

"Public safety is a fundamental priority for the City of Portland and gun violence poses a serious threat to the security of our community,'' the agenda says. "Whether it is a public massacre at the hands of a deranged individual or gang violence, our current gun policies do not effectively prevent the public use of the most deadly firearms - including assault weapons and weapons with high-capacity ammunition magazines.''

and my favorite...especially since these clowns are grandstanding on the graves of children to push their agenda..

Mayors Against Illegal Guns has released a television ad called Demand A Plan that's expected to run in Portland featuring the mother of a 9-year-old girl killed in the Tuscon mass shooting that wounded former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords. The ad has aired in markets where there have been mass shootings. It begins with the scene from the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting and demands that elected officials in Washington, D.C. take immediate action to reduce gun violence.

I don't hunt, never have but still there are hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of AR's being used to hunt with. And they really aren't that powerful!

4) He also stated that there was "no reason for anyone to own a weapon that could not be used for hunting...especially something as powerful as the AR-15...they were not meant fir the general population..." (paraphrase)

Gun owners in Portland were doomed no matter what during the last election. They had no real choice for mayor. Each canidate was an idiot! Stupid is as stupid does. I feel for the normal people in Portland.

hker71

Gun owners in Portland were doomed no matter what during the last election. They had no real choice for mayor. Each canidate was an idiot! Stupid is as stupid does. I feel for the normal people in Portland.

hker71

This, so much. All of the choices were terrible, especially Hales with his stance on firearms.

I like Portland. I like many Portlanders. Really, though... if that last guy was voted in, any yahoo could be.

Hale is probably just jumping on the bandwagon trying to get some recognition or a name for himself other than by "cutting spending" which is the only thing anyone has mentioned of him up to this point.

Isn't gun trafficking a federal crime now? or is that just with full auto, sbr, etc etc? once you sell weapons across state lines doesnt that become a federal crime? I am going to look it up but I thought any illegal activity that goes from one state to another it falls under federal jurisdictions.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top