JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Blew my knee at the ARPC ABC match a couple yrs back, and finally got the long awaited surgery on it last Thursday.

Was hoping to get back to work tomorrow, but not is not going to happen. My thigh is still to swollen to even think about getting pants on and the thigh feels like it's gonna pop front the swelling let alone the dam pain!

Feels like it got hit by a train, I can touch my knee but the thigh is unbearable.

Has anybody here had their knee scoped? They cleaned up my torn meniscus and unfolded and unwrapped something that was tangled around the knee capsule and I think scraped some arthritis.

I've had both hips replaced and that f ing hurt. So i thought this would be a PIECE OF CAKE. Hope to have a major change in my healing SOON but for now it SUCKS!

HOPE TO BE AT THE NEXT ABC MATCH or any dam match.
LOL

I wish I could give you something more than just encouragement- knee surgery is a beatch! I wish you a speedy recovery. My only advice is to do nothing, rest up, and stay off your feet for AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. Trying to get up and active before your body has had a chance to start the healing process (even if you think you feel ok) will only cause you problems down the line and lengthen your recovery time. My buddy broke both his feet a couple years back and went back to work way too soon- it totally screwed up his healing process and he still is in extreme pain whenever he walks, 2 years after the reconstructive surgery.
Take your pain pills and just relax. Focus on healing. Don't try to be active before your body is ready or you will regret it later on down the line.
And good luck with your recovery!

That's got to suck. Hang in there, and as Black Ryder said, keep up on the pain meds. As I'm sure you're finding out, If you get behind on the pain, it makes catching up difficult.

My wife had a painful surgery last Wednesday and she's still hurting.

That's got to suck. Hang in there, and as Black Ryder said, keep up on the pain meds. As I'm sure you're finding out, If you get behind on the pain, it makes catching up difficult.

My wife had a painful surgery last Wednesday and she's still hurting.

Yup on catching up! Got 7hrs straight sleep a few nights ago and that was 1hr short of two dose's missed. And almost in tears while taking meds.

Was gonna go back to work tomorrow no matter what the doc said. But my leg was talking and so I bagged that idea.

Maybe next week.
LOL

And then GSSF is centerfire competition that has no movement, but only once or twice in the summer. You'll be healed by then.

IDPA is a good first step for action shooting when you're ready, and then when you're healed enough you can shoot the fastest of the action shooting sports, USPSA.

Doesn't ARPC have all those games?

It's been a week since I bagged the idea of going back to work. And feeling way better, mornings are still slow but will try to make it to work tomorrow.

Half days for this week just to get my sea legs back under me. Will see how this pans out.

Thanks for to all for the support!

I have been having issues with arthritis in my right knee. I was slow before, but it's slowed me down even more. Speed steel is a good way to get back into competition, and IDPA is great too.
When I couldn't kneel down onto the ground for a couple of the stages, they allowed me to stand and take a procedural penalty. Very accomodating. For USPSA, I just take my time and it may look like a slow stroll from target to target, but it let's me compete and have fun without making the knee worse. PPC also allows us old geezer/geezerettes to stand if we can't get up and down anymore :D

I have been interested in trying out competition shooting. What would be minimum equipment needed to shoot beginner competition?
Best bet is to go and observe a match first. That way you can see what others are using at different skill and commitment levels. There is a match this Saturday at ARPC. Go on out and see what it's like. Biggest thing is that you can compete at most any level you like. There are some that have made significant commitment and others that just do it occasionally. Regardless of your skill level, it's fun, challenging, and you make it what you want for you.

Basic equipment is a gun, holster, magazine holders, lots and lots of ammo and the ability to not get mad when you really screw up a stage. :D

Best bet is to go and observe a match first. That way you can see what others are using at different skill and commitment levels. There is a match this Saturday at ARPC. Go on out and see what it's like. Biggest thing is that you can compete at most any level you like. There are some that have made significant commitment and others that just do it occasionally. Regardless of your skill level, it's fun, challenging, and you make it what you want for you.

Basic equipment is a gun, holster, magazine holders, lots and lots of ammo and the ability to not get mad when you really screw up a stage. :D
I know this might be a stupid question but is the match open to the public for spectating?

I started with a Ruger SR9c, a paddle holster, and a couple of paddle mag holders. Like Glockgal said, you can change that later once you do it for awhile. It's really tough to decide what you really want until you try it.

Initially, it's not about the equipment itself, it's about the shooter. The safety protocols need to become second nature. There is quite a bit to learning to shoot in competition, but safety must become a part of you.

I know this might be a stupid question but is the match open to the public for spectating?

At ARPC
Public has easy access to the matches no waiting for someone to let you it.

You can shoot the match or just watch.
Go to arpc.info and hit the calendar and see what's coming up that you wanna check out.

I have been having issues with arthritis in my right knee. I was slow before, but it's slowed me down even more. Speed steel is a good way to get back into competition, and IDPA is great too.
When I couldn't kneel down onto the ground for a couple of the stages, they allowed me to stand and take a procedural penalty. Very accomodating. For USPSA, I just take my time and it may look like a slow stroll from target to target, but it let's me compete and have fun without making the knee worse. PPC also allows us old geezer/geezerettes to stand if we can't get up and down anymore :D

So who's gonna hold my cane during reloads!
LMAO!

At ARPC
Public has easy access to the matches no waiting for someone to let you it.

You can shoot the match or just watch.
Go to arpc.info and hit the calendar and see what's coming up that you wanna check out.
I'm not set to shoot any sort of competition right now. (no paddle holster, no mag holsters, not enough ammo. but I would like to come see the competition.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top