JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
PRANK CALL LEADS TO LARGE POLICE RESPONSE IN SOUTHWEST PORTLAND

News Release from Portland Police Bureau
Posted on FlashAlert: January 3rd, 2015 10:31 AM
On Friday January 2, 2014, at 11:56 p.m., Central Precinct officers responded to a residence in the 11200 block of Southwest Capitol Highway on the report that an armed male was holding residents hostage inside the home.

Several officers responded and set up containment in the area and worked to determine the validity of the report. As officers were developing a plan to attempt contact with residents, they learned that the call was most likely a hoax. Patrol officers made contact with the residents and determined that everyone was safe inside the home.

Prank calls can occupy police resources that might otherwise be needed to respond to other, actual emergencies. Improper Use of an Emergency Reporting System is a crime in Oregon and investigators will follow-up to work to determine the identity of the caller and make an arrest.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to provide it via email to [email protected]

###PPB###

Things like this get innocent people killed. When that happens the perps need to be charged with murder 1 !

Last Edited:
Jackwagons, probably stoned and think it was funny, then will wind up in the street protesting police activities that happened 1,000 miles away with no real information. IMO, if this prevented a police response to a real crime they should be charged as accessories.

the kids call it "swatting" -- the idea is to get the SWAT team to show up and break someone's door down and traumatize them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatting

There has been some legislative attempts to criminalize the act of calling in false reports, regardless of the outcome.

The criminalizing cannot be harsh enough for that act. It has got several people killed around the country.
The perps need to feel real trauma, repeatedly !

With all this technology they cant track a phone call?

This stuff pisses me off they do this to OC'ers too. These guys need to do hard time for abusing 911 and be publicly flogged.
Same goes for people who call 911 because their mcdouble had pickles on it and they ordered one without.

Everyone knows my stance on law enforcement.. But I do respect the idea of the service should the need arise for those unable to fend for themself. Abusing 911 is sickening.

With all this technology they cant track a phone call?

This stuff pisses me off they do this to OC'ers too. These guys need to do hard time for abusing 911 and be publicly flogged.
Same goes for people who call 911 because their mcdouble had pickles on it and they ordered one without.

Everyone knows my stance on law enforcement.. But I do respect the idea of the service should the need arise for those unable to fend for themself. Abusing 911 is sickening.

Yes, the carriers involved can most certainly track a call even if the caller has spoofed or blocked their caller ID. Almost all telecom systems are digital and have been for a long time and EVERY call EVERYWHERE is logged as a CDR in a database. You may have to match up these records from a LEC or two and likely a cell phone provider, but the data IS there. Punishment should begin by reimbursing the agencies for their costs including labor.

The danger here is when a REAL event occurs and response is slow because the police assume they are being swatted once again.

It's a little more complicated than that, since you have to know how to spoof an address so it shows up on the cops' display as coming from the location in question.

A burner phone only works if:
  • You paid cash just like Tony Soprano
  • Didn't use it from your home or workplace - the position you made the call from can be triangulated
  • Only used it once - like any other device on a phone system it has a unique ID (this is NOT your caller ID). Unless you have the skills and knowledge to change it (the CSID) it can be identified (and get registered to the carrier) the next time you turn it on. If you used your burner phone for any other activity that could be traced back to you even before you made the call you can still be found since they can find out who you called. Unless it was also to another burner phone you are the one who just got burned.
Spoofing the address that 911 gets is different than spoofing your caller ID.

Once again, every leg of every call through every system it passes through gets recorded.

And it's instantaneous. None of this movie "keep him talking" garbage. Anyone know if they are prosecuting Ronald Ritchie for the BS 911 call on the John Crawford shooting?

Cant they just steel a phone from another kid they don't like. Or use one obtained from a car or house robbery.
And make the call from it?

Same rules apply as for my post above. My wife's phone was stolen last year and I had it shut off within 15 minutes. I also reported as stolen to the carrier so the CSID could not be used on their network in the future.

Start an Initiative that addresses, at least, these issues:
(Some of these might already be law.)

* The caller(s), when apprehended, is charged and prosecuted for each instance of injury or property damage as if (s)he had inflicted it her/himself in a premeditated manner.
* LE is required to invest resources to find the caller(s) commensurate with the severity of the injury or property damage. I.e., the Ronald Ritchies are sought for premeditated murder, not just for misuse of the 911 system.
* Organizations that advocate such practices are branded as terrorist.
* Officers of the organizations are prosecutable as accessories before the fact.
* Such a call is not a 1st Amendment expression, it falls under the "shouting Fire! in a crowded theater" exemption.
* etc.

There is a YouTube video (
) of a well known Counter Strike player getting swatted. It shows almost the whole process and is kind of funny to watch. But it is only humorous after the fact, and knowing everyone was safe and OK.

I'm not sure if there have been any convictions yet related to these swatting's. This is very dangerous behavior. Considering there have already been fatal cases where the police show up at the wrong address (one or two houses off or with bad information). All this is going to take is the wrong person get swatted and deaths will happen.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top