JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Friend of mine here at NWFA traded a 22 rifle for a 22 rifle to another NWFA member. My friends rifle worked and was not miss represented in any way. The rifle he traded for seemed to work fine but when he got it home and shot it the bolt action 22 would fire on closeing. Very dangerous.

I asked my friend if he was told the gun malfunctions and he said no. Guys be careful and make sure that the guns function safely before you bring em home. There are people out there that don't care if your family gets killed when they trade you a broken gun.

jj

Friend of mine here at NWFA traded a 22 rifle for a 22 rifle to another NWFA member. My friends rifle worked and was not miss represented in any way. The rifle he traded for seemed to work fine but when he got it home and shot it the bolt action 22 would fire on closeing. Very dangerous.

I asked my friend if he was told the gun malfunctions and he said no. Guys be careful and make sure that the guns function safely before you bring em home. There are people out there that don't care if your family gets killed when they trade you a broken gun.

jj
Wow, sorry to hear that Jim, hope the guy mans up and makes it right with you.

I hope your friend has filed the proper feedback for this offender... I realize the feedback system isn't fully working right now but please make sure your friend helps prevent this from happing with this seller again!

Has your friend asked for a "retrade"?

This is why we need a dirtbag list. The bigger the site gets the more it will happen. There will be people just doing that to get rid of that one gun.

Sorry to hear that and I would bring this
to his attention.

This is why we need a dirtbag list. The bigger the site gets the more it will happen. There will be people just doing that to get rid of that one gun.

Sorry to hear that and I would bring this
to his attention.
I think I a logo for your list.:s0112::s0114:
th_dirtbags-ylw.jpg

My friend is in the process of contacting the offender. Guess he will get an answer before too long. However I must point out again when tradeing make sure the gun is safe.

jj

You cant buy class.

Hijack- I had a "friend" who totally bubblegumed over his Wife instead of manning up. I told him we were not friends anymore. If you will bubblegum your Wife over, I KNOW you will bubblegum me over.

Sad. :(

I Gotta say I believe in buyer beware and that you should function test a firearm before making a deal.....That being said the dude that traded a weapon he new was a danger is an A-hole.. the world is way to small to run around scr_ _ ing people over.

Well my friend is haveing trouble with the new format here so I decided to warn people for safety reason. When he figures out how to get on he will follow up on the post.

jj

You cant buy class.

Hijack- I had a "friend" who totally bubblegumed over his Wife instead of manning up. I told him we were not friends anymore. If you will bubblegum your Wife over, I KNOW you will bubblegum me over.

Sad. :(

I seriously doubt you ever had a friend if your the kind who hijacks a thread.

jj

There is a possibility that the "offender" is/was unaware of any issues with the firearm.
I have purchased firearms from people in the past, that the seller never fired.
I have sold firearms, that I have not fired.
I have bought guns, & turned around & sold them in a matter of minutes.
Having said this, if I ever sold a gun & the buyer told me later that the gun was "unsafe, or faulty", I would make it right!
The seller should make this deal right. I don't feel you/we should assume the seller knowingly sold a faulty & unsafe firearm.

There is a possibility that the "offender" is/was unaware of any issues with the firearm.
I have purchased firearms from people in the past, that the seller never fired.
I have sold firearms, that I have not fired.
I have bought guns, & turned around & sold them in a matter of minutes.
Having said this, if I ever sold a gun & the buyer told me later that the gun was "unsafe, or faulty", I would make it right!
The seller should make this deal right. I don't feel you/we should assume the seller knowingly sold a faulty & unsafe firearm.

I couldnt have said it better myself.

Also, did anyone check to see what the problem with the gun was? It could be as simple as a grain of dirt sticking the firing pin. Perhaps it wasnt assembled correctly after the last cleaning. There could be a number or reasons.
Until more is known, I dont see it fair to call the seller an "offender".

The lesson to learn from this thread is to always check a gun before firing it. It doesnt matter if you just found it in a river, bought it from a store, or traded for it online.

I couldnt have said it better myself.

Also, did anyone check to see what the problem with the gun was? It could be as simple as a grain of dirt sticking the firing pin. Perhaps it wasnt assembled correctly after the last cleaning. There could be a number or reasons.
Until more is known, I dont see it fair to call the seller an "offender".

The lesson to learn from this thread is to always check a gun before firing it. It doesnt matter if you just found it in a river, bought it from a store, or traded for it online.

Could be as simple as a stuck firing pin as stated above or even a trigger job that went too far.

Izzy is on the right track, and MNG (like me, and Izzy) is perhaps too nice for his own good. I would assume the best of the other party until proven otherwise. We are somewhat spoiled in the gun trade in that there are some unwritten codes of ethics that preside over a number of our interactions with one another. That's why it is such a shock and disappointment when it seems they are not observed.

That having been said, the general rule of course, is "buyer beware". I don't believe anyone here would argue that part of the fun in trading guns is the belief when you are finished that you got "the better of the deal". This does not excuse the action of knowingly transferring a malfunctioning firearm, most especially a malfunctioning unsafe firearm. Part of the responsibility resides with the recipeient in asking the right questions: "How does it shoot?" "How long have you had it?" "Why are you selling it?" "Any issues I should be aware of?/If you kept the gun what might you consider having done to it to make it better?"

In buying a gun sight-unseen (through the mail), there is a general rule of a 3 day inspection period to insure the buyer is satisfied that the gun meets description. If the buyer decides it does not, he is expected to advise the seller immediately, and return the gun at his own expense for a full refund. In a face-to-face transaction, the predominate rule is "sold as is, no warranty expressed or implied". This places a burden on the buyer to inspect thoroughly, ask the right questions, and then live with his decision. Again: nothing excuses the known selling of a malfuctioning unsafe gun without advising the buyer. This forum (and especially if the seller is active here and wishes to remain so) is an excellent "citizen's enforcement tool".

Give the "Dirtbag" a chance to make it right, and exlpain what happened before labelling him or giving him a poor rating. Too many people on here willing to act/overreact based on assumptions.

Phillyfan is right.

Like I said "I would make it right", but if I got labeled as a "Dirtbag", before getting the chance to do so.........
I could see myself being a little less eager to "make things right"
That guy maybe a "Dirtbag", but that still remains to be seen!

Phillyfan is right.

Like I said "I would make it right", but if I got labeled as a "Dirtbag", before getting the chance to do so.........
I could see myself being a little less eager to "make things right"
That guy maybe a "Dirtbag", but that still remains to be seen!

This is the best one that happened to me and you tell me if he is a dirtbag. He said he would take it (pistol) I am WA he was OR so I made arrangements will friend FFL on a Sat at 2. I drove an hour and arrived at 1:45 and waited and waited. Called the guy no answer and text him as well and no answer. I waited an hour and half and said FT. Drove another hour home and now it is about 6 and the guy said did not have enough money in bank and could I let him make payments and schedule another drive and meet at FFL? What do you think my response is? Is that a dirtbag? He is still here and word gets out among others but it is like a private thing between gun friends.

So I know a number of people who are like that from personal experience and from friends words.

This is the best one that happened to me and you tell me if he is a dirtbag. He said he would take it (pistol) I am WA he was OR so I made arrangements will friend FFL on a Sat at 2. I drove an hour and arrived at 1:45 and waited and waited. Called the guy no answer and text him as well and no answer. I waited an hour and half and said FT. Drove another hour home and now it is about 6 and the guy said did not have enough money in bank and could I let him make payments and schedule another drive and meet at FFL? What do you think my response is? Is that a dirtbag? He is still here and word gets out among others but it is like a private thing between gun friends.

So I know a number of people who are like that from personal experience and from friends words.

"In my opinion" That is disserving of the tittle "Dirtbag"

Did you give him a poor rating?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads