JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was in the business in high school, and college, and after as a dealer then. 5/100 are honest. Stay 1 million miles away from the Russian dudes.
And overall, you need to educate yourself on what's junk and what isn't. And then study The values.
Understand blue book, and nada.
Don't pay a premium for miles versus year.
Understand what's had body work and watch for bolts that are missing paint.

Craigslist, for sale by owner.
Decide what you want, research it and go looking.
I have decided to upgrade my 80 series to a 100 series and figured I may as well just get a 470.
I have found a bunch locally for decent prices.
My plan is to get a 470, sell the 80 and get a 40.

Craigslist, for sale by owner.
Decide what you want, research it and go looking.
I have decided to upgrade my 80 series to a 100 series and figured I may as well just get a 470.
I have found a bunch locally for decent prices.
My plan is to get a 470, sell the 80 and get a 40.

I have learned to take any used car to a REPUTABLE mechanic (and therein lies another dilemma...)

I'm going to sell m 25, get a 87, and maybe trade into a 109, with a 973 as a backup to my 11.........:rolleyes:o_O
(in other words, wha' chu' talkin' bout?):D

I buy used cars from original owners, preferably with low mileage and the best deals were from estate sales.
The best way I know to find out if someone is lying about their cars condition, is to call them up and ask a bunch of pertinent question, then have some one else with a different phone number call the seller a little while later and ask the same type of questions, but in a different order.
A person that's lying will make up a bunch of stories right off the top of their head, but someone that is honest will generally will give the same answers.

The Lexus LX470 is basically a really nice 100 series Land Cruiser, UZJ100
The one I have now is an 80 series, FJ80.
Land Cruisers have several types of body styles, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 ,90, 100 and 200 series.

I have learned to take any used car to a REPUTABLE mechanic (and therein lies another dilemma...)
I am lucky in that regard, been a wrench for nearly 30 years.
I'll bring everything needed to look it over myself.
Having done research on whatever I am looking at, I can spot problems and work that into the price as well.

Seriously, what, if any, is the advantage to Car Max?

I'm just sizing up the market for a used daily runner, so I'm on my way to visit the Car Max in Tigard by 217 and just see what's sitting around there.

Any pros or cons you guys might share?

Do they allow a shopper to take a vehicle to a mechanic for an inspection?

Seriously, what, if any, is the advantage to Car Max?

I'm just sizing up the market for a used daily runner, so I'm on my way to visit the Car Max in Tigard by 217 and just see what's sitting around there.

Any pros or cons you guys might share?

Do they allow a shopper to take a vehicle to a mechanic for an inspection?
First wrong move.
Private party only

And the first exception to your absolute is if you need to trade in a vehicle because you don't want to saddle someone with a host of potential problems.

People love car dealers because they get them in to the car for the payment they want.
The ownership and purchase of motor vehicles is a simple business transaction, complicated by the American public's unsatiable desire for the most over priced vehicles in the world.

When I was running our business, it was a vehicle heavy thing. I used some debt to buy a couple rigs starting out, but I have a very extensive background in mechanics, vehicles and equipment, and soon found I could buy quality used vehicles simply by being in search of my next needed vehicle or equipment at all times. I had specific types of vehicles I needed and did daily search's for those vehicles in a 3 state area. You get very educated about vehicles, their values, and the person selling them being complete fing idiots. You do this enough and you will run across some sweetheart deals, but you need to be ready to move on them when you do.

I also had specific equipment needs, and could sometimes score a vehicle, a trailer and maybe equipment in a 2 day run. I bought what I needed and sold the rest. I could bring the trailer back from Northern CA with the piece of equipment or the vehicle I was buying, and then just by getting the unit into a different metro area, easily flip the trailer for at least 25% more than I paid for it. I paid cash so I got good deals.

I do not need 45K pickups, or 38K cars. I drive a 13 year old Ford Explorer, an 18 year old Ford pickup. Both are in excellent condition and will serve me well for at least another 4 years or longer.

Car dealers are business' and used car dealers are crooked sleaze ball POS's. I have not bought a car or vehicle from a dealer in the last 20 years, and that is probably over 65 transactions.

I have had a LX470 and it was one of the best vehicles I have ever owned, the GX470 is a little smaller. If you are thinking that size I would also recommend checking out the Audi q7 and avoiding the BMW X series. I have owned both and would not want another x5.
As for landcruisers, well I do love them. I have owned many of them and own a highly modded 80. I am keeping an eye out for a nice LX470 right now.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top