JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Quite surprised that so many had not heard it before. Surmised ahead of time that those with interests in "modern" and "new" may not have.

Even more surprised that Mods here claim no familiarity: it's showed up here on classifieds enough to prompt me to start this thread.

@Knobgoblin made a (perhaps valid) observation of "generational and regional".

@titsonritz was less kind with reference to situational awareness toward certain Elmers amongst us.

@Andy54Hawken established himself as the "Honest John" of the used gun lot. 'Cept he's more like "Al" of "Al's Carpet": ("Well, if I SOLD Al's Carpet, it wouldn't be Al's Carpet anymore now, would it?")

@03A3Sporter and @Wombat of Doom restored my faith that the phrase was quite common (at least for them and myself), along with a concise understanding of what it might mean.

Which begs the question: What other "catch phrases" of buying and selling guns raise your eyebrows (or hackles)? For me, it is the "fashion speak" terms which when invoked are an attempt to display one's "superior knowledge" toward another.

They're just like "honest gun". If you have to say it, chances are you probably don't have it.

Quite surprised that so many had not heard it before. Surmised ahead of time that those with interests in "modern" and "new" may not have.

Even more surprised that Mods here claim no familiarity: it's showed up here on classifieds enough to prompt me to start this thread.

@Knobgoblin made a (perhaps valid) observation of "generational and regional".

@titsonritz was less kind with reference to situational awareness toward certain Elmers amongst us.

@Andy54Hawken established himself as the "Honest John" of the used gun lot. 'Cept he's more like "Al" of "Al's Carpet": ("Well, if I SOLD Al's Carpet, it wouldn't be Al's Carpet anymore now, would it?")

@03A3Sporter and @Wombat of Doom restored my faith that the phrase was quite common (at least for them and myself), along with a concise understanding of what it might mean.

Which begs the question: What other "catch phrases" of buying and selling guns raise your eyebrows (or hackles)? For me, it is the "fashion speak" terms which when invoked are an attempt to display one's "superior knowledge" toward another.

They're just like "honest gun". If you have to say it, chances are you probably don't have it.

"You can tell it's been in combat because"...whatever :rolleyes:

When buying a firearm...its always better to just buy the gun and not the story.

I have a few old guns...and while I think I know some of the stories behind them. , often when researching them...I find out differently.
Many I just know as being old...and am careful to state so when putting them on display.

Also its important to me at least , that while I am displaying a firearm , to let the viewer know how much is original to the firearm , what is a period of use repair or a modern repair / restoration.
Andy

Educating one's self regarding a newly acquired gun is to me nearly half (or more sometimes) the pleasure of owning it. That education can include the history of the model (not necessarily the individual gun), how to load and shoot it, and what accoutrements may be associated with it.

Stories must be taken with a grain of salt. Especially when they are (at least) secondhand.
It is the rare occasion that when researching a gun and the "story" behind it that the story can be confirmed by hard data newly discovered.

The best (and easiest) approach is to begin with healthy skepticism and look for the ONE THING that can disprove the story out of hand. Having presented this approach as my strategy toward a certain gun received kind favor from a foremost researcher in firearms forensics who then assisted me greatly and with personal interest.

Every once in a while that approach is "unsuccessful" in that no morsel uncovered disproves the story. That does not necessarily confirm it.

And perhaps once in a lifetime that approach uncovers frightening things and sequences of events that render the story the most probable conclusion.

The story behind that guy is....shall we say....colorful.

My late friend really wanted a full auto Thompson and was told by Fairly Honest Don that there were none to be had, so he let himself get talked into a Cobray SWD 11/nine SMG along with a Bowers suppressor that was gathering dust inside a display case.
As soon as the tax forms were sent in, Mr. Almost Honest calls up my friend and says that he miraculously found a Thompson for sale.
My blue collar working friend had recently inherited a sizable amount of money and Fairly Honest Don saw him coming as soon as he walked in the door.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top