JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is the "Off Topic" sections so I hope I can post this here. I have this bike (1976) in great shape and I cleaned the carbs out. I couldn't kick start it, but I did the 'ol gas in the spark plug trick and I got it to fire and burn only that gas but nothing else. Here is the question and I know it is stupid, but I'm sucking up my pride and asking. . . . do I need the battery in order for this to run or is it only to power lights? :eek: There I said it. If someone out there with some infinite wisdom can help. Give me a jingle or just reply to the ad. I have tried roll starting it and it only works with the gas in the spark plug trick and then dies. Let me know.

BJ
(503) 880-8411

No, you shouldn't need the battery for it to run. I would say you are having a fuel problem. Pull the fuel line off of the carb and see if gas is getting to the carb.

If not, I would pull the carb off of it and clean it out good. Make sure you clean the jets out and also make sure the floats are moving freely and don't have holes in them.

I flipped the petcock to the "on" position and pulled the fuel line of and it is dribbling out and then I unscrewed the drain screw from the bottom of the bowl and fuel started coming out. Is the float the piece that sits above the jets and has two foam circles on the sides and sits below the jets? I did clean the carbs out completely. Jets are clear and everything is factory lime the pipes so I shouldn't have to re pipe it.

you should pull the points cover to see if it points or electronic if electronic you will need a battery. you can jump it with battery cables if need be. also check the air cleaner. if it has a mouse nest then the engine can not suck in fuel. had that happen befor.

It is 6 volt it only has three chambers. I put it on a charger that does 6 and 12 volts and when I connected it the connected light and the charge light came on. Then it jumped to 75% complete, then went to charged and then fell down to only the connected and charge light and so on and so on.

You have a bad cell in the battery as it needs to have a complete cuircut to function/start. The battery can be dead but needs to be hooked up and not separated internally. I would also check the idle jet as these are the first to plug up when sitting for long periods, this is a very small hole and has to be held to the light to see. If it is plugged the Honda shops usually have them in stock and are around $13. I use wire size drill bits on mine but you need to know what size the jet is. The floats if foam should be good these seldom go bad. If it runs fine with your method the idle jet is most likely the problem.

here is how I test for no fuel. I use a propane bottle with a torch end unscrew the tip and attach a rubber hose. I take the hose and feed propane into the carb. just cracked the control knob a little. if its not getting fuel it should start and run with the propane. safer than useing gas or starter spray. that should make it clear if its fuel of electrical.

Correct. I checked all the jets and they are clear and your right that idle jet is tiny. One other thing though. The choke is stuck in the on position and the means the valves at the air intake for the carb are basically closed. If the thingbis cold blooded maybe I need to lossten up the choke or just disconnect the cable and open it manually to see if that works. Let mr know what you guys think. I appreciate the advice!

BJ

I've got a 1976 xl 250. It runs on a magneto. only needs the battery for turn signals, horn. The float needle valve is probably stuck in the closed position. Ensure that fuel is indeed flowing thru the shutoff valve first, then pop off the float bowl and check for float movement and needle valve movement. If you don't have the skills for this, call a honda repair shop. D.S. Cycle in beaverton can fix it for you. by the way, if it starts with gas in the spark plug hole, the ignition system is good. Sounds like fuel delivery problem. Greydog.:):)

I've got a 1976 xl 250. It runs on a magneto. only needs the battery for turn signals, horn. The float needle valve is probably stuck in the closed position. Ensure that fuel is indeed flowing thru the shutoff valve first, then pop off the float bowl and check for float movement and needle valve movement. If you don't have the skills for this, call a honda repair shop. D.S. Cycle in beaverton can fix it for you. by the way, if it starts with gas in the spark plug hole, the ignition system is good. Sounds like fuel delivery problem. Greydog.:):)

Yep. That's what I was trying to say, just not as well. lol

I just got the bike running pretty good and it idles a little below 2,000 rpm and for me that is pretty darn good considering. I first want to thank all of you for your advice cause she runs good now. Last favor I have is if someone could tell me how to post a video on here for you all to look at. I took it with my iPhone. Thanks againg guys!

BJ

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads