JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have decided to add another project to my mile long list of unfinished projects and project ideas. I would like to make a pistol brace by redesigning a standard M4 style stock in to a stabilizing brace.

There are two main modifications I will perform in the redesign. First up is to grind out two smoothly radiused half circles on each side of the butt end to provide a cradle for the shooters forearm to nest in. Secondly I will add a strap similiar to the one in the photo at bottom of this post. This strap will be used to keep shooters forearm nestled in to cradle.

Any other thoughts on modifications that would make this brace more comfortable to shoot when strapped to the shooters forearm, are welcome.

I'll post pictures of my progress in this thread. My plan is to only use this on a 16"+ barreled upper until I am reasonably confident it will pass as a stabilizing brace with the ATF.

IWEAPONS®-Velcro-Sling-Adapter-for-M4-Style-Buttstock.jpg

Own a Freedom Arms .454 and it came with a sling for stability. Can't take a picture of self using it, but for off hand shots with heavy handgun makes a great difference. May try to post a picture later. Good luck.

Sorry, but isn't that sort of what the SB15 and SBA4/SBM4 braces look like??? :s0092:

Otherwise... my main concern would be that you ain't got enough space on either side of the triangular fin/support in the middle to be able to rest against the forearm.

The closest would be one of these SB Tac braces or one of the other brands' cheek rest braces.

Edit. You likely would need to 3d print a version; since modifying a shoulder stock still makes it a stock, at least what ATF could say, as they haven't put out "once a stock, always a stock" thing like they did for rifle receivers ("once a rifle, always a rifle") and machine gun receivers. :(:confused:

On the other hand, you might need to be more concerned that even after cutting out two radiused cutouts on the butt plate, the ATF might say you still have enough surface to shoulder it :s0092:

Last Edited:
Sorry, but isn't that sort of what the SB15 and SBA4/SBM4 braces look like??? :s0092:

Otherwise... my main concern would be that you ain't got enough space on either side of the triangular fin/support in the middle to be able to rest against the forearm.

The closest would be one of these SB Tac braces or one of the other brands' cheek rest braces.

Edit. You likely would need to 3d print a version; since modifying a shoulder stock still makes it a stock, at least what ATF could say, as they haven't put out "once a stock, always a stock" thing like they did for rifle receivers ("once a rifle, always a rifle") and machine gun receivers. :(:confused:

On the other hand, you might need to be more concerned that even after cutting out two radiused cutouts on the butt plate, the ATF might say you still have enough surface to shoulder it :s0092:
All good thoughts. The ATF has said that an approved stabilizing brace can be redesigned in to a stock. In my mind that means a stock can be turned in to a brace. I haven't seen any ATF guidance saying once a stock always a stock. You might be right about the surface left on the butt plate. I haven't been able to find any requirements on max area allowed. I can look at approved braces and try to keep the surface equal to or less than those.

All good thoughts. The ATF has said that an approved stabilizing brace can be redesigned in to a stock. In my mind that means a stock can be turned in to a brace. I haven't seen any ATF guidance saying once a stock always a stock. You might be right about the surface left on the butt plate. I haven't been able to find any requirements on max area allowed. I can look at approved braces and try to keep the surface equal to or less than those.
The slightly significant issue here...
Remember the whole thompson center encore and similar modular firearms?
The ATF has said if it started as a pistol(receiver), its okay to convert to rifle and back; but starting with a rifle(receiver) is not okay to convert to pistol; because once a rifle, always a rifle:s0092: Thats why the SBR definition says "made from a rifle" regardless of barrel length or stock being present or not. "Cutting down" a rifle barrel to pistol length/under 16" is no no, "rebarreling" a pistol barrel to rifle length is fine.
The same logic might be used against the stock to brace versus brace to stock :s0054::confused:

The slightly significant issue here...
Remember the whole thompson center encore and similar modular firearms?
The ATF has said if it started as a pistol(receiver), its okay to convert to rifle and back; but starting with a rifle(receiver) is not okay to convert to pistol; because once a rifle, always a rifle:s0092: Thats why the SBR definition says "made from a rifle" regardless of barrel length or stock being present or not. "Cutting down" a rifle barrel to pistol length/under 16" is no no, "rebarreling" a pistol barrel to rifle length is fine.
The same logic might be used against the stock to brace versus brace to stock :s0054::confused:
It could be the same logic but I haven't heard that.

It could be the same logic but I haven't heard that.
Thats why I said might. On one hand, they have said that if the accessory was originally designed to be shouldered then yes its a stock, and if it was not designed to be shouldered its OKAY... but then again they have also said one needs to submit accessory attached to firearm to get opinion letter of approval:s0092:

Seems to me, given the challenges of getting the ATF's blessings on such things, that it's not really worth the effort!
Once upon a time, there was the 'Carbon 15" that had a stock that for all intents and purposes was close to what your looking to do, and I remember some folks tried to get it approved as a brace, and the ATF said NOPE!

Thats why I said might. On one hand, they have said that if the accessory was originally designed to be shouldered then yes its a stock, and if it was not designed to be shouldered its OKAY... but then again they have also said one needs to submit accessory attached to firearm to get opinion letter of approval:s0092:
Yep I've read that part about having to send in the entire firearm. I'm it would be smart to send in 16+ inch barreled pistol in case the decide the brace is a stock and not a brace.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top