1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this week -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Homemade shooting range

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by chickenfarmer, Mar 14, 2016.

1. chickenfarmer

chickenfarmer dayton, or Member

Want to build a pistol range close to the house but the ground that is in the safe directions is sloping downhill. My question is does it matter if myself and target are on the same downhill plane? Or should it all be level. Also what are you using to build a backstop?
  2. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Old tires. Or of you have a way to get shredded tires and put them in between plywood boards. With a nice dirt mound behind it.

That's what I would do.
    Steve32 and chickenfarmer like this.
  3. The Nothing

The Nothing PDX Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

how about going down towards the bottom of that downhill slope with a dozer or front end loader, and making a lil flat spot?
    BDA.45, Joe13 and chickenfarmer like this.
  4. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

level is best, I have a sheet of 5/8 in steel at a 30* angle with a rubber drop sheet in front of the steel to prevent bounce backs/splatter
    chickenfarmer and Joe13 like this.
  5. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I'm with the heavy machinery to flatten out a path with a large burm at the end.

Only think I would add would be a few truck loads of sand on the side of the burm that is getting shot at - sand will soak up a lot of energy with no splatter or chance of a ricochet.

For liability issues or rather to prevent one, I would line the top of the burm with plywood slanted at 45 degrees leaning toward the shooter so you can prove none of your rounds have left your property.
    chickenfarmer likes this.