Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Homemade Shooting Bags

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by fletcher, Jan 12, 2013.

1. fletcher

fletcher Washington Co. Member

I think I have lurked enough, and decided it was finally time to contribute something useful. Plus, this will be a nice distraction from any AWB or UN/Blue Helmet treaty coming to take our guns.

Shooting Bag Instructions

Supplies needed: Outer Material fabric, inner liner material (if desired), bag filler of choice such as sand, beans, dried legumes, etc.

Picking the size, shape, and material for your bag:

Decide on the desired, final size of your bag. For me, I wanted two bags; 8x8 inches, and 4x8 inches. For that, I cut material one inch larger than that (9x9 squares, or one 9x18 rectangle I could fold in half. In hindsight, I should have cut the bags a little larger, due to losing some height with the medium settling down into the base of the bag.

For materials, I chose a cotton-poly blended digital woodland camouflage pattern (A.K.A MARPAT) fabric from Joann Fabric. With a coupon, a 9x60 inch cut was $1.50. Since it’s not waterproof, and didn’t want the legumes to spoil in the bag, I also got a similar sized cut of vinyl lining to put inside the camo fabric. The lining cost $1.00.

WTVf2.jpg

For the bag medium, I grabbed the cheapest bags of split peas and barley from Safeway. I ended up using six one-pound bags, for a cost of a little over $6.00.

Hint: I took a piece of scrap fabric and made a prototype bag to test the height. I filled that with a couple of zip lock bags full of rice.

Le6i0.jpg
    YEw34.jpg

Assembly:

Cut the material to the desired dimensions, the vinyl measuring slightly less than the fabric. With a regular utility stich on a sewing machine, sew three of the four sides (or two of the three if you cut foldable rectangles). If you are using a fabric with a pattern, make sure you sew the fabric together inside out.

8f0L5.jpg

Then you can reverse the pocket, and the seams are on the inside. Do the same with the vinyl.

RyQvs.jpg

Filling the bags:

Pour your desired medium into the bag. Fill your bag to the desired level, but be sure not to over-fill.

6ubce.jpg

Sew the vinyl straight across at your desired level. I tried to get mine as close to the medium as possible. It’s kind of a pain, so see the hint below. Cut off the excess vinyl, but not too close to the stich.

Fold the open edge of the outer fabric into the inside of the bag about half an inch. Pin the two sides together and then sew shut.

8SYWx.jpg

Hint: I didn’t do this step, but should have. After reversing the vinyl, sew the top almost completely shut, save it be a small section. Use that small opening to insert a funnel or paper funnel, and then fill the vinyl bag with your medium. Once the vinyl is full to satisfaction, stitch the vinyl shut. Place the vinyl into the fabric pocket, and close the fabric pocket.

Final Results:

By having two different sized bags, you can use them in various configurations, depending on the setting. I think they turned out nicely.

XoOC7.jpg

jfw, BANE, belcher and 7 others like this.
  2. BANE

BANE Battle Ground WA. Well-Known Member

Thats a good idea. My wife won't let me play with her sewing machine. Thats alot cheaper than buying one

3. fletcher

fletcher Washington Co. Member

Yeah, my wife had to rescue me. I almost broke her machine.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  4. cowboygraphics

cowboygraphics Beaverton, OR Active Member

Handy instructions Fletcher! Thank you for sharing.

5. Mutoman

Mutoman North Bend Active Member

Thanks, we need an arts & crafts section on here. I'm gonna make a set of these, maybe two.

6. Just Me

Just Me Peoples Republik of Oregon Active Member

That is great. But your black rifle scares me. ;)

7. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Nice job, thanks!

8. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Ha! My wife is a quilter and a few years ago I sold a beloved 6" S&W 686 so she could buy the super duper national match of sewing machines ( that wasn't even the down payment on that sucker)! So if I want something sewn it darned well better get that way!

9. jfw

jfw Clackamas county Active Member

Thanks for sharring! This is a neat idea. Tri county doesn't supply the sand bags anymore so I have to get my own. This will make for fun little weekend project!

10. 97321

97321 Albany Active Member

Why did you pick peas/beans instead of rice?

11. Nanavic97

Nanavic97 Oregon, United States Member

Thats awesome! Thanks for sharing! I need to make some of these for sure!

12. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Nice show. on the honeypie do list

13. Nanavic97

Nanavic97 Oregon, United States Member

I believe its because its the magical fruit. Beans, beans the magical fruit, the more you eat the more you toot. I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself. I don't think theres a clever song for rice. It is a great idea though.

14. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Easy.....Legumes are much healthier than plain white rice!

Do I win something?

15. Greenbug

Greenbug Bend Well-Known Member

Nice job! I've taken the lazy approach on making my own shooting bags and used the legs cut off of old worn out blue jeans.

16. Gun Mechanic

Gun Mechanic Portland Active Member

Very nice write up!

I'm pretty sure in this case it's "bean, bean the magical fruit, the more you use the more you shoot.