JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Im proud of that mans honesty, it is sad to see him in a rough situation though. one thing i would like to see (not just from this next election) is how America treats its Veterans. They fight for every US citizens rights even if they dont know them, agree with them or despise them. They are what makes America great. Thank you to ALL vets!

wish i could have served with you.

Agreed.

What would make America great again is taking krapperdick and the kardashians money, and all those like them and giving it to our Vets.

But that's a different thread.

I think Trump missed a grest opportunity when in the forum last week with Veterans talking about how he can make a difference for Vets and their needs.
I think he would make more progress, We all know how killery treats Vets.

Just ask Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty.

The guy may have been honest but how do we know the man is actually a veteran let alone homeless? He has NEW clothes and hat that scream VETERAN but that proves nothing. I've been hit up for spare change downtown by many "veterans" who could not tell me what unit they were in, what their MOS was or the difference between an E1, W1 and O1. Call me cynical but I'm always skeptical when people asking for a handout tell me they are a veteran.

(Seriously) I have stood over SEVERAL MILLION dollars (at a pop) before and it never a occured to me to take a single note from the stack. o_O

Now contemplating taking the ENTIRE stack, that was an ENTIRELY different matter. :D

I used to drive armored transport. That was my exact daydream. If you are going to go, go big.

The guy may have been honest but how do we know the man is actually a veteran let alone homeless? He has NEW clothes and hat that scream VETERAN but that proves nothing. I've been hit up for spare change downtown by many "veterans" who could not tell me what unit they were in, what their MOS was or the difference between an E1, W1 and O1. Call me cynical but I'm always skeptical when people asking for a handout tell me they are a veteran.

I kind of got that vibe when he said "A lot of stuff I cant talk about", in my experience, that's a red flag.

Beyond that, I think what is more important to take away from this, is the guy running it's response. He made the decision to back a fellow vet. It doesn't really matter if any of us think he was or wasn't, I think what matters is what happened when one Vet encountered another "Vet" that needed a hand. That's how it should be.

Vet or not, he took the time to put the money away in a strangers glove box. That alone gives me a sliver of hope for humanity.

Every other dirt bag was mad when THEY got caught stealing from someone. The first guy told him "Go get a real job" and threw the money on the ground.

You don't get to advise people on career paths when you're a scum bag thief.

There are 2 homeless guys around here that wear there VA ID cards while they are standing on the street corners

I'm sorry. I cant abide this stuff. Just because someone is a veteran doesnt mean they should be a pitiable basket case that has to beg for spare change on the corner. If anything they should be held to a higher standard. I'm a vet and I come from a family full of them and I know lots and lots of them. You may have served your country and I understand that completely but that doesnt mean you "deserve" or are "entitled" to a blank check for the rest of your life from Uncle Sugar. Take that self reliance and toughness the military taught you and put it to use.

I'm sorry. I cant abide this stuff. Just because someone is a veteran doesnt mean they should be a pitiable basket case that has to beg for spare change on the corner. If anything they should be held to a higher standard. I'm a vet and I come from a family full of them and I know lots and lots of them. You may have served your country and I understand that completely but that doesnt mean you "deserve" or are "entitled" to a blank check for the rest of your life from Uncle Sugar. Take that self reliance and toughness the military taught you and put it to use.

+1 (8yr. Army vet)

I will say that when I was in the Army I knew plenty of people that came into the Army with a bum mentality and kept a bum mentality the entire time they were in. Just because they made it through 3-4 years without ( or with ) getting courts martial'ed out the door doesnt mean they ever left that bum mentality behind. They came in with a bum mindset and they left with a bum mindset and once they hit the streets they sloughed off into being a homeless street walking money begging bum. Sure, they can blame their PTSD, or their hearing loss or their bunions or whatever else they think they can use to milk Uncle Sam out of a check every month so they dont have to pull it together and go out and get a job. I have little to no respect for those people even though they voluntarily joined the US Military. Most were malingerers or worse when they were in.

My kids have either gone through the military or are on their way in and I tell them the same thing. Go in , do your tour and get out. After that Uncle Sam doesnt owe you a God Damned thing except for whats on your contract. Let him pay for your school and use that VA loan but get out there and get a job as soon as you are able. My oldest is writing his masters thesis right now and didnt spend a dime out of pocket to get there and he spent plenty of time dodging road side bombs and all kinds of other crap in Afghanistan with none of that feel sorry for me 'cause I'm a vet crap.

Last Edited:
I live in a community that is not far from a military base. The "pity the vet" thing doesn't work well around here. We take care of those that do need help. Not much sympathy for bums... vet, or not.

My father was enlisted Airforce for 30 years, my grandfather served on a French submarine in WWII (only 20 of 70 survived the war). My stepson has an honorable discharge from the AF as a plane mechanic and is now going back to school to be a pilot.

And then there is my other stepson. Soon to be veteran from the Army. After serving for 2 years he failed several weigh in checks and since he can be bothered to loose 5 lbs he is being discharged. He plays too much call of duty to be bothered to look for a job even though he has a wife and 1 year old kid now.

I would not be surprised if he put on his old uniform and sat at an intersection asking for handouts one day soon

I have a strong appreciation for veterans but I agree that we should not worship them.

Part of the whole veteran worship thing comes from the all volunteer military where we have initiated a sort of warrior caste. 95% of the people out there don't know of or are not related to anyone in the military. They get told to worship veterans so they do it because thats a lot easier than sending your own kids out to be Team America. Whenever someone asks me if I was in the military ( when I'm milking my military discount ) I tell them all I did was drink a lot and chase girls. Don't thank me for my service.

Are you a Vet LARRYTPDX My :s0159: is NO your not a vet

With the exception of an uncle who had what we now call multiple sclerosis, every male person in my family - from me back - has served in an Army or Navy since 1901. Only one died [my grandfather], but all were wounded.

You treat veterans way differently than we do over here, as it is an offence to wear military uniform with insignia after you quit the service. The Royal British Legion, the British version of the VA, requires you to wear a beret, blazer and medals [enlisted men and women] or derby [also carrying a rolled umbrella], a dark three-piece suit if an officer on parades. Otherwise you'd never know a vet in street unless he was wearing one of those tiny little vet pins. I don't, as my style of clothing doesn't lend itself to add-ons like that.

I've never seen anybody here claiming to be a veteran and begging, although I have no doubt there are some like that.

(By the way, if any of you guys could see your way to 'lending' me a few bucks, I'd be very grateful....) o_O

tac

I didn't see the vet begging for anything he merely put the money in the glove box wake up

I was a 97-E Interrogator in a military intelligence unit. Yes, I was an oxymoronic walking contradiction. My primary weapon was a clipboard. My mission would be to gather timely information from POWs to be used to save the nuts (Secret Squirrel!) of the guys on the front line. Useful? Sure. Am I a vet? Yes. Am I friggin' Rambo? Don't make me laugh.

Most people who serve now do so in the rear with the gear. Like me, they may have heard shots fired in anger but they weren't going *crack!* inches from their heads. After Vietnam the determination was made that an Army of draftees was not sufficient to fight our wars for empire. (If you think we're not an Empire you need to get a clue). A smaller, more professional force insulated from the awareness of most Americans was needed to fight more numerous optional wars without pesky protestors gumming things up. That's what we have now, and most people seem to like it that way.

The downside is that since hardly anyone serves anymore everyone feels free to stay home and play chicken hawk. Let's go over there and kick azz... using someone else's kid. Those same people idealize people in uniform because they have no clue about real service, just movies and propaganda.

There is a wide range of people who join up. There are the true patriots wanting to serve. There are those with something to prove. There are those who just want the college money. And, let's be honest, there are some that join because they would be homeless on the street if they didn't.. and end up there anyway after separation.

I don't have a stupid yellow ribbon on my car. I don't thank vets for their service and hate it when people thank me. Those things are cheap cop-outs. I'll give that guy by the side of the road a buck or two because he needs it, not because he claims to be a vet.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top