JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Love it. Since the majority of the voters there want this, they can have it. A lot of the scum will head to their place and leave others alone. Cites with homeless scum who do not want help should pass out 1 way buss tickets to Potland. Along with a flyer of how Potland is welcoming them. Be fun to see just how bad it has to get there before the voters decide they have had enough.
Regarding one way tickets for homeless to Portland. That is really happening and has been going on for years now. I know someone who works for one of the homeless groups and she said AZ, NV, NM ( I can't remember if she said CA or not) all give them free one way bus tickets to POrtland. Legal pot (and now legal hard drugs of any kind), a community that will feed them and look after them, free rein to steal what they want, laws specifically preventing anyone kicking them out. It's like a free ticket to paradise for them. A recent law passed in Portland makes it so that if you call the cops to remove a homeless person and they have the legal "right" to be there, the person who called in can be fined (not kidding).

To be fair, other than the mentally ill ones, I reckon most of the homeless people would rather be under a roof than sleep on the street and I also thing that many are homeless due to circumstances beyond their control, such as loosing everything due to lack of health insurance or they were "downsized" out of a job. Hence what they have is all that they have in life, and to lose it with no hope of re-attaining it would be a burden.

That said, it is sad that a nation as rich as ours can't seem to find a way to get people sorted and back on their feet. At least the ones that want to once again lead normal lives.

I am not defending all of them; rather I am opining that not every one of them is a lazy loser.
Maybe, Maybe not. But, as a former homeless person who was homeless as a matter of circumstance and pulled up so as not to crash into the figurative mountain, I can tell you for certain that if you're not a total POS, you can eke out a place to shower, wash clothes, crash, etc, as long as people can sense you're trying to change trajectory. Hitting the level of actually being in a tent, sleeping on the sidewalk or living (permanently) in your vehicle requires a decision to be made.

Regarding one way tickets for homeless to Portland. That is really happening and has been going on for years now. I know someone who works for one of the homeless groups and she said AZ, NV, NM ( I can't remember if she said CA or not) all give them free one way bus tickets to POrtland. Legal pot (and now legal hard drugs of any kind), a community that will feed them and look after them, free rein to steal what they want, laws specifically preventing anyone kicking them out. It's like a free ticket to paradise for them. A recent law passed in Portland makes it so that if you call the cops to remove a homeless person and they have the legal "right" to be there, the person who called in can be fined (not kidding).
Can you post a link to that law? I think you might be mistaken, but I've also been wrong. And the harder stuff is only decriminalized in personal use amounts of a few grams or less. Sales (or intent to sell) or possession of more than the personal use limit still net a felony.

Hell I was making a joke, had no idea some localities were doing it. Since Potland is awaiting them with open arms? Why not.

.... And the harder stuff is only decriminalized in personal use amounts of a few grams or less. Sales (or intent to sell) or possession of more than the personal use limit still net a felony.
Yup.

However, that's not what the druggies throughout the country CHOOSE to hear.

They "think" all that schnitzel is flowing free & clear.

Hence, we will be seeing a massive influx of drug addicts from a crossed the country...stack on more "great" folks to the homeless population.

Yup.

However, that's not what the druggies throughout the country CHOOSE to hear.

They "think" all that schnitzel is flowing free & clear.

Hence, we will be seeing a massive influx of drug addicts from a crossed the country...stack on more "great" folks to the homeless population.
It's also why there has been an influx of cartel affiliated street gangs.

Can you post a link to that law? I think you might be mistaken, but I've also been wrong. And the harder stuff is only decriminalized in personal use amounts of a few grams or less. Sales (or intent to sell) or possession of more than the personal use limit still net a felony.
I found it after hearing a police officer report it to a dispatcher (before 2020 encryption). The dispatcher said something like "are you sure", they went back and forth a couple times which they never do, and then I looked up the number (I think it was the ordinance number). I probably bookmarked it somewhere.

"That said, it is sad that a nation as rich as ours can't seem to find a way to get people sorted and back on their feet. At least the ones that want to once again lead normal lives.
I am not defending all of them; rather I am opining that not every one of them is a lazy loser."

Maybe not ALL of them, but there certainly is a sizeable %age who are "homeless" by choice, and reject all the bleeding hearts who keep trying to convince them to accept the magnanimous offers of aid "to get people sorted and back on their feet."
"Homeless" is far too noble a term to describe people derelicts who panhandle for a "living" and take a dump in the street as their preferred lifestyle. "Bums," "vagrants," "guttersnipes," and "tramps" used to be the descriptive nomenclature for those who contribute nothing and think they are owed the essentials of life just because.

Legalizing drugs may actually be an answer. Dope is expensive because it's illegal. If that weren't the case they could support their habits without all the crime, and Darwin would take care of them.

Jennifer Bryant, another plaintiff, reported that Rapid Response destroyed her tent during a sweep, days before a severe winter storm in February. She has experienced four encampment removals in six months.
You'd think this would be a sign...

-Robert

The homeless have roadmaps of America and they congregate where they are treated well.

I know a man that was homeless for a long time, and he pulled himself up through a housing/jobs program. He told me those housing programs work "maybe 1% of the time", and there is no easy solution for dealing with homelessness. He told me most homeless people cannot live in apartments because they miss the "social life" of homeless camps. Many homeless are kicked off of housing programs because they allow their homeless friends to come over and sleep/shower or use drugs in the apartment. Or they use the apartment as a place to sell or trade stolen items for favors.

There is a lot of violence in homeless camps, most related to theft of personal items or women as chattel. Homeless camps are not a good place for women. Rapes are very common.

Not all of the homeless are on drugs. Many of them just reject society. As in, do not want to participate in society. People need to stop looking at the homeless like the family dog that got out, running around the neighborhood scared. For most of the homeless this lifestyle is a choice.

A new 1% additional income tax on people and businesses has been passed in Portland to support homeless. This $ will go to groups feeding and providing services to homeless (i.e. creating "infrastructure" to support homeless). This free food and other services will in turn make it even more desirable for more homeless to move to portland. This increased homeless population will create a need for more taxes to provide more food and services to the larger homeless population. This will create a bigger incentive for more homelss to come to Portland, and so on and so on. Meanwhile the large homeless population steals the property of the taxpayers and wolking people who are paying for these services. Unbelievable.

Also a large portion of the burden on the already overstretched local police to respond to calls comes from the homeless population, so that those taxpayers and regular working folk are less able to get police services if they need it.
"If you build it (support it).......more will come."

Aloha, Mark

I can't find it just now, but I read an article on what it was like to be homeless but not one of the suspect groups - ie not a criminal, not an addict, etc.

The major complaints are that almost all programs are geared for those who have the issues.
Those like that author, are expected to pull themselves up.

I have a friend who as working-poor most of her adult life. Having jobs, but not a career -- ie clerk, not a manager.
She got some help thru the church to get a degree based upon her life experience and limited classroom. (she would take the 1-day classes as her required electives for example) That has allowed her to provide for herself and her disabled child. Many jobs require a degree "just because."
Not homeless but adjacent. She has described not being eligible for benefits as she didn't fit those with issues, nor homeless.

Maybe 30 years ago c 1990, we had a neighbor whose husband decided to "mess with" the 4 yr old daughter. She could not get welfare as she owned her Toyota. Asset. She had to give up a reliable car to get basic help. This woman had been a housewife/mother and not a career-oriented person.

When I was in Jr. High my parents divorced. We ended up living with my Aunt and her family. By today's standards that is homeless. ( for schools, sharing a bedroom counts as homeless ) The lunch tickets were a different color for those who got free/reduced back then.

It is a very complex problem.

Not everyone voted for the current mess in potlandistan...

I think the sweeps should happen every day of the week, at every damn hour of the day. While they are at it they need to do the sweeps downtown in the city offices. The bureaucrats are the same as the ferals and squatters on city streets.

Not everyone voted for the current mess in potlandistan...

I think the sweeps should happen every day of the week, at every damn hour of the day. While they are at it they need to do the sweeps downtown in the city offices. The bureaucrats are the same as the ferals and squatters on city streets.
Agree. If they want to end homelessness they should setup temporary housing for them within 100' of each city council members residence and sweeps will re-locate them there. Homeless problem would be gone within 6 months.

Haven't read it yet, but am always skeptical of European solutions. But, sometimes there is a piece here and there that can be useful.

Usually the article ignores the Federalist nature of our form of government, sometimes it's the cultural differences or all of the above.

And then I'm skeptical cuz it's the WaPo..... 😏

I have a feeling this will be the year that these large encampments become the main source of urbanized wildfires.
No sympathies for the ferals occupying the tents.

KOIN.com: Barriers block access to Vancouver houseless camp fire.

"I think the sweeps should happen every day of the week, at every damn hour of the day. While they are at it they need to do the sweeps downtown in the city offices. The bureaucrats are the same as the ferals and squatters on city streets."

When I see the masses of tents metastasizing on every patch of bare ground visions of Tianamen Square dance in my head.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top