JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Terrabolsa's explanation about a port of entry and importation requirements seems to provide the best legal explanation and justification for border patrol seizing your weapon. I 100% agree with their decision to take your gun. You were not traveling from East to West Berlin during the height of the Cold War. You were traveling from a friendly country into the United States. Border Patrol learned that you were leaving a friendly country after just committing, what is in Canada, a very serious crime. Border Patrol works on a daily basis with their Canadian counterparts to stem the flow of BC Bud, ecstasy, laundered money, illegal immigrants, possible terrorists, and various other forms of contraband across the border-in both directions. You should have set off alarm bells and border patrol was right to find any legal excuse to seize your weapon. If you were so willing to commit a major Felony in Canada, what other criminal activity might you be up to? Border Patrol probably notified Canadian authorities about the gun within moments of finding it. They probably endeavored to learn whether or not the gun was used in any other crimes in Canada. A full and detailed report, including your statements and any lab tests on the gun was made available to Canadian authorities. They will not extradite you into Canada, but I would wager that If you try to re-enter Canada in the near future, you will be arrested and that gun and all associated reports will be provided to Canadian authorities to assist with your prosecution. On a personal level, border patrol's loyalty probably lies with the members of Canadian law enforcement that they work with on a daily basis, not with the American citizen that wantonly violated the laws of a sovereign nation and ally.

"Dear OP
Be sure and let us know what happens when you carry your gun through security at the airport. "

Dang it, I tried that last week on a trip to Miami. Can you believe they took another one from me? Now they have 2. Gosh, when will I learn?
I suspect the above statement is the humor you sought.

Wow, you're getting off lite!

Pay for the gun, get it back, or let it go... And remember this next time you want to sneak a gun into and out of another country.

Better yet, stop sneaking guns in and out of other countries...
One would think this would be common sense.

Next time I would consider mailing your gun over, instead of taking it past the border

getting off topic

Not really. Sounds like you broke the law and don't like the answers you're getting here.

WAW, WAH, WAH. My feelings are hurt so I'm going to take my ball and go home!

8 former US Presidents have been NRA Members
80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
South West Washington Arms Collector memb

"Dear OP
Be sure and let us know what happens when you carry your gun through security at the airport. "

Dang it, I tried that last week on a trip to Miami. Can you believe they took another one from me? Now they have 2. Gosh, when will I learn?
I suspect the above statement is the humor you sought.

Actually making a point that one is just as intelligent as the other.
That is all.
Seriously, I pitty you losing your gat, but I also believe it was well deserved. You cannot justify what you did. As others have stated, you should count your lucky stars you didnt end up with some time in the slammer.

This thread is like saying

"I had a HUGE pile of fresh meat on an Alaskan trail in the spring time and a bear came and ate it and took my lunch"

This thread is like saying

"I had a HUGE pile of fresh meat on an Alaskan trail in the spring time and a bear came and ate it and took my lunch"

Seriously.
Can you imagine the internal conversation you would have to have with yourself in order to do this?
Then to actually admit it publicly here?
I have been fighting off the urge to say that WE are all better off with that gun being where ever it is now.

You have my sympathy, sir. I guess this is a learning point for you.

With that said: as others have posted, it doesn't matter if you do everything right, if the goons in uniform want your bubblegum, they take your bubblegum. And then bubblegum with you for so long, its not worth the cost of the item if/when you get it back.....
The reason you aren't in jail; now the good, upstanding Border Patrol clown who was simply doing his job and upholding the law, can take your gun home with him and noone is the wiser.

One of the most ignorant and asine posts ever made in this forum.

The poster obviously hasn't a clue about what the Border Patrol does.
Hint: They don't work at the Blaine Ports of Entry.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top