JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Seems everyone's primary issue is regarding entry into Canada which I deliberately omitted to avoid this thread growing redundantly into a "mothers finger shake". Please understand that when I last traveled to Canada I was 19 and did not have a legal capacity to conceal a weapon. The gun wasn't seized by the Canadian border; the U.S. border seized it so let’s stay on track here. I was polite with homeland security through the entirety of this process. I merely wanted to learn specifically why my gun was being seized. Alternatively, I received ambiguous statements: “have violated a number of laws." When criminals are apprehended and charged, they learn of their charges, aye? Since I wasn’t being criminally charged (and this also wasn’t clear), and nothing specific was stated about the issue of forms/and prohibited entry why wouldn’t someone be frustrated with someone taking their firearm?

Fundamentally put, I was on U.S. territory carrying a weapon I am legally allowed to carry. Its placement caused no threat, my actions were never suspicious, and I disclosed all material facts when provoked. I don’t appreciate being treated like a criminal and having to pay for my gun twice. Finally, I researched and grew familiar with the alleged violations and found on legal grounds that I could have my gun returned w/o paying fair-market value; the issue now lays with the border officer not liking being called out about not doing what he said and as a result probably not ruling in my favor.

WOW 22many. Thats super crazy stuff... Talk about victimizing. Fortunately, i think your circumstance is rare, but wow. How did he not get introuble for that?

I dont promote unmerited revenue schemes and because the officer indicated that 99% of people get their firearms back leads me to believe they are not seizing for safety reasons.

Seems everyone's primary issue is regarding entry into Canada which I deliberately omitted to avoid this thread growing redundantly into a "mothers finger shake". Please understand that when I last traveled to Canada I was 19 and did not have a legal capacity to conceal a weapon. The gun wasn't seized by the Canadian border; the U.S. border seized it so let's stay on track here. I was polite with homeland security through the entirety of this process. I merely wanted to learn specifically why my gun was being seized. Alternatively, I received ambiguous statements: "have violated a number of laws." When criminals are apprehended and charged, they learn of their charges, aye? Since I wasn't being criminally charged (and this also wasn't clear), and nothing specific was stated about the issue of forms/and prohibited entry why wouldn't someone be frustrated with someone taking their firearm?

Fundamentally put, I was on U.S. territory carrying a weapon I am legally allowed to carry. Its placement caused no threat, my actions were never suspicious, and I disclosed all material facts when provoked. I don't appreciate being treated like a criminal and having to pay for my gun twice. Finally, I researched and grew familiar with the alleged violations and found on legal grounds that I could have my gun returned w/o paying fair-market value; the issue now lays with the border officer not liking being called out about not doing what he said and as a result probably not ruling in my favor.

Let's clear up a few mis-statements:

1: You were not on US territory carrying a weapon you are legally allowed to carry.
You were seeking admission into the United States from a foreign country, with a firearm, at a US port of Entry.

2: You had no importation paperwork for the firearm you were importing.

3: You don't need to be criminally charged to have property denied entry into the United States. (IE the gun violated the law, not you)

4: This all could have been avoided if you had checked with Homeland Security before you left the United States.
It would have taken you all of 5 minutes to fill out a simple form that you would have shown to the officer on your way back in.
It's a routine thing as there are shooting compititions on both sides of the border nearly every weekend.

5: (John Wayne) Life is tough...It's tougher when you're stupid.

WOW 22many. Thats super crazy stuff... Talk about victimizing. Fortunately, i think your circumstance is rare, but wow. How did he not get introuble for that?

As far as the boat incident, the officer wrapped it up in so much red tape that to actually hold him accountable it would have taken years and alot of my money. As my lawer told me " it just isn't worth it".

My friends 47 willys that was stolen, it was found a year later in a drug raid. From my understanding, when Portland police siezed the jeep they didn't process it. The sergeant in control of the drug raid took it home and started restoring it. It wasn't until 2 years later, after the sergeant retired, that he went to register it and found out it was stolen.

Funny thing is, the Portland police never contacted him about it. He got a letter in the mail from the DMV. Even then, it cost him about $1200.00 in lawer fees to get it back.

My friend your situation takes the cake in severity. Sorry that he treated you like that. Hopefully, you were able to acquire another boat and continue your passion for fishing. Which auction did you buy it from anyway, copart or Iaa?

Funny thing,Dlutsky,you write pretty nice and all,and then you went across a border,with a gun,without proper paper work,to a country that is know for not liking guns and then tried to come home with the same gun and no paper work.

And I thought writing and reading went hand in hand.

All I have to suggest is,if you ever go back across the border do it with an old car or truck,or an old work van with no interior.

And stop at the drug store to get some KY jelly.

Oh and make sure you get a early start if you have an appointment.Cavity searches can take a while.Then there's putting the vehicle back together.

Much rather had read about this in the newspaper with your face on the cover.
Would have been good for a laugh.

"All I have to suggest is,if you ever go back across the border do it with an old car or truck,or an old work van with no interior."

Is this a plausible scenario?

"All I have to suggest is,if you ever go back across the border do it with an old car or truck,or an old work van with no interior."

Is this a plausible scenario?

Plausible? You mean like will my vehicle have any interior after the guys at the border get trough with it?

Take a naked vehicle,cause they will strip search your vehicle and it's up to you to put it back.
So many little hiding places in a car or truck,and they know most every one.

If they charge you with a crime, you probably won't be getting your gun back. If they don't charge you, then they SHOULD return the gun to you because they can't take your possessions without due process.

Probably won't work out that way, but it SHOULD.

You have my sympathy, sir. I guess this is a learning point for you.

With that said: as others have posted, it doesn't matter if you do everything right, if the goons in uniform want your bubblegum, they take your bubblegum. And then bubblegum with you for so long, its not worth the cost of the item if/when you get it back.....
The reason you aren't in jail; now the good, upstanding Border Patrol clown who was simply doing his job and upholding the law, can take your gun home with him and noone is the wiser.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top