JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think I'm with 92blue on this one. I understand that numerous Canadian rules broken. However, he was stopped coming back into the US by the United States Customs enforcement when his firearm was taken from him. I'll assume that's because of importation law which they were enforcing on behalf of BATFE. Why does he have to buy his gun back?

I think I'm with 92blue on this one. I understand that numerous Canadian rules broken. However, he was stopped coming back into the US by the United States Customs enforcement when his firearm was taken from him. I'll assume that's because of importation law which they were enforcing on behalf of BATFE. Why does he have to buy his gun back?

He should either be charged with a crime, or given it back.
I don't buy into any "method of revenue" BS.

Buy it back???............No...........that is not right. Something is not right.

all I can say is have fun getting back into canada again. I am pretty sure the DHS sent a memo over to them mounty guards on the other side of the partition and the op has a big fat red flag on him now. I would be interested to see if he does get back in to Canada what legal ramifications he would face if any.

all I can say is have fun getting back into canada again. I am pretty sure the DHS sent a memo over to them mounty guards on the other side of the partition and the op has a big fat red flag on him now. I would be interested to see if he does get back in to Canada what legal ramifications he would face if any.

Amen to that. I would suggest the OP put Canada on his permanent no travel list unless the gun laws there do a 180. Even if they do, he broke them when they were in effect.

what have we learned? Don't take firearms illegally into another country. ATFE does not control the borders. if memory serves me correctly, U.S. Customs has a form that is required to be filled out for travel to another country with a firearm. That way when you return it shows that you are not importing a weapon into the united states. Customs has criminal and civil enforcement powers, and good luck figuring it out. the basic thing is OP violated canadian and us customs regs, ignorance is no excuse for violation of the law. these kind of mistakes can be expensive. OP admitted to travelling into a foreign country with a firearm, he admitted to this with out the benefit of legal counsel. expensive lesson, and lucky that the word incarcerated did not appear in his post.

because when you bring a fire arm into the US you have to "import" it. Even if you bring one in as a GI that you at the rod and gun club...a US made firearm purchased on a US military installation overseas has to be "imported"....it's the law. US law. don't like it, don't take a fire arm outside of the US.

What surprises me about all this is that with all the questions and discussions on this forum about taking firearms across one state line to another, you had no reservations about taking a firearm across national lines?

unfortunately this has been happening to people for years.i know of one person 50 years ago lost his colt peacemaker to the border patrol.way different then..expensive learning lesson.it could have cost you lots more.count your blessings!

Long story short, the officer wanted your gun. I ran into a similar situation years ago with a boat I bought at a auction. It was a insurance recovery and everything was legit. It was properly licensed and tagged. I unloaded it in the marina one sunny day and the river patrol was training new recruits and decided to do a surprise inspection. No big deal, I had nothing to hide, even told them it was a insurance recovery I had bought 3 years prior. The officer was a complete ahole and seized the boat! He gave me the run-around about 30 days to claim, ect, ect. When I called him in 30 days he said I had to wait a additional 90 days. 90 days went buy and i called him. He said that i had "surrendered" the boat because i didnt reply within the 30 day to the actual seizure! At this point I got a attorney. The attorney tracked the boat down at the officers residence! Long story short, $6000.00 and 3 years later I got a bare hull back.

Similar thing happened to my friends 47 willys when it was stolen from his driveway.

Anyways, if I were you, forget the gun. You'll spend more trying to get it back.

Interesting that he is totally legal on the USA side of the border, yet has this problem.

No, he isn't totally legal on this side of the border either because he didn't have the legal documents to import a gun into the country.

FWIW- The hardware store west of I-5 (used to) store your gun for you for a very nominal fee.

Its been a few years since I took them up on it, but iirc it was $5 and they stick it in a paper bag with you name on it.

The bad part is you have to return during business hours to retrieve it, other than that its a great service/idea.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top