JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi All,

Last March I went to the ARPC Albany gun show and saw a book on how to build a .22 rifle from common household materials and plywood. Didn't buy the book....

I went to the Albany show today hoping to see it again, but had no luck.

Anybody know what I'm talking about? Anybody know where I can a copy of that book?

Hi All,

Last March I went to the ARPC Albany gun show and saw a book on how to build a .22 rifle from common household materials and plywood. Didn't buy the book....

I went to the Albany show today hoping to see it again, but had no luck.

Anybody know what I'm talking about? Anybody know where I can a copy of that book?

Hello, I am the author, was at the September ARPC gun show, but you must have missed me. I will be at the Lions Gun Show in Albany in late January, but the book, "Homebuilt Firearms" is available on my website ( "Kids' Book of Adventure Projects") $12 including shipping or on Amazon.com . I am presently working on a new book: "Homebuilt .45ACP Carbine" probably will have that about March 2013.
Thanks

Last Edited:
My gosh, that is great! You must tell your wife you are going to keep her another week!
( That's what I always tell mine...!!) Please thank her for me, too, I really appreciate the book sale.
I am working on "Homebuilt .45 ACP Carbine now. I am having a small mahine shop doing the bar magazine for this one, thought that diameter hole might be too much for my bench drill press, ha, ha! This wil be a 5 shot .45 repeater.
With the holiday time, the local shop is just now starting on the bar magazine, I'm now hoping to get the book out about late April, probably won't be done by the March ARPC gunshow.
Have a great New Year, fella!

I haven't been up there for any shows, but had thought about perhaps a Hillsboro or Beaverton show.... are there some good ones up there you would recommend? In the Southern Portland areas?
I have a son close by up there... I would need to probably stay over with him rather than drive back each evening. Most guys who come to the shows want to buy a gun, not build one .... but perhaps for the .45 Carbine book, they would be far more interested than for the homebuilt .22 .

Last Edited:
I have now finished the book and it is in printing. I should have it proof read fairly soon. It is about 140 pages with 80 photos and drawings. It uses a machined 4140 steel block as the linear magazine, 5 shots... (the equivalent of a revolver cylinder...) and a manufactured .45 barrel. The rest is made from steel scrap sheets 14 and 12 gauge... sort of stuff, wire welding, grinding, etc.
The book is large sized, 6.7" x 9.6" "Homebuilt .45 ACP Carbine"
It will be available from bookstores, Amazon, Ebay, etc.

pretty simple stuff, semi is easier than a closed bolt. plenty of plans out there. as for as simple a mac 10, or a variant would be cool, not as inaccurate as made out to be, or a sten, any of the "marks". While some bits may be a bit involved the concept is simple. of course built in semi auto configuration according to all batf specs involving "home built" firearms must be adhered to, it's a pity too because full auto are actually simpler.

got to decide which you want, but basically a tube, square or round, a bolt either striker fired or hammer fired, and a fire control group. once the basic mechanism is decided on, the barrel and furniture can be added.

You are right, there are those open bolt firearm books out there too.. a couple free on the Internet, a couple I believe on Amazon, and some on Palladin Press.
My first book on the .22 version was a try for a simple and legal gun that does not eject or feed the round, thus it does not jam, as most .22 semi-autos seem to do... it was essentially a revolver mechanism device with a 10 shot straight line magazine.
I wanted to do a simple gun build with only garage tools. No lathe or milling machine, just drill press, hacksaw, grinders, files and wire welder, Dremel. It is a crude looking build, but works.
Guys need to get back into building stuff from scratch, good experience and satisfaction.
Thanks for your comment, Coop.

Hartmang, do you have copies at home for sale?

I have a dislike for Amazon, from a salegone bad, and would prefer to provide you with their $$$. I would paypostage of course, PM me if possible sale on both books!!!

Thanks,

philip

(I put this here, just in case their were others who would want to dobusiness, "that way" rather than Amazon...)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews