JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay, I've been curious...

Do RC fliers or other wind-related hobbyists here have an anemometer (wind speed indicator) at home? It's probably redundant where I live with online wind reports and forecasts from 2 local airfields (KPDX & KHIO). And I can see 1000 trees from my windows - tall, short, pines, firs and leafy ones. Pretty obvious when they're flailing around that it's too windy to launch my birds.

But there it was in the store, taunting me. For $49 I couldn't walk away.

So before I even open the box - does anyone else here use one at home? Useful? Useless? Another addictive toy? Thanks in advance for opinions/ideas.

WX 1.JPG WX 4.JPG

I have that device.

Make sure it's in the open.

I don't do RC stuff I just monitor for when it's good shooting based on the rise and fall of the barometer.

I have something similar, but without the wind gauge: outdoor sensor that links to an indoor display of temp, humidity, barometric pressure, hi/low in last 24 hrs, etc.

Of course my first thought was the redneck weather forecaster
redneck weather forecast.jpg

when I went looking for a picture online, I found a couple other ideas

wind chime [needs a greater range of cartridge sizes
redneck wind chime.jpg

bird feeder
redneck bird feeder.jpg

Not sure what you are trying for, I don't use any thing but a wind sock for wind direction when flying my R/C Jets or other planes! Shooting would be where I would use something like this!

Good question! Once I'm up and at the field, I rely on available wind gauges (trees, grass, sprinkled dust, shirt tail flapping, etc.).

Too many times I've jumped up at the crack of dawn, charged batteries and driven to my 4-runway airfield (little league diamond) only to get there and realize it's windier than my little planes like.

As a semi-insomniac, I'm hoping I can look at this with one eye open from the comfort of my bed at 5-6am some weekend and then roll over and actually sleep until 8 if it's too breezy.

We've had one mounted on the shop for several years. Certainly not a necessity, but nice to have. As an FYI, change the batteries in the base station once a year. The ones on the transmitter have lasted for over 4 years now.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top