JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do you have a good 12 gauge pump shotgun? If not get one. I use #4 buckshot as an HD round, it's hard to beat over 30 20 caliber pellets going towards an intruder every time you pull the trigger.
Start with good outdoor lighting after that. Get a few warning signs that say beware of dog's plural: as in multiple dogs. Even if you don't have dogs place some large feed bowls and toys in obvious places. As someone who works in and around easements near homes as a lineman there is nothing that will get my attention faster and when you don't see a dog it's a fools bet to think that the hounds of Baskerville are not laying in wait.
Get some motion detector lighting that will take away the advantage of someones night vision. When the directional light comes on, surprise! Even if your not there now the perps not sure.
Never leave the premise unless your sure your fully prepared. When opening a front door, you have created a funnel of death to those behind you in your dwelling, let alone you should bullets start flying.
Use stops for sliding windows and doors, preferably with straps on them so you can find them in a smoke filled room in the event of a house fire and you need to exit.

Have a good super bright light placed in the same spot every night on a night stand near your bed, a Surefire is a good one. Glow in the dark tape on the handle is a good idea so you can find it when waking up without turning on any lights and loosing your night vision and your element of surprise.
It's not a bunch of money to spend to pick up a few motion activated high decibel alarms from Walmart, there are indoor and outdoor types.

Have kids at home? Set a room as a safe room in a back corner and train them to go to this location in the event of an intruder, this places them in one location that you can defend, REMEMBER do not allow yourself to fire from a position that places them behind you and an intruder firing towards you, bullets fly through sheet rock like it's butter.

Do you have a significant other who is familiar with firearms to work with in this event? One person laying back prepared to cover you without giving up the element of surprise is invaluable. Notice the reoccurring use of the term 'element of surprise' here. Be prepared mentally, not emotionally. Yes that's a tough one, but staying as calm as possible is a must here. Was that noise outside just your neighbors cat on your roof? leaving your dwelling to investigate puts you and those in your home at risk, use all means to survey if not sure, again you have the element of surprise as to your location with no lights on inside to give you away, once you step outside that's taken away.
Start now and train yourself to think in terms of (what ifs) to be mentally prepped. Remember, that noise may not be an intruder at all, it may be a family member coming home and not wanting to wake others up by turning on a light, I could never forgive myself for killing a loved one, be damned sure before pulling that trigger!:peace:

Get educated, take a class, there are many offered by many places, google is your friend. Practice shooting, if your going to shoot a pump 12ga take it to the trap range and use it. Take a deep look at yourself, be honest and ask the question are you willing to take a life in a situation that will never be as black and white as Hollywood.

Go to Goodwill, get yourself a beat up pair of size 14+ work boots to put at the front door and put a confederate flag up in the front window. Seriously though, I agree with the above post, good pump action shotgun, maybe a dog that will let you know when they think someone is getting too close to the property (my poor old lab is not quite the guard dog she used to be, half the time I come home after work it takes her about 15 minutes to realize I'm home and get off the bed to come see me but when she's on, she is pretty observent). Also, even if you don't have one, get a sign from an alarm company "this house is protected by so and so". A big one at my house is make sure everyone who comes and goes from the house knows to lock the door, when you leave, before bed, etc. I don't know if there really is a "good" way to prepare for an intruder because the adreneline that would kick in from that kind of situation would be difficult to simulate but getting as comfortable with your HD weapon(s) and making it as difficult to actually get in to the house is probably the best way to go. Good luck and hope none of us are ever in the position to have a home intruder.

The only thing I would add, is the simple rule of shooting.

Know what is beyond your target.

If you home is in the city, or subdivision and you have close neighbors, picture what shooting lanes you maybe using to defend yourself and what is beyond the target when you miss. And yes I said WHEN you miss. You'll be shooting under stress and you will miss regardless of how much training you've got. Try and figure out the best location you can shoot from to defend yourself. If a stray bullet through your kitchen is going to go straight into your neighbors living room, you may want to see if there is a better spot or angle you can fire at to better mitigate someone else who is not involved getting hurt.

I am not saying you're going to remember it, but if you do work out a home defense plan and practice enough, under stress you will fall back to your training. Just something else to keep in mind.

Remember, that noise may not be an intruder at all, it may be a family member coming home and not wanting to wake others up by turning on a light, I could never forgive myself for killing a loved one, be damned sure before pulling that trigger!:peace:

Exactly this. You don't want to go over the top with home defense, and you definitely don't want to end up like Oscar Pistorius. Oscar shot his girlfriend THROUGH a door. It is worth the extra second or two to positively figure out what is going on.

Who knows, maybe the guy coming in at 10PM with a gun is actually your best buddy returning your 22/45 :winkkiss:

There is so much more to home and self protection that just buying a gun and learning how to shoot.

You should do lots of reading, get some formal training in firearm handling, and above all start to educate yourself and find some training in situational awareness, situational analysis, threat recognition and analysis, escalating levels of force and a host of other things. This is not something you flip a switch on and become instantly competent at. This is a journey, one that will take the rest of your life, and you will have to train constantly to keep sharp. It becomes part and parcel of your lifestyle.

many people have a mindset that intrusion is when someone enters the home.
better to design and expand your perimeter so that preliminary indicators go live
at the property line or some such. by the time they're at the door or inside your
home, you may only have fractions or seconds to respond. extending your alert
area will by many more seconds...and options.

my nightstand guns all have lights attatched. Glock20 w night sights, Streamlight TLR2 laser/light. VEPR12 with Procyon Insight (with a cool strobe funciton). Wife on her side has a Ruger SR9c w rail light. I want to be sure of what I am hitting, and have a free hand instead of jumbling my flashlight in one hand and gun in the other. I have big zip ties next to the door for restraining. I hope I never have to shoot in my house, it would mean siginifcant hearing damage in such tight quarters.

Also have an alarm system that goes off if a window opens, door opens, even if someone were to walk in the barn. A locked gate does a lot too

I believe the question was how to train so I'm going to go from that perspective.

Go to the range and learn your firearm so well you can operate it in the dark with touch only. Learn malfunction clearing drills for your firearm. Practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more.

Attend a good, well regarded training class in Home Defense taught by a good instructor. This will teach legalities and techniques.

I've got a SIRT laser training pistol that I use for practice. NO chance of firing a round. If you can't get one, then use Snapcaps and actually run a drill in your house. Please make sure you don't have any live ammo near when doing a drill.

IDPA has been helpful for practice as well. Shooting on the move, over/under/around obstacles, various scenarios, reloading, drawing etc. If you can, I'd suggest taking an IDPA class from someone like Caleb Giddings. Just understand the gaming versus real life differences. It's more practice and that's a good thing.

Use the light or other equipment you have in the dark. Make sure you can operate it when you want and not when you don't. See if it does what you think it'll do. Too bright can blind you when it reflects off a smooth surface. Too dim and you don't see what's in the room.

Then practice some more. Make sure the people in your home know your plan if there's an invasion: ie get on the floor, then only the bad guys are standing; go to a specific room, etc.

How often do you see people on their cell phone or texting as they are walking...completely unaware of their surroundings? Many people are oblivious to their surroundings.
When you drive up to your home, do you look around for things that may be out of place? Do you have outdoor lighting that helps your home security? Do you check to ensure your doors and windows are locked when you leave? Do you lock your doors and windows when you are home? What do you always carry for protection? A knife, a handgun, mace? Have you ever taken any self defense classes?
Be aware of your surroundings is probably the best practice so you can identify trouble before it is in your face.

How often do you see people on their cell phone or texting as they are walking...completely unaware of their surroundings? Many people are oblivious to their surroundings.
When you drive up to your home, do you look around for things that may be out of place? Do you have outdoor lighting that helps your home security? Do you check to ensure your doors and windows are locked when you leave? Do you lock your doors and windows when you are home? What do you always carry for protection? A knife, a handgun, mace? Have you ever taken any self defense classes?
Be aware of your surroundings is probably the best practice so you can identify trouble before it is in your face.

Buy a double bbl shotty, no need for practice or familiarization. Should something go bump in the night proceed to the nearest portal to Outside and fire 2 rds into the ether. If you have a problem with:
1) The police - tell them that the man a heartbeat away from the most powerful position in the world said that's how to do it, and he's a Shyster Emeritus, so it must be not only OK but blessed by Crazy Joe.
2) The Orcs who threaten you -Tell the Orcs that Crazy Joe promised that they would nasty their knickers in fear and take flight, so they had better get to it. He is too important to be ignored by King Barry's fans, so they will immediately experience involuntary evacuation and flee in fear from your commanding presence.
Ha Ha Ha - if you believe this you probably voted Democrat, so you deserve the Darwin award you will receive from the police or the obstreporous Orcs. Glad I could help.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top