JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys kinda new to the gun scene. I wanted to get a shotgun for home protection. Something light and short (easy to maneuver) any suggestions? And what is the law on shotgun length, how short can it be? Thanks for your help!

The best shotgun for HD in my opinion is a Remington 870 Police. 18" barrel is plenty maneuverable and with the tube extension you get 6+1 3" shells. Utterly reliable and very high quality.

Some people like Mossberg 590s better, I recommend trying out both at the gun store and see which one works best for you. There are some key ergonomic differences like the placement of the safety.

Avoid 870 express models, they are kinda cheapy but they will do if you have limited funds.

An auto shotgun might be cool too, but I can shoot a pump almost as fast as an auto with 00 buck anyway and pumps are a bit more versatile.

Can't go wrong with the 870 or the 590.

I'd recommend a pump over a semi though. They are more reliable and a lot of people (me included) fill the tube up and leave the chamber empty with the action closed. So if something goes bump in the night you just chamber the first round and anyone who hears it with half a brain will leave your house quicker than they arrived.

I too have 870 18" bbl, blackhawk colapsable stock holds 7 shells. I would recommend #4 buck, couple viet nam vets i worked with said it was what they prefered and i've seen it on some defense dummys. OUCH

My Ithaca 37 with a 19.5 inch barrel serves me well. I prefer the wood stock to a pistol grip one as well, because I find that I am more accurate that way. My only "tactical" add on was a lot of range time finding out which buckshot patterns best.
Find a gun that "fits" and use it often enough so that operating it becomes second nature.
Andy

Most any quality pump action will work just fine.

I have had a Mossberg 500 for 13 years now, and it's great.

However, if I was planning on adding a collapsable stock and pistol grip (not PGO), I would prefer an 870 due to the placement of the safety.

very happy with my super nova.

Father once asked me when I was ponder which one to get, what is the value of your life?
Every time I think of saving some money on a cheap SD gun I ask that.

Don't have to spent a fortune, I just would feel good trusting mine and my families life on something cheap.

On the cheaper side of things: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/42605
It was my first gun, and it still sits next to my bed every night loaded with #4 buckshot.
Basically a cheaper mossberg 500 with some parts hecho en mexico. But a pump shotgun isn't too complex and there isn't too much to go wrong. I haven't had any problems with mine.
If I wanted to replace mine though, I would look at a remington 700 police.

Hey guys kinda new to the gun scene. I wanted to get a shotgun for home protection. Something light and short (easy to maneuver) any suggestions? And what is the law on shotgun length, how short can it be? Thanks for your help!

To answer your question - 18" That's why most HD shotguns are 18-1/8" approx. to stay legal.

No one has mentioned the Remington 870 Express for those on a tight budget? They go bang. You can get a mag extension for them for about $50 and they'll hold a couple of extra shells if you want. I've been out of touch, but Bi Mart was selling them last year for under $300 on sale.

What's so "unreliable" about a semi auto? My go-to gun is a Remington 1100 with a 22" barrel and it holds 10 rounds. The military's rifles are pretty much semi and full auto.

You can think used. I've never bought a new shotgun.

I'm in love with a nice clean older Remington Wingmaster pump with an 18 1/2" barrel that spent years in a jail for guard use. I think it might have been made before there was officially a "Remington Police?" ?? That short barrel Wingmaster was the Remington Police, at least in use. Many of those short barrel Wingmasters spent years in a patrol car and are pretty banged up on the outside, but I still like them. Mine is near mint.

Even if yours will hold 3" shells, I have to recommend the 2 3/4 inch. They are deadly, don't kick as hard, your gun may well hold an extra shot, and with the lesser kick I can get back on target faster.

I noticed that someone on here still has another case of 2 3/4" 00 buck for sale. I bought a case from him last year. (250 rounds I think.) Why mess around, LOL.

why bother adding a bunch of junk to your shotgun? an 870 with standard stock and magtube works for me. If you can't hit it with the first 2 rounds, maybe you shouldn't have a gun anyway.

Still a lot to be said in favor of an old savage 311 double barrel, if you ever have to stare down the business end of one you will understand.

it's not what kind gun you have. you need to train and get use to the gun.

what's the point of having expensive gun, when you can't use them right.

I like mossberg safety location. you could get PGO to reduce the length.

Well everyone seems to be on the same page. The only thing I have to add is Remington has a $30 rebate on all express shotguns until the end of the year so you can go to Bi-Mart and for $300 with background check get a very good shotgun.

I keep my Saiga-12 near the bed for home defense. One, it's Russian and those sons-of-beyatches know how to build firearms that just plain work. And two, while cycling the action of a pump shotgun will normally turn the bowels of an intruder to water, I'm not big on giving away tactical advantage of letting Joe Badguy know I'm armed. If they're downstairs and stealing stuff, I'll call the cops and sit upstairs with the fam.

If they want to come upstairs....well, it's not my fault they picked the wrong time to breach my mantle of protection. And really unfortunate they were too busy waiting to hear a pump sound that's not coming.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top