JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For myself I had to ask. Am I leaving the original stock on it? I knew that I wanted to put a speed feed IV-S stock on it. So to me logic would dictate that I get the 870 due to it having a trigger saftey instead of a tang safety like the 500/590.

DSC00500.jpg

Super Shortys FTW!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys kinda new to the gun scene. I wanted to get a shotgun for home protection. Something light and short (easy to maneuver) any suggestions? And what is the law on shotgun length, how short can it be? Thanks for your help!

I keep an old 12 Ga. Iver Johnson champion single barrel break action with the barrel cut down to 18.5" (found it cheap a while back and figured, with or without the choke, a $50 shotgun ain't bad). Given the layout of my house, that's all I really need to buy the time necessary to get to one of my other guns.

If price is prohibitive, break-action isn't bad for home defense... otherwise, I'd go for semi-auto (I also have a Saiga-12) or pump-action (my next shotgun is going to be a Mossberg 500 or 590... though after looking at this thread, I may now be sold on a HS-10B, if I can find one). In either case, you have the ability to load more cartridges into the magazine so as to prevent you from having to manipulate the weapon as much in order to fire more shots should you need to.

As far as the law on shotgun length, If I'm not mistaken, the barrel may be no shorter than 18" in length and the entire firearm may be no shorter than 26" in length.

$260 for a Mossy 500 with an 18 1/2" barrel, and the longer field barrel. I'm killing way more ducks than guys with fancy semi-auto's.

I don't have mine chambered, but if I do chamber it, I will be staring and pointing at the perp.

I've owned numerous 870's and never had a problem with any of them, regardless of ammo. Inexpensive and reliable. My current HD 870 has a Speedfeed III stock on it and will soon have a Mesa Tactical railed shell holder along with either a red dot or holographic sight on top.

To answer questions about loading with a PGO shotgun, that's what heat shields are for. Just grab it by the barrel and hold it that way, duh :p

When I was in gunsmithing school the mantra for pump shotguns was Mossberg 500 is the best for the money; 870 is the best period. BTW, that was back before Saigas were available to the peons. (Yeah, not a pump but maybe the best choice)

Last Edited:
When I was in gunsmithing school the mantra for pump shotguns was Mossberg 500 is the best for the money; 870 is the best period. BTW, that was back before Saigas were available to the peons. (Yeah, not a pump but maybe the best choice)

And Saiga's have also started to go down in price. Unconverted they can be had for around 500-550$ brand new. Another 200$ in parts and you've got yourself a nice AK platform shotgun.

After putting a couple thousand rounds through mine, I wouldn't hesitate to put my life on it. Yeah the first few hundred were trying at times, but once I got it broken in, the thing will eat any and all shells I throw at it from 2 3/4" Walmart bulk ammo to 00 buck to whatever. And that's with the factory gas plug!

Plus, for people who believe in the scare tactic of racking a pump shotgun, have you ever heard a Saiga shotgun get a round racked into the chamber? :D

I don't know if this is a consideration for anyone else, but the HD version of the Mossberg 500 seems lighter and 'handier' than the same version of the Remington 870. I've always preferred the Remington over the Mossberg until I spent some time with each, and now, well... I think the Mossberg is a better setup for me because of the ease in handling it. (I also prefer the tang safety of the Mossberg to the more standardized version on the Remington).

Saiga video. I think these are Russian models, not the neutered versions required for US import. (Mine is now happily deneutered and will keep right up with these bad boys.)

YouTube - Saiga Shotguns

Keith

That's a chunk of the Russian torture test for the Saiga shotguns. If you notice, after the van runs them over for the second round of shooting, all the bolts were locked back, so the receiver got filled with crap before they dropped the bolt to load the shells and shoot them.

For semi-auto, the Saiga gets my vote every time. For pump, the 870 is my choice because like I mentioned, I've had numerous 870's and never had a single problem with any of them. The stock furniture is crap but if you're on a budget, it works.

Has anyone mentioned the Winchester Defender? Very light weight due to alloy receiver and that makes it easy to carry and to swing.

I have one, and I have its brother, a Winchester 1300 with a 22" rifled barrel for slugs. Dang, those Remington Premier Bonded jacketed sabot slugs with the brass hollow point jackets are nasty. Accurate to 200 yards, too.

Remington Premier Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 385 Grain AccuTip Bonded Sabot Slug with Power Port Tip Box of 5 - MidwayUSA

I have a Winchester Defender. I have really liked it. Never had a problem.

after buying four shotguns (Mossburg 500, a 590, an 870 (long barrel, wood furniture) and a Win 1300 I decided to keep the 1300 and the 870. The 1300 functions perfectly with the Aguila half size rounds and the 870 will go with me to Canada for hunting. I actually planned on redoing the 870 but it's so nice I'll just keep it the way it is.

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

sticking with my mossy 500 12gauge. ive put a LOT of ammo through it and have never had any kind of issue. my buddy had a 870 and i hated the saftey location. i could never find the dam thing. the 500 its right on top of the reciever so grip, rack, and flip im ready to go.

Not a pro by any means, and my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it. But I am very comfortable with my semiauto, but have never in my life shot a pump. I feel like my semi is less likely to fail than I am likely to short-stroke a pump under stress. I also like the fact that my wife can comfortably shoot the semi, but I know she'd get the snot kicked out of her with the same load in a pump.

Most any quality pump action will work just fine.

I have had a Mossberg 500 for 13 years now, and it's great.

However, if I was planning on adding a collapsable stock and pistol grip (not PGO), I would prefer an 870 due to the placement of the safety.

+10,
I have a Mossberg 500 Tactical model. I can have it with either the collapsable butstock or as I have it set up right noe with just a pistol grip. I got mine a few years ago and haven't had any problems yet. But get one that you feel comftorable with.

I keep my Saiga-12 near the bed for home defense. One, it's Russian and those sons-of-beyatches know how to build firearms that just plain work. And two, while cycling the action of a pump shotgun will normally turn the bowels of an intruder to water, I'm not big on giving away tactical advantage of letting Joe Badguy know I'm armed. If they're downstairs and stealing stuff, I'll call the cops and sit upstairs with the fam.

If they want to come upstairs....well, it's not my fault they picked the wrong time to breach my mantle of protection. And really unfortunate they were too busy waiting to hear a pump sound that's not coming.

Lets be realistic here, if someone knows you have something and they want it, they will get/steal it and do whatever it costs to do so. It may be one or 4 guys. You stand no chance against 3-4 armed men.
Just because you have a shotgun doesn't mean you will scare away every intruder. Believe it or not a couple of thieves (that were caught) in Oakland had heavy body armor while robbing houses, and were shot at and kept on coming and killed an owner of a house. He had a street sweeper and it FAILED.

However your basic street thug/punk will not have all the gadgets. I would never underestimate anyone after reading that. I am not saying this to be a jerk...I am saying this because I had 2 jerks come into my garage and steal my car right out from under my nose. Were they armed? Yes they were.

OP...No on the SPAS 12 for home defense. Picky on ammo and somewhat complicated for some. I would recommend a SBS or Benelli M4.

I have a 870 police magnum that's set up to feel like an AR-15 with a red dot, light and foregrip. If I had to go into an event where I was taking out multiple targets within 40 feet, id bring this out. But I'd you want light and maneuverable shotgun, just get a mossberg 500 not only is the finish on a mossberg much better then a 870, its much lighter and comes in pistol grip package and ready to go for home defense....the only downside to a mossberg 500 is if you wanted to half-cock the chamber and load in a special round, there's a loading bar that blocks the breech hole...but that's a whole other tactic.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top