JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Heck, if you want the cheapest way out, get an NEF pardner pump protector. Its pretty much a Chinese 870 you can get for cheeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaap.

+1. Swing by Dick Sporing goods and walk out with a brand new Pardner for $200. Will take most accessories that the Rem. 870. Oh, and you'll have to take the rod out of the shell tube so you can hold five in there.

-d

Watch the Big 5 ads on Sunday. Different shotguns are on sale every weekend. If the ability to use it for hunting matters wait until the Mossberg 500 with 18'' and 26" bbls comes around. If all you care about is SD/HD and don't have a lot of $ the Mossberg 500 Persuader is a good choice. If you have the $ and want MilSpec get a 590 when it's on sale. The 870 comes around too.

My Persuader is loaded with a 3" Magnum #000, followed by 7 rds of S&B with 12 #00. I do not live in an appartment with close neighbors.

Watch the Big 5 ads on Sunday. Different shotguns are on sale every weekend. If the ability to use it for hunting matters wait until the Mossberg 500 with 18'' and 26" bbls comes around. If all you care about is SD/HD and don't have a lot of $ the Mossberg 500 Persuader is a good choice. If you have the $ and want MilSpec get a 590 when it's on sale. The 870 comes around too.

My Persuader is loaded with a 3" Magnum #000, followed by 7 rds of S&B with 12 #00. I do not live in an appartment with close neighbors.

I've always thought those Mossys with two barrels were a good deal for a basic gun. :s0155:

I had a Remington and 2 Mossberg's. 1st a Mossberg 500. Fell in love w/a Remington 870 police. Sold the Mossberg quick as i could. I could not have been happier. Then i shot it. 2 kinds of ammo, jammed. No big deal right? 2nd time 4 different brands of shells, jammed alot... The final time i brought 3 friends and the all brought different rounds, brands.. bird, buck, target, slugs... at this point im pulling my hair, searching forums, talking to local shops. Anything to make my Beautiful 870 stay at home. In the end i traded my Remington for an ugly beat-up Mossberg 500 20" police trade-in it. the guy at the shop thought i was crazy as $hit. Never jammed n accurate. Best part was i had 8 boxes of shells from trying to find a 1 single f@#k'N brand or kind of shell that would cycle correctly. If its for home defense ah... the Remington is a very nice, super pretty shotgun. for me, the Mossberg is a far superior home defense tool.

Saiga_12.jpg

Why let them hear you chamber a round?

Do you have kids in the house? I would offer up the thought that if you might need to leave your bedroom in the middle of the night to investigate a noise or to grab your kid and bring him or her to your room, you might want to consider a handgun. It's kinda hard to grab a child and speed them back to a safe part of the house and operate a pump shotgun.

I think for in the house a handgun is the way to go for the simple reason it can be operated with a 40 pound sleepy kid in your arms.

If your still set on a shotgun after reading this then I would suggest a mossberg 500 with the two barrel package. I've had three because I keep on thinking I don't need a shotgun and keep on finding out I was wrong.

Edit: I would save up for a kel tec ksg.

The High Standard HS-10B Police Shotgun

This is your father's bullpup shotgun.

"Bullpup" firearms have been getting a lot of attention recently with the introduction of the IMI Tavor rifle and the Kel-Tec KSG 12 gauge pump action shotgun. The term "Bullpup" is generally used for a firearm that has the action behind the grip and trigger. This is done to decrease the overall length of the weapon and also aid in the balance and handling of the weapon. There are compromises to this arrangement that must be considered. The first concern is that the bullpup setup is different when compared to a conventional rifle or shotgun. This difference requires changes in training when it comes to weapon handling skills. It is up to the user to decide whether the advantages of a bullpup firearm outweigh the necessary adaptations to its design.

I have owned numerous bullpup firearms over the years. These include the original Bushmaster Armpistol and the MSAR STG-556, which is a clone of the Steyr AUG rifle. I have also owned the Calico 9mm carbine and currently own an FNH PS-90 carbine. I like bullpups because they fit my short height and short arms better than an M1A rifle, which I also own, but for different purposes. The purpose of a bullpup is to improve weapon handling in Close Quarter Battle situations. Whether you are defending your home, a SWAT team member or an Israeli commando, if you are fighting inside buildings, maneuvering a rifle or shotgun has drawbacks in weapon retention and handling. A pistol or submachine gun can solve those problems, but sacrifices the superior firepower that rifles and shotguns possess.

The bullpup shotgun for this review is the High Standard HS-10B. It is a 12 gauge semi-automatic design that was produced back in the 1970's and early 80's. I remember seeing one on the cover of a police supply catalog at the local library back in the old days before the internet. They were made for law enforcement and even have "Police Shotgun" imprinted into the molding on the right side of the plastic housing. They never caught on for a variety of reasons. In the days of the 6 shot revolver and pump action riot gun, it is not surprising that this futuristic science fiction looking shotgun did not do well. Some of the other reasons were limited magazine capacity, difficulty in reloading as well as perceived reliability issues.

As originally designed, the HS-10B, had a magazine capacity of four 12 gauge 2 ¾ inch shells.

It also says on the housing to use only "high brass" shells. This is where some of the reliability issues come from. The shotgun is semi-automatic and uses a gas piston setup that surrounds the magazine tube and vents gas from the barrel via two small ports. Like many gas operated weapons, it requires full power charges to cycle the action reliably. If you feed trap loads into the HS-10B it will likely fail to feed or extract before you empty the magazine. While this increases the cost of training with the HS-10B, it is very reliable when fed 00 Buckshot and slug loads. I have owned two of these shotguns and have fed them steady diets of Sellier and Bellots 9 and 12 pellet OO Buck as well as #4 Buckshot loads and they have never failed me. Feed them the cheap stuff and you have a very awkward bolt action shotgun.

Even when firing the 12 pellet 00 Buck loads, the recoil is not painful. It does not leave a bruise or rash on the shoulder and the HS-10B can be fired quite quickly without rising off target. Once you have fired your four or six rounds, you then need to reload your magazine tube. Herein lies the HS-10B's major drawback. Reloading is not easy or fast with this shotgun. First off there is not really any room to attach spare shells to the receiver so you are pretty much going to be grabbing shells from your belt pouches. Once you fire your last round, the bolt will lock to the rear. You rotate the shotgun counterclockwise 90 degrees, drop a shell into the chamber and then turn the shotgun clockwise 90 degrees back to normal firing position and press the bolt release on the left side of the receiver. The crescent shaped buttstock swivels or rotates to help you do this while keeping the HS-10B in your shoulder. The bolt goes forward, chambers the round and then you turn the shotgun 90 degrees clockwise exposing the loading gate for your left hand reloading. You need to press the bolt release again to allow the loading lever to rise while inserting the first of four or six new shells depending on your magazine capacity. Left handed shooters need not apply, while the ejection pattern of my guns threw the hulls far forward at about a 70 degree angle, the charging handle on the bolt would make your dentist very rich, very quickly.

The other awkward method of reloading the HS-10B is to take the gun out of your shoulder, flip it upside down and cradle it like you are giving a baby CPR and load the shells with your right hand. This is actually easier than it sounds and the way I reload when just plinking at the range. Reloading a tubular magazine shotgun is not the easiest thing to do and the compactness of the bullpup design brings it in closer to your body which makes the task even harder. This is the reason you don't see the HS-10B competing in 3 gun competitions.

Once you played around with the HS-10B for a few years and have the reloading drill figured out, you can finally appreciate the shotgun's finer qualities. It has a push button safety similar to a Winchester design where it is on the front of the trigger guard.

Push to the left with your trigger finger and you are ready to unleash four to seven rounds of hell depending on how you store it. If you don't keep a round in the chamber and safety on, you can chamber a round very quickly using the HS-10B's left side non-reciprocating charging handle.

It is very easy to operate, just pull back and release. The handle is a simple S shaped lever that rides within an aluminum plate which also serves to hold the upper and lower plastic shells together around the shotgun's barrel and magazine tube. One end of the S is what you grasp with your left thumb and forefinger to pull back and charge the weapon. The other end of the S, goes inside a slot and rides over a stud that is welded onto the gas piston of the shotgun.

Pull back the charging handle and you are pulling back the gas piston which is connected to the bolt via transfer bars. It is very simple and easy to operate but the design makes disassembly complicated and tricky.

Disassembly for cleaning. It is more similar to an engine overhaul than changing your oil. You can call it field stripping if your field is a nice clean workbench in your garage. The original HS-10B was taken apart by removing the front sight assembly.

You then used a standard screwdriver and unscrewed the screw on the end of the magazine tube and remove the spring. With the six round extended tube I now have, this is still done but it has an external sleeve around the magazine tube. This takes the place of the original magazine tube cap which covers and holds together the ends of the upper and lower plastic shells surrounding the barrel and magazine tube. Ohhh, it gets better…

On my orginal four shot HS-10B, you then took a hex key and removed the crescent buttstock. You then slid forward the plastic housings. You could then slide that aluminum left side charging handle slot plate until it aligned with some cutouts on the plastic housings. The plate then removed and your S shaped charging handle falls out, the upper and lower housing halves separate and can be slid forward off of the barrel and magazine tube.

Take care not to bend or damage the trigger transfer bars. They are not flimsy but they fit into the trigger and some guide slots a certain way to give you that amazing bullpup trigger squeeze that has to be felt to be appreciated.

The HS-10B's trigger is actually not as bad as most bullpup's because it uses solid steel twin transfer bars that rigidly mount to a specially adapted trigger plate in the shotgun's receiver. It is not as crisp as an 870, but its not squishy or too heavy either.

Once you have the HS-10B stripped of its plastic bullpup parts, you can see the conventional semi-automatic shotgun that is hidden underneath. You can start pushing out pins and remove the bolt and springs and stuff if you want to but I just generally clean it up and lubricate as it sits. Most importantly is the gas system. The piston is an annular cylinder that rides around the magazine tube. Remove the carbon with brush and cloth and DO NOT OIL. Leave it dry. Most gun savvy owner know about this with gas operated weapons but the HS-10B is especially prone to gumming up its annular piston when oil meets carbon fouling. If you think you need to lubricate that left side charging handle thingy, don't. Its made out of aluminum, plastic and stainless steel. Oil will just drip down or otherwise migrate onto the magazine tube/piston and slow it down enough to cause failures.

Once you have it cleaned and lubricated the appropriate parts, reassembly is even harder. It might not be as hard as putting the guts back into a M2 .50 cal BMG, but I've done both, and its close. The key to the HS-10B, like the M2, is proper alignment of the parts. Putting the buttstock rear receiver housing back on is the easiest. Make sure to install the trigger transfer bar properly into the actual trigger and align the bars into the slots. Reinstall the upper and lower plastic housing halves over the barrel and magazine tube. That left side charging handle and its aluminum slotted plate is the key that binds everything together. Keeping the the S shaped handle in its slot while still in proper position next to the gas piston stud while moving the plate onto the plastic housing tabs of the upper and lower plastic housings is simply a feeling of pure joy if you can do it all in one try. Reinstall the magazine cap to bind the front ends upper and lower halves together, put the front sight back on and you are ready to function check.

Now that we have a working shotgun again we can discuss other features and modifications to the HS-10B. Like most guns, the HS-10B was not created perfect even though its plastic skin might make you think that way. First and foremost to most shooters who I have showed mine to is the concern that the original only held four rounds in the magazine. This may have been fine back in the days when Remington 870's did not sport extended tubes and Saiga 12's hadn't even been invented yet. Modern gun users now use terms like tactical, operator, and desire more ammunition in even their shotguns. I may not be old enough to decry the those new fangled pump shotguns with a 5 round capacity versus my trusty double barrel side by side, but I'm smart enough to know that six is better than four. Therefore, I sold my four shot HS-10B to a friend and helped him convert it to a six shot tube. I then discovered and bought a previously converted HS-10B so I also could enjoy those two extra important shots.

This conversion is not quite easily done on the HS-10B. Simply screwing an extended magazine tube onto your 870 or 590A1 is a dream for HS-10B owners. You have to remove the magazine tube from the receiver. Not easy when the thing was put on there 35 years ago and not really meant to be taken off. You then have to buy another one, which, surprisingly, can still be found for reasonable prices. Then you have someone cut and weld these tubes into one slightly longer tube. Reinstall and you have six shooting fun. Well, not so fast. There is this thing about the former magazine cap holding together the ends of those plastic housings. My conversion uses a cap held on by another external sleeve around the new extended magazine tube. Some have welded a cap/collar onto the new magazine tube itself then remove the entire magazine tube every time you need to disassemble it for cleaning. You really have to want those extra two rounds. The result of all this is a nice compact shotgun with a 6 + 1 capacity that when fully loaded weighs 9.2 pounds. Despite this, its not that bad because it's a bullpup and the weight is held closer to your body.

The original sights were raised sights much like the AR-15's were raised because your cheek weld is on the top of the receiver. A flip up front sight blade is adjustable for windage as it has to be locked down with a hex key after putting it back on during reassembly.

The rear sight is an aluminum housing with a simple square notch.

This housing also served as a mount for a D cell flashlight on the originals. On my first HS-10B, I removed the front and rear sights and installed a Picatinny rail in place of the rear sight.
I then proceeded to try out various red dot sights and light/laser combos as sighting options for the HS-10B. In the end, I settled on a light/laser combo for home defense use. On my current six shot version, I am keeping the iron sights for now but I still toy with the idea of installing a rail and mounting a micro red dot sight. The carrying handle also remains on my HS-10B because it just makes it really easy to carry. Removing the iron sights and carrying handle might save a little weight but I like the HS-10B as is for now.

Other little tips and tricks to the HS-10B. You can carry one spare 12 gauge shell inside the hollow pistol grip if you wedge it in there with some foam or something. It can be fired one handed. It will cycle the action and it does not hurt your hand. It does have about a foot of muzzle rise as the action is behind your wrist giving it rotational leverage. Why would you want to fire it one handed? You don't, but you might have to. You might be on the ground or your left arm is disabled. You can still point the HS-10B and fire. It will function just fine.

You can tuck it into your shoulder using your right arm and fire it much easier than longer normal shotguns. I sold my original HS-10B to a friend who is paralyzed from the chest down. He can't use his abdominal muscles to stabilize his body in his wheelchair or while laying down. Due to his need to use his left arm to stabilize himself, he can't use his left arm to use a pump action shotgun like an 870 or even the Kel-Tec KSG. He can fire the HS-10B from his chair and he can shoot it one handed. To him, a bullpup is the only way he can use a shotgun or rifle.

The HS-10B was not made to revolutionize the world of firearms. It was made to do one thing very well. Provide a compact shotgun for Close Quarter Battle. It did this well with four rounds and it does it better with six. I regard it as an extremely efficient home defense gun. It would make a very good SWAT entry weapon. At 27 inches in length, it is still shorter than an SBS'd Benelli 12 gauge that has only a four round capacity and a Form 4 is not required to own it. It is shorter than a pistol grip Remington 870.

Its manual of arms is different and slower than other shotguns but if you need a lot of firepower and quick reloads, grab an M4. If you need a handful of 12 gauge rounds to deliver a lot of kinetic energy, then the HS-10B will fit the bill nicely. Not everything new is original and not everything old is obsolete. Kind of like an M2 Browning…

Jordanvraptor

2776ba0a.jpg

photo2_zps0b38bca2.jpg

photo12_zpsa32b6ec3.jpg

5109ce36-eac2-4394-b3a3-4256cf637a64_zps96f684ea.jpg

iPhone264_zps2c62fe39.jpg

photo4_zps0aa22d0e.jpg

photo31_zpsfa010fac.jpg

100_0348_zps52fbc4c6.jpg

photo3_zps3008eda6.jpg

100_0344_zps8bbd5c9c.jpg

100_0352_zpsbb0736fd.jpg

photo21_zpsfc55bd49.jpg

photo32_zps4ff6f181.jpg

photo11_zps4a4a4d8f.jpg

59A25E22-B268-4BF9-945F-CD2896B9BC35_zpse48f8f74.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest stay away from the Pistol Grip S-guns. They may be short, but you have no control while firing or reloading. Try loading your S-gun (tube mag) while on the move without the benefit of having a stock to tuck under your arm. If you get a chance to take a tactical S-gun class (which I highly recommend), a common drill you will encounter once you exhaust your magazine supply, is to load one shoot one. Try doing this for 5 minutes while engaging targets without the aid of a butt stock. Also, If you get a "Failure to extract" malfunction, you will need to slam the butt onto your thigh or ground in order to extract the stuck hull. Pistol Grip S-guns are really impractical for defensive use.

a lot of people (me included) fill the tube up and leave the chamber empty with the action closed. So if something goes bump in the night you just chamber the first round and anyone who hears it with half a brain will leave your house quicker than they arrived.

Quoted for truth. In a handgun, the pipe should ALWAYS have one loaded, IMO.

But on a shottie, if you load the magazine and keep the gun ready to chamber, that sound is EXTREMELY distinctive. I'd rather be one shell light and have that sound in my bedroom arsenal.

I suggest stay away from the Pistol Grip S-guns. They may be short, but you have no control while firing or reloading. Try loading your S-gun (tube mag) while on the move without the benefit of having a stock to tuck under your arm. If you get a chance to take a tactical S-gun class (which I highly recommend), a common drill you will encounter once you exhaust your magazine supply, is to load one shoot one. Try doing this for 5 minutes while engaging targets without the aid of a butt stock. Also, If you get a "Failure to extract" malfunction, you will need to slam the butt onto your thigh or ground in order to extract the stuck hull. Pistol Grip S-guns are really impractical for defensive use.

2nding that, I hate no-stock shotguns.

They can be funny though... load up one with 2.75" birdshot, 2.75" birdshot, 3" slug and hand it to a friend.

+1 for mossy 500 or remington 870. I would recommend the mossy 500 field/security combo at bimart which sells for less than $300, you get the 18.5" security barrel w/ a 28" field barrel if you want to hunt or shoot trap. Additionally, these shotguns are made in the USA.

+1 for mossy 500 or remington 870. I would recommend the mossy 500 field/security combo at bimart which sells for less than $300, you get the 18.5" security barrel w/ a 28" field barrel if you want to hunt or shoot trap. Additionally, these shotguns are made in the USA.

+1!:D
Love mine.
Not pretty but works every time.

Get one of these:

50665.jpg

Its semi-evil looking. Shoots great, shoots better with stock with a PG on it, but thats just my preference. And you can put an M16 bayonet on it for all kinds of fun. Not too heavy and pretty decent with the buck shot. I had an 870 and it seemed a lot heavier and there was something about working the pump on it that I just wasn't liking. Felt like it was a bit long or something. Also, it was an express, and some of the cheaper shot shells tended to stick in the chamber after being shot. I would have to slam it open on my leg to get it to open. Granted this wasn't a HD gun, but still I am thinking the mossy would be better.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top