JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Do you all have firearms added to your HOI policy? I started of with a cheap shot gun then a budget pistol. Over time things started to snowball but it didn't occur to list them.

Are they something that balloons the cost of coverage?

Last Edited:
I checked with our home-owners insurance, it did cover firearms, but did not provide enough coverage for our collection. So, we just added a rider to increase said. I forget what the difference was, but it wasn't much.

USAA is very good insurance my home was broken into a 2 years back and they took very good care of me all I
needed was the serial numbers of the 2 guns stolen,

Most home owners policies usually only cover a couple thousand in firearms so you'll want to understand what yours covers.

I looked into a rider on my regular homeowners policy but it was enormously more expensive than with a company that specializes in gun policies. Take a look at the NRA's offering (note that you get $2K worth of insurance with your standard membership if you happen to already be a member...but you have to activate it). Also look at Collect Insure and I've heard good things about Eastern Insurance but don't have any direct experience with them.

I went with Collect Insure as their rates were a bit better than the NRA when I looked into it. They've been great to deal with although I've never had to file a claim...and hopefully I never will.

Take a look at all of your accessories too. Holsters, mags, optics, cases, etc. Man does that stuff add up. I was really surprised when I sat down to do the math. Don't forget your ammo too.

And then once you get a policy, remember to sit down and review it annually. Because if you're like most people you may buy and sell some things each year.

Lastly, make sure you have copies of all your serial numbers, photos, etc. That stuff isn't required by Collect Insure but you will certainly need it if you ever have to file a claim.

Our home insurance does cover firearms.
With that said...
I do wonder if , I ever have to use it , the insurance agency will cover a antique flintlock rifle circa 1800...And offer up a replacement valve of say a Traditions flintlock rifle* ...after all a flintlock is a flintlock , right...

I have taken detailed photos and included descriptions and as much known history behind each gun..so as to give my reasons as to why it is a antique rifle and how it differs in components as well as value , when compared to a new made rifle.

*Please note that I am not "knocking " Traditions rifles..they are a good rifle...but they not made the same or even with the same styling of most original antique rifles.
Andy

My home owners insurance has a limit on firearms coverage, and most do. I talked with my agent about upping the coverage, and was told I could, but would also need to make a list of all my firearms, and serial numbers. Then they would keep the list in their computer. That was the point where I put the brakes on it.
I really don't want a list of my guns on anyone's computer the way computers at companies get hacked these days. So I instead added more safes, a home alarm system, and sprinklers in my gun room. I've done all I can to not advertise, and even rejected listing specific guns in my will so a copy wont be at my attorney's office either.

One of my worries is getting to the point that my agent, who is local but definitely not a friend. Strictly a business relationship.

I don't see him as a real advocate in a grey area. I may lean toward USAA or something similar. Besides after many years as a client I never get any cookies or even a calendar for Christmas.

I went with Collectibles Insurance Services out of PA a few years back after researching options. Haven't had a claim to file, so no personal experience on how that would go. But the few times I called with a question, they were decent to talk to on the phone.

Was more reasonable than a special rider on my homeowners, who also wanted more details than I wanted to provide. Also was more reasonable than NRA, but I do remember some premium jump at the first renewal. Hopefully I don't ever need to file a claim, but their coverage seemed pretty broad in the event of a loss so hopefully I'd be ok.

I went with Collectibles Insurance Services out of PA a few years back after researching options. Haven't had a claim to file, so no personal experience on how that would go. But the few times I called with a question, they were decent to talk to on the phone.

Was more reasonable than a special rider on my homeowners, who also wanted more details than I wanted to provide. Also was more reasonable than NRA, but I do remember some premium jump at the first renewal. Hopefully I don't ever need to file a claim, but their coverage seemed pretty broad in the event of a loss so hopefully I'd be ok.
I just went with these people and like the fact that no list is needed to be sent to them. You just need a list for yourself. I questioned them about how they stop fraudulent cases and was happy with their answer.

Good answers everybody and thank you. Good topic. Also talk to your friendly knowledgeable long term personal or business insurance agent. Pick his or her mind. The good ones will frankly discuss options and benefits. Also expense. Lean on them heavily.

Be careful giving out specific information like detailed firearm descriptions including photos and serial numbers. The insurance industry is not secure. Loose lips. Sold information. Read the fine print. You may find that you are horribly under insured. Just me.

I have heard good things about Collectibles Insurance Company. Do not be afraid to do a detail business exam. Computers are cool.

Equal paragraph length is futile but fun to try. :)

Our house policy has a top limit on firearms without adding a rider to it. Few thousand dollars.

My MT husband and I chose NOT to have an extra rider on the house policy since we have scaled down in ALL of our firearms over the years especially when "I" stopped owning, shooting and (OC/CC) carrying my own HANDGUNS. The few, last and sweet firearms that I gave to him in handguns and in a couple in rifles are all gone now.

Over the years, before and after his retirement, we sold many of our firearms. We gifted a few firearms too. I owned more handguns in CF and in RF compared to my rifles back east and out here too.

We consolidated ALL of our firearm CALIBERS big time too. He had more to do there compared to me by that time in my life too. He and I did not lose money in firearm sales.

We sold some sealed ammunition at cost. We gifted some ammo to friends during the fake/real shortages too. Mainly in calibers that we did not shoot any longer. A bit in RF ammo too.

He sold some reloading equipment, dies and various supplies for calibers that he decided Not to keep in the long run. Some of this was even before the CT school murders so not just when so much garbage (Fake/real shortages.) was going on.

He did keep some of his casting molds and lead supplies.

I never did reload and I never did any casting. I do not plan on doing this either.

He sold his last shotgun (Marine Magnum 870 in 12 gauge.) and previously stopped reloading for shotguns in various calibers. I never saw his shotgun reloading equipment before we got married. I did see some other reloading equipment, now sold, and he kept his favorite RCBS set and some other dies for the calibers that he finally decided to KEEP. He has reloaded for over 40 years and will continue to do this until he can no longer do this safely.

I stopped shooting handguns in various CF and RF calibers when my arthritis got worse. Later on, I stopped shooting CF rifles due to my arthritis and old accident issues - very bad fall and, finally, I went to a specific type of RF (22lr) rifle too. I shoot a few bolt action rifles in the CZ brand - wood stocks in walnut and beech and a Savage Rascal - VERY light weight, black composite, kid's rifle. I No longer shoot the Much Loved By Me - grin, Heavier and Beautiful walnut/steel and walnut/brass lever action rifles in RF or CF in various brands. Oh well.

I have NOT shot much in the last year at all.

As far as serial numbers go... BOTH of us wanted a prenuptial agreement. I was a widow - happily married to one man for a LONG time before his cancer death. We only had each other in our lives. My MT husband was a divorced man - one time. I trusted him and vice versa but after seeing so many people go through h!!! and back... we wanted everything to be exact in case something ever happened to our marriage. We wanted our wills to be exact too. Medical issues - poa and so forth. Our lawyer wanted the guns listed with serial numbers and so forth. So we did supply this to cover our bases and not just with our financial paperwork. WE always update (Here at home.) what we own in all firearms and firearm supplies (Inventory.) and most of those his/her firearms are not even on that one, original list since they were sold. I believe that my husband only has 2 or 3 rifles on that PNA - original list while I rattle HIS guns off in my brain.

I think that if we owned what 'we' used to own in QUANTITY and in COST... we would add a rider to the house policy or use a gun insurance company.

Every person has to weigh the pros and cons in some insurance policies and in many other financial matters. We have house, vehicle, health, etc. insurance. I consider myself self insured in other things too. Since I gifted many things that are not in a will since I gave them away years ago... those expensive items are no longer insured since I no longer OWN them. My MT husband did the same thing. The wills are updated too.

I have heard of (On and offline.) and personally knew many women and men who did not update their wills and/or did not let the other person (Spouse, partner, friend, etc.) know the VALUE or lack thereof of their firearms, jewelry, etc. Some of them died and left a real mess for the other person to deal with too. So it makes sense if some of you update or buy a firearms policy to make a LIST of your firearms and other STUFF so your loved one = Wife or husband = executor or if you choose someone else as your executor knows what you have.

And that goes even if they get so called appraisals from various, ahem, EXPERTS!

Best wishes to you.

Cate

If your firearms inventory includes collectible firearms, then it's very important to have a list and pictures of the inventory. Not that you need to give that to an insurer, but it needs to be in a secure place somewhere safe.
Should also list any accessories of value or that belong with particular firearms. Things like gun leather, fitted cases, tools, etc. that would could get separated if you're not around to ensure they stay with their guns.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top