JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A homemade mask only prevents YOU from spreading the virus to other. If you want to protect yourself you need a mask/filter rated at least NP95...better 99!!! That will filter out bacteria and viruses.

I didn't wait for the self appointed experts and puppet masters to give me permission, I bought a bunch of p100 filters for my half face respirators, and airtight goggles, way back in late January when everyone was still ridiculing people for preparing (including some on here). It was even before the run on N95s started in the USA.

Also have 2x full face gas masks with several non expired 40mm CBRN cans, and I think I'm going to start wearing one, because it's way more comfortable than a half face respirator and goggles!

Ok, that's all, I'll quit gloating! Hard not to when so many people said I was crazy, and now their doing facemask craft projects.

Who knows, I'll probably still get it at some point anyway, pretty hard to be 100% foolproof and never slip up with something like wiping your eye absentmindedly!
We can only do our best and focus on what's actually in our control, to worry beyond that is a waste of life!

BTW for anyone still looking, look on Ebay. It's not easy to find and you'll pay 3-5x normal prices, but it's possible.

When you search, turn on US ONLY under location, and only look at buy it now items, because Ebay will cancel the auction at some point if it's an N95, surgical mask, etc, although I haven't seen them deleting p100 filters or 40mm NATO gas mask cans yet.

YMMV!

I didn't go through all the posts, but I did read some recommendations elsewhere on material to use. A tight weave of 180 thread count or higher is preferred, as is a cotton fabric, lighter colors, the material should be laundered (no bleach as it damages the fibers) a least a couple of times (wash, dry, wash, dry) before beginning fabrication and a double layer of that cloth is desired. Whew, talk about a run on sentence!!!

Two weeks ago i wore a mask to the grocery store and felt like a weirdo because no one else was. Just got done with a trip to the grocery store and i'd estimate 40% of the shoppers were covering their face in some way. I hope it becomes commonplace to wear a mask in public in America as a means of keeping the community healthier.

OB44,

Millennials that call names are merely demonstrating envy.

They'll never have it as good as us Boomers...what with still living in Mom's basement at 28, playing endless video games while snarfing down Cheetos with zero prospect of getting a decent job with a gender studies degree.

Being called Boomer is also the same as being called "Successful".

Two weeks ago i wore a mask to the grocery store and felt like a weirdo because no one else was. Just got done with a trip to the grocery store and i'd estimate 40% of the shoppers were covering their face in some way. I hope it becomes commonplace to wear a mask in public in America as a means of keeping the community healthier.
With the exception of pandemics, society has functioned fine without masks for a long long time. If you look at the countries where people wear masks all the time, such as China, there wasn't much protection
layers, and gaps around where the mask meets the face. any gaps, when you breathe in.. kinda pointless... I guess it depends on how dense of a cloud of virus vapors one finds oneself in, or, how lucky you feel.. Murphy's Law for me would for sure if one viri can find the one tiny crack in my mask, it will.
You're absolutely correct about getting a proper seal with a mask. However, when we're talking about an environment with a relatively small amount of the environment being the contaminant, efficiency isn't quite as important as when we're talking about a semi-infinate sphere of contaminated air. The amount of time spent around the contaminated area, the distance from the infected person, area, or surface, and something between you and the contaminant are all important factors in minimizing your chance of coming in contact with the virus. A mask can be a part of the plan to reduce your exposure to the virus, but remember that it's only one part of the plan.

For those of you that understand the ALARA concept, yes - that's exactly what I was using!

Just cut the toe end of a sock off and stretch, stretch, and stretch some more and then pull, pull, pull it down down your head and over your face.

Now, you're good to go!

Oh, too much trouble you say?

Ok, go barefaced then, that's what I do...

homemade_masks_2x.png

I have bed sheets that are worn out in the middle where I sleep, but around the edges, the fabric is still fine. I kept them for rags, but haven't used them for that yet. It seems to me that these would be good fabric as they are generally a tight weave.

I didn't read everything here so....As I'm trying on my store supplied mask in preparation to go out in public this morning. And pondering all the people I see following the orders to don masks. It comes to mind the people need to start drawing mouths on their masks. THAT is what is kind of unnerving. Noses? Mustaches? Use some imagination, if you have imagination. At the very least, a mouth.

I didn't read everything here so....As I'm trying on my store supplied mask in preparation to go out in public this morning. And pondering all the people I see following the orders to don masks. It comes to mind the people need to start drawing mouths on their masks. THAT is what is kind of unnerving. Noses? Mustaches? Use some imagination, if you have imagination. At the very least, a mouth.

_nc_ohc=14fsMUJzfMwAX9IsQhQ&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads