JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone made any yet? Got any pointers?

Wife is pretty good with a sewing machine and we have quite a few old baby clothes diapers that are nice and thick.

Any fabric that is around the house that would be better for this type of thing?

Thanks!

Reno

Wife is pretty good with a sewing machine and we have quite a few old baby clothes diapers that are nice and thick.

Any fabric that is around the house that would be better for this type of thing?

Thanks!

Reno
All the gals at the local Tractor Supply store were sporting homemade masks. They were pretty ill fitting and looked like recycled panties, but I'm sure they felt better about working during the 'deadly pandemic'

It is something me and the Mrs exchanged emails about, but haven't yet as she just got back. I know how to sew by hand, but not use the machine, so this would be a task for her. We already have some masks, but it probably wouldn't hurt to have other options too. :)

Think layers. Not so many that you can't breathe but stack several layers of thin, breathable fabric. Moisture wicking sport/golf shirts, panty hose, hi tech hiking socks, etc. What's laying around the house and in plain sight?

Think layers. Not so many that you can't breathe but stack several layers of thin, breathable fabric. Moisture wicking sport/golf shirts, panty hose, hi tech hiking socks, etc. What's laying around the house and in plain sight?
Perhaps something to consider is using high efficiency air filter media. If one could get hold of charcoal impregnated media or even HEPA media, it could be opened up and used as one of the layers.

The one N95 I've got I wore to the store. No thanks, wearing that thing correctly for longer than sanding some wood sucks big time. That and it's now drying from a soak in ISO. So it's good for every other day. I guess. I'll be using that one for as long as I seen it fit.

Ive got plain ole el cheapos I got years ago from Harbor Freight. I figure a home made one would be better than those?

Would tearing apart air filters for the home be a considerable option? Maybe sewn in between layers of cotton?

My sister made us some out of old shirts and the 10 rated heater filters. I don't think there quite as good as n95 but there suppose to filter quite a lot. You can probably google how to make them. There's a lady online showing how to make them.

7D286B33-811D-42E4-935B-A88AC811D6C3.png

Thanks!

Reno
My sister is a Home Ec teacher in Houston and is very good with a sewing machine.
She rushed 6 of her masks up here for my wife who is a nurse.
The design is very well developed and fits well. She makes them either "around the ear" or "around the head".
It is shaped like a commercial mask, not flat.
There is a pocket to slide in a surgical mask if wanted.
Also a pipe cleaner can be threaded in for around the nose, but the fit is so good, I don't think that's needed.

Supposedly folks are posting up patterns on the Web of their designs.
I have a picture of one that my niece is wearing.
"Around the Ear" model shown....

Mask.png

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top