JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think this is one of those dam if you do and dam if you don't have your firearm readily available at all times. We females are more inclined to not carry their firearm at all times, it's just how we think but of course that is not all females. My attire in the house at night is either leggings which will not work well thinking carrying a firearm but instead always when wearing leggings carry a fix blade that easily clips to the leggings. When wearing jeans I am sporting a Glock 26 with two spare magazines but when out of the house carry my Kimber full-size 1911.

To me what is critical is to have a "go to" firearm with spare mags easily reached and in my case I have a duty belt (works well without the inner belt as it falls well on the hips) that has a 1911, three magazines, ASP Talon baton and flashlight.

Going back to me wearing leggings, I live in a rental townhouse and the trash dumpster is about 25 yards away so at night I take the trash out always with a weapon and at night with a flashlight.

What many do not consider is someone (innocent looking and perhaps a female) knocking on the door and there is a secondary bad guy just out of sight that when you open the door the second person forcibly enters with you off guard. I always consider such things happening and if someone knocks on my door at O dark thirty have a firearm at the ready, go way to ward off sales people and church people.

Mindset is everything, to have the fortitude to never give up, run out of ammo, grab a iron skillet, have secondary weapons in other rooms i.e. I have a K-Bar next to each of my toilets (three of them).

Finally, the average person is not going to be armed 24-7, your date is not going to be fond of this (lost one than a few dates this way) but then again it goes to your will not to be a victim.

Had to read your post several times before this old brain made much sense of it:D. I got it figured out why you only wear leggings around the house and it must blend with needing three bathrooms. I hope they get that repaired before much longer.:p

I keep a handgun available for that knock at the door and when I answer the door I have gun in hand with a newspaper or guns and ammo type periodical under the thumb of my gun hand. I can answer the door and you will never know I am armed as the newspaper covers the gun yet I can shoot in a moments notice. If it's just company I can lay the gun and paper down without the gun being seen, that way I don't scare anyone.

Everything in your home is also a weapon. Scalding hot water, you were boiling some eggs on the stove at the time, for say. The blind side of the enraged burglar is not going to see that heavy glass vase coming around from his back side when he or she is in arms length. I personally would almost not hesitate. Never let em see it coming. Bear spray in close range would do wonders to someones eyesight. Or even a high powered police tazer.

Your mind, of course, is your number one weapon in any self defense situation. A dog for most folks is a perfect burglar alarm, not to mention a best friend (2nd line of self defense). Knowing applicable state and local laws is a must, be responsible.

I keep a handgun available for that knock at the door and when I answer the door I have gun in hand with a newspaper or guns and ammo type periodical under the thumb of my gun hand. I can answer the door and you will never know I am armed as the newspaper covers the gun yet I can shoot in a moments notice. If it's just company I can lay the gun and paper down without the gun being seen, that way I don't scare anyone.

Wow, this is really good. I will have to get my wife to start doing this. She doesn't carry yet, but knows how to handle a pistol and this method is very discreet.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top