JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is by far one of the worst ideas you could ever have.

OK,about 99.99999% of crimes are some how drug or alcohol related,no?
Buying,selling,needing,whatever

So there is about a 100% chance that the guy that broke into your house to steal the TV is on drugs,Jonesing for more drugs ,owes someone money for drugs......and is willing to risk HIS life by breaking in your house.
He has shown he does not fear you.He has shown he will do illegal things to meet his needs.
Will he stop at just taking the TV,etc? Will he confront you and ask for money? Will he be willing to attack you or your loved one to maybe get your gun and kill you?

I say this to people that are going to start carrying a gun,if you can't kill someone don't carry.Same applies here.
If you hesitate,will he then decide to come after you?

If someone is in your house to rob you,he needs to be shot.Next time he may be a little more brazen and hurt or kill someone.

But that's just me.
Pray you get a good jury. Shooting someone because they are taking your TV will land you in jail. If they are threatening you you have the right to shoot..but not until then

Pray you get a good jury. Shooting someone because they are taking your TV will land you in jail. If they are threatening you you have the right to shoot..but not until then

you are wrong.

161.219 Limitations on use of deadly physical force in defense of a person. Notwithstanding the provisions of ORS 161.209, a person is not justified in using deadly physical force upon another person unless the person reasonably believes that the other person is:
(1) Committing or attempting to commit a felony involving the use or threatened imminent use of physical force against a person; or
(2) Committing or attempting to commit a burglary in a dwelling; or
(3) Using or about to use unlawful deadly physical force against a person.

for what it's worth, you're also legally justified in using deadly physical force against someone committing arson. i'll find and post the ORS later, if i remember. or you can just look it up yourself.

If they enter your HOUSE in the middle of the night while your sleeping? I dont think you have to figure out if they're in there to steal somthin or do you harm,I'm definetly not gonna wait and see!

If they enter your HOUSE in the middle of the night while your sleeping? I dont think you have to figure out if they're in there to steal somthin or do you harm,I'm definetly not gonna wait and see!

YOU may need to be careful of that. if i remember correctly, WA statute requires a level of threat above the burglary. i could be wrong- check your local laws.

YOU may need to be careful of that. if i remember correctly, WA statute requires a level of threat above the burglary. i could be wrong- check your local laws.

RCW 9A.16.050
Homicide — By other person — When justifiable.

Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:

(1) In the lawful defense of the slayer, or his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister, or of any other person in his presence or company, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design on the part of the person slain to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury to the slayer or to any such person, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished; or

(2) In the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer, in his presence, or upon or in a dwelling, or other place of abode, in which he is.

I guess i just don't understand why some of you guys would be thinking about the "law" in this situation? All "Castle Doctrine" and "Duty to retreat" aside. If someone breaks into/invades my home, while I or one of my Family members are there? They are going to be confronted! I will not sit back and hope they are just happy to take my TV!

Someone breaking into my truck, that's parked in the driveway? Different story.

Just curios, Lefty.

I guess i just don't understand why some of you guys would be thinking about the "law" in this situation? All "Castle Doctrine" and "Duty to retreat" aside. If someone breaks into/invades my home, while I or one of my Family members are there? They are going to be confronted! I will not sit back and hope they are just happy to take my TV!

Someone breaking into my truck, that's parked in the driveway? Different story.

Just curios, Lefty.

you're thinking very narrowly. it doesn't always happen that way. what if you hear a weird noise in the night, go investigate, and find some teenage kid holding your TV? his hands are full.. at that moment, is he a deadly threat? how quickly can he become one? can you react to whatever he does quick enough that shooting him is NOT the only options? what if you come home one night and somebody is passed out on your couch? what if you left your door unlocked, and some guy stumbles through and walks into your living room with empty hands? do you wait to see if he's some drunk who mistook your door for his, or do you pump him full of 147gr GDs?

the law will NOT protect you if you shoot a drunk who breaks into your house. the elements of all Burglary charges under the ORS require intent- a drunk has no intent. and if he's not committing Burglary, under the ORS, you are NOT allowed to shoot him.

not implying answers to any of this, just putting it up for consideration.

what if you come home one night and somebody is passed out on your couch? what if you left your door unlocked, and some guy stumbles through and walks into your living room with empty hands? do you wait to see if he's some drunk who mistook your door for his, or do you pump him full of 147gr GDs?

the law will NOT protect you if you shoot a drunk who breaks into your house. the elements of all Burglary charges under the ORS require intent- a drunk has no intent. and if he's not committing Burglary, under the ORS, you are NOT allowed to shoot him.

Reminds me of this:

<broken link removed>

Even if you aren't charged with anything, you'll still end up paying a lot of money in legal fees.

OK I didn't read all the replies,but if you have kids in the house,a small wife/girl friend .or are of small stature then most other people are a life threat.

And IF YOU THINK about it when they are in your house,you have already lost the game.
There won't be a trial to see if a loved one is going to live.

Just something to think about.

If it's me? We'll have our fun.
If family is involved? You have NO CHANCE

6 and 12 rule applies

f u ck 'em

And this matters how? Are all the family members still alive?
Sue me,charge me,do whatever you want.
My family still comes first.

Um yeah, I think we can ALL agree that our lives and family come first.... That's pretty obvious and wasn't even in question....

But if I have even a split second longer to assess the situation and it keeps me from getting financially raped after, I'm probably going to make the most of it before I blow away a non-threat on a bad judgment call THAT I HAD REASONABLE TIME TO CONSIDER and just plain ignored. It's not worth the risk to me.

IMO if you truly care about protecting your family, you'd take steps to protect it in all aspects, before and after the fact.

And it matters because not everyone is like you, of course. :)

Prayer has nothing to do with it. If someone is in the house,and I have loved ones there,I will think of saving the loved ones before all else.
I will end the threat,and if they are in my house,uninvited,they are a threat to my family's safety.
Like I said before,if you start thinking,"Gosh,he's just taking the TV,maybe I should pray to see if he'll kill me" Next thing you know you're talking to your god in person.

And the two of you can watch from above,as the robber rapes your wife and children
Does that make it clearer?

You pray,I'll shoot

Um yeah, I think we can ALL agree that our lives and family come first.... That's pretty obvious and wasn't even in question....

But if I have even a split second longer to assess the situation and it keeps me from getting financially raped after, I'm probably going to make the most of it before I blow away a non-threat on a bad judgment call THAT I HAD REASONABLE TIME TO CONSIDER and just plain ignored. It's not worth the risk to me.

IMO if you truly care about protecting your family, you'd take steps to protect it in all aspects, before and after the fact.

And it matters because not everyone is like you, of course. :)

Take the split second and maybe the guy with the TV won't.
That's just what he is hoping for,you to asses the situation so he can take advantage.

Thats one great reason for the my dog at the front door.MOST intruders will be discouraged from even entering at all.He knows the whole house is awake before he even gets inside. If he decides to try and enter past a big barking dog,I figure he's not after my tv,would you agree?

In case of a bedroom intruder I would suggest "You better hide yo kids, hide yo wife and hide yo husband."

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)

you're thinking very narrowly. it doesn't always happen that way. what if you hear a weird noise in the night, go investigate, and find some teenage kid holding your TV? his hands are full.. at that moment, is he a deadly threat? how quickly can he become one? can you react to whatever he does quick enough that shooting him is NOT the only options? what if you come home one night and somebody is passed out on your couch? what if you left your door unlocked, and some guy stumbles through and walks into your living room with empty hands? do you wait to see if he's some drunk who mistook your door for his, or do you pump him full of 147gr GDs?

not implying answers to any of this, just putting it up for consideration.

I can see where you are coming from. But in my situation, this would not be the case. Like i said, if someone broke into/invaded my home, they will be confronted and i will put as much distance as possible between them and mine! I have seen enough death in my life and the last thing i want to do is, cause more. However, once someone(s) enters my home under the circumstances of the OP, I don't care what there intentions are. They provoked the confrontation and i will protect mine and myself. If someone is breaking into my truck? I would still confront but would not consider killing them over something i can replace.

My $0.02. Lefty.

To the OP. My plan, with the same HD gun (500A loaded with 00 buck) is to not disturb my girls in bunk beds at all. I have drilled this my self, MANY times. All my lines of fire are safe for them. In other words, I could take down my entire house if need be, with out ever putting a pellet any where near there bed. The plan is very simple (less to remember under stress) my better half follows me down the hall from our room to there's and stays in the room with them with a phone 'till it's all over. That way I know where all the "frendlys" are in the house.
Work out your plan of defense in a 360* radius from there bed out. I do not plan to hunt down an intruder/s. If they plan to steal only, and I have no clear shot, they make it out with there lives and what they can carry. If they plan to harm/disturb/harass my fam. or my self in any way shape or form, they leave in box back trucks with lights on them.
Clear cut, less to drill, less to worry about, and my girls do not need face the idea of "Daddy needs to shoot some one, stay out of the way" until it has happened (no drills, no false alarms).
When they get a little older, and can fully understand all that is at steak, and involved, I will drill WITH them. Until then, I would rather keep them out of it.
Just my $.02

OK, reading a few more replies here, I think that a lot of people are ignoring the "Castle Laws" here in Oregon. Everything has an exception, but in general, in Oregon, the law likes to side with the resident with in reason.
Not offering legal advice here at all, just saying.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top