JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
O.K. now explain why it is ok to give away your position with a light that also gives them an aim point but not sound?

because you've had low-light CQB training and know how to effectively employ a WML without becoming a self-designating target.

otherwise- racking the slide lets the intruder know you're there, but offers YOU zero combative advantage. it doesn't put your sight on target, it doesn't allow you to verify SHOOT, it doesn't illuminate your target for target acquisition. all it does is give the intruder an advantage he didn't previously have- he may opt to run, but as likely as not, he'll use that information to engage you.

however, if you know how to move through a low-light CQB environment, you know how to isolate and limit your light signature. you shine the light briefly to clear a room, or not at all.. then when you're in a decent firing position, believe you have an engageable target covered, you shine and fire or shine and dont fire. but either way, you have eyes on, sights on, and he has neither at that moment.

Moving everyone into a defendable room makes sense.
In home drills make sense.
Training makes sense.
Don't forget to keep your cell phone on a charger in your room.
A flash light on a lanyard is also a good back-up for the wife to make the call to 911
on the cell phone.
Shot gun makes sense.
A round in the chamber with kids around, not a good idea.
I use a 'Stream Light' brand light mounted on a tactical foreguard on my shot gun.
It has a strobe feature. It also has instant on.

If you want a light for your shot gun, you dont have to spend alot of money to get one.

BIG 5 just had a light/laser comb. that clamped onto a 12 guage barrel. $29.95
That included a remote on/off switch.

speaking of intruder, In WA state what is the legal issue here? I know some state you are not able to shoot them or something.

Im not positive of the exact law, but I believe you have to have a significant threat to your life in order to use deadly force.
A property crime will not be sufficient for that type of response (I am merely guessing though).

The access to the sleeping area in our house is down a long hallway. At the beginning is a small sconce light that can be switched from my bedroom door. Anyone coming down that hallway is backlit while I kneel in the doorway.

The access to the sleeping area in our house is down a long hallway. At the beginning is a small sconce light that can be switched from my bedroom door. Anyone coming down that hallway is backlit while I kneel in the doorway.

+1 Same thing here. The light at the end of the hallway also illuminates the entire living room. We leave it on low every night (like a night light).
Looking to my bedroom from the living room, you can't see anything except darkness. Looking from the bedroom out to the living room, I can see everything. I can lean over and look down the hall into the living room without getting out of bed.
My wife knows she is to roll off her side of the bed onto the floor and call 911 on her cell phone (we each charge our cell phones on our nightstands every night) while I DEFEND us from within our bedroom. If anyone came down the hall, it would end badly for them. I wouldn't bother attempting to clear the house. I cannot justify leaving a very defensible position. That would put ME coming down the hallway in the open - not a good place to be.

Your doing exactly what I would do.
Leave 'clearing the house' up to the professionals.
Keep in place, on the phone with dispatch. Don't allow harm to come
to you or yours.
Give dispatch an account of what is happening.

Your doing exactly what I would do.
Leave 'clearing the house' up to the professionals.
Keep in place, on the phone with dispatch. Don't allow harm to come
to you or yours.
Give dispatch an account of what is happening.

That also puts you in the obvious position of DEFENSE when you go to court. If it can be shown you took every possible action to avoid confrontation you are on the high ground . If you go "hunting" the intruder you take the aggressive role. I know it is silly, but actively trying to protect your belongings is not always accepted as a valid action. Stick to protecting lives in a defensive position and it will stand you in good stead in court.

That also puts you in the obvious position of DEFENSE when you go to court. If it can be shown you took every possible action to avoid confrontation you are on the high ground . If you go "hunting" the intruder you take the aggressive role. I know it is silly, but actively trying to protect your belongings is not always accepted as a valid action. Stick to protecting lives in a defensive position and it will stand you in good stead in court.

"never clear your own house" philosophies are sort of ridiculous. should you call 911 every time you hear a thump in the night? should you stay in bed and NOT call 911 when you hear a thump in the night?

sometimes you need to. and besides, "professionals" rarely are. the average cop definitely has a lot more "training" than the average gun owner, but a gun owner with the most basic instruction in CQB is already miles above the average cop.

"never clear your own house" philosophies are sort of ridiculous. should you call 911 every time you hear a thump in the night? should you stay in bed and NOT call 911 when you hear a thump in the night?

sometimes you need to. and besides, "professionals" rarely are. the average cop definitely has a lot more "training" than the average gun owner, but a gun owner with the most basic instruction in CQB is already miles above the average cop.
If the perimeter alarms of my house sound..it is NOT a "bump in the night". And a call to 911 merely means helps is 20 mins or so away. I believe you are in a stronger position to make the BG come to you rather than venturing out where your angles of attack are multiplied and you may encounter more than one adversary.

"I HAVE A GUN AND I'VE ALREADY CALLED THE POLICE!"
Then stay put in the bedroom at the end of the hallway that forms the 'fatal funnel.' If they stay focused on stealing the laptops and the widescreen, they get to keep breathing. If they come down the hallway toward us, they don't.

Centerfire - it sounds like you are on the right track.
Research a lot. Ask a lot of questions and decide for yourself what makes sense for you and your family.

You and your spouse can make a plan and drill with minimal involvement from the kids. Playing things out in your mind and working with your wife (drilling) is a great idea - her on 911 while you ready, then both heading to boys room, etc.

I think a shotgun is the best way to go. I Don't agree with the idea of racking the slide to act as a deterrent. I Do agree that empty chamber with kids around is best.
00 buckshot is best IMHO for home defense. But as in all use of firearms, you must know what's beyond your target and know your backstop. 00 buck in an apartment could be too much. Great thing about shotguns is you can choose different shot to accomplish what's needed and minimize overpenetration. I obviously don't know your apartment layout/construction, but #4 buckshot might be a good alternative (don't rely on light bird shot).

I like the conversations about smart in home lighting and holding defensive positions. It does get tricky for some who have loved ones in multiple rooms in different parts of the house.
Good luck and be safe.

Im not positive of the exact law, but I believe you have to have a significant threat to your life in order to use deadly force.
A property crime will not be sufficient for that type of response (I am merely guessing though).

In Kalifornia, the key statement is, "I was in fear for my life". Almost every defensive training program I attended said this. Not exactly a get out of jail statement, but very close.

I agree. I hear something or someone in the house I'm going into offense mode. I'll leave the defending our bedroom with a shotgun to the MRS.

I seriously doubt anyone breaking into my house day or night is going to try to drop me with a well placed shoot to the chest or care about whats behind me. So I'm going to put as much distance and bullet slowing (hopefully stopping) material as possible between her and the criminal.

Just my $0.02.

Lefty.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews