JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
An Aimpoint is much quicker than a scope for target acquisition. Due to eyesight considerations, iron sights are out of the question. I did pro tournament paintball for a few years and a scope is not what you want when you need to shoot quickly.

My thought here is I would only go with one sight system, whichever one you prefer. The more you add the more you have to figure out, under stress, which one do you use in one situation over another? Too complicated for me.

Im also curious how well the Aimpoint will work under stress at close distances without a good cheekweld? its pretty high up there and above the bore axis...

VERY nice set up. I have a light / laser combo on all of my guns now that I may "go to" in the home. Eye's are old these days. When we lived in the city it was never "dark" unless power died. When I moved out to the county it was a different story and power goes out a lot more. Now days if power dies I feel like I am suddenly in a damn cave :eek::eek:
The lights I buy have a rechargeable battery that charges while on the item. Little magnet grabs them to charge. Liked it so much I bought a bunch of them. Many don't like these things buy I am solidly sold on them.
And your not going to share with us what lights those are. :s0012:
BTW why are people assuming that people in a rural setting are relying solely on a weapon mounted light? Everyone I know would typically grab a handheld also. Dam inconvenient using a weapon light for navigation.

And your not going to share with us what lights those are. :s0012:
BTW why are people assuming that people in a rural setting are relying solely on a weapon mounted light? Everyone I know would typically grab a handheld also. Dam inconvenient using a weapon light for navigation.
LOL, have mentioned them before so I thought all knew. Been buying them from Amazon. Come in green or red laser. They seem to be holing up great on both pistols and PCC's. Just ordered another one for the house shotgun even though it's long been a safe queen.

Firefly V2 Flashlight Laser Sight | Strobe Function | Combat Veteran Owned Company | Pistols | Rifles | 220 Lumens | Magnetic Charging | Laser Flashlight Combo For Handgun Pistol Hand Gun | Gun Light

Amazon.com : Firefly V2 Flashlight Laser Sight | Strobe Function | Combat Veteran Owned Company | Pistols | Rifles | 220 Lumens | Magnetic Charging | Laser Flashlight Combo For Handgun | Gun Light (Red-Laser) : Sports & Outdoors

Get a night vision monocular and an infra red laser designator. You don't want to give away your presence or position with a bright flash light and draw gun fire to you. I have NV and an infra red laser and it is a HUGE game changer.

My thought here is I would only go with one sight system, whichever one you prefer. The more you add the more you have to figure out, under stress, which one do you use in one situation over another? Too complicated for me.

Im also curious how well the Aimpoint will work under stress at close distances without a good cheekweld? its pretty high up there and above the bore axis...
Close in is what the laser is for.

My experience with paintball combat is that the Aimpoint doesn't care about cheek weld, and the Aimpoint is a couple ounces of weight. What I really wish is that I could have a burst selector switch like on a tournament grade paintball gun about the time I left the sport. They had a couple models with 9V batteries in the grip handle that were electronically controlled. You could select single shot, three round burst, or full auto (though only idiots used full auto for anything but goofing off).

I suggest a broken-in (not broken!) and tested Hi-Point. Functions and will do for closer-in self defense. Reason? If you use the weapon in a shoot, no matter how righteous, how justified, the popo will take your piece and keep it, and you will have the devil's own time getting it back. Seems like this is "just the way it goes".:s0117:
The rifle was free. I won it in a drawing here on NWFA. Other than that there's a couple hundred dollars in the whole rig. :)

Amazing the suggestions for a $30 Amazon no-name light on a weapon that might someday be used to protect lives.

Come on guys.....

Amazing the suggestions for a $30 Amazon no-name light on a weapon that might someday be used to protect lives.

Come on guys.....
In the "early days" of these things like lights for a weapon I would have been leery of buying these. These things have become so common now I no longer am. The ones I have been buying for a while are in the $50 range but I have yet to have one fail. The oldest one has seen a lot of use on both hand guns and PCC's. Now if I was to take to the field in battle? Well no. For something on a gun that some day may have to defend me? Yes, I have no problem with them. Before I started buying these I had a couple pressure switch adapters that work on Streamlights. The oldest one of these I have had since the early days of the net being invented. IIRC I paid a lot more for them back then because they were a newer kind of thing.
As for "worry" about a gun I use to defend me or mine being taken? To me this has never made any sense. First off how many times does this happen in the average life span? Most of us will go our entire life and never use a gun for this. If we do, anyone remember "famous shoots" like Travon? Even that guy got his gun back to sell. Now if I ever splurge and buy a 1911 that costs me 10K, and it gets taken? I might weep a few tears. If one of my guns that cost me from several hundred to 1K is used to save my life and gets taken? Does anyone really think I will think it was not a good trade? I lost my gun but I saved my or family life? Common on guys. It's not going to happen in the first place, and if it does WTFC's?

Last Edited:
I use this mount to mount my light on my AR.

ZFH1500 - Elzetta Tactical Lighting

But they also one for a M1913 rail mount:

ZRX - Elzetta Tactical Lighting

Also have an Elzetta flashlight. Mine is the older one that I believe is 235 lumens. The newer ones are much brighter.

Flashlights - Elzetta Tactical Lighting

The flashlights are not cheap.:D

I use the on/off tailcap and with just a light touch it will turn on and illuminate the target. Taking my finger off the light will go off. If press harder it will click turning light on until I press it again turn it off. I use the momentary on feature only since I do not want to make myself a target by turning the lights on and leaving it on.

79B738AB-9F95-4EEA-B4A8-AE014E5E29DD.jpeg

Last Edited:
In fact it was a "lawful shoot"... Just sayin, they don't necessarily return your weapon unless you go after them with an atty. I recounted the event here but the censorers got it and wouldn't let me post it. This will probably be blocked too.

Well then that would be a corrupt precinct in which case I agree its not likely you will get it back.
Luckily most are honest. IMO I dont worry about the issue as the odds of even needing a gun are so low. If it happened to me Id just buy another one. Carry what you shoot best, not what you dont care if you lose it. The idea of that never made sense to me.

In the "early days" of these things like lights for a weapon I would have been leery of buying these. These things have become so common now I no longer am. The ones I have been buying for a while are in the $50 range but I have yet to have one fail. The oldest one has seen a lot of use on both hand guns and PCC's. Now if I was to take to the field in battle? Well no. For something on a gun that some day may have to defend me? Yes, I have no problem with them. Before I started buying these I had a couple pressure switch adapters that work on Streamlights. The oldest one of these I have had since the early days of the net being invented. IIRC I paid a lot more for them back then because they were a newer kind of thing.
As for "worry" about a gun I use to defend me or mine being taken? To me this has never made any sense. First off how many times does this happen in the average life span? Most of us will go our entire life and never use a gun for this. If we do, anyone remember "famous shoots" like Travon? Even that guy got his gun back to sell. Now if I ever splurge and buy a 1911 that costs me 10K, and it gets taken? I might weep a few tears. If one of my guns that cost me from several hundred to 1K is used to save my life and gets taken? Does anyone really think I will think it was not a good trade? I lost my gun but I saved my or family life? Common on guys. It's not going to happen in the first place, and if it does WTFC's?

Ok. If you choose to save $20-40 on a light that may save your life that's cool.

BTW, the "worry" you speak of is last on my list if god forbid I have to use my weapon.

I have to consider a home invasion scenario where I'm being attacked by several bad guys who are approaching through the woods during the day or at night.

Okay, what do you have at your house that would generate a coordinated infiltration by a platoon of armed men, and why have you let such information out?

Or have you been watching too much Van Damage movies?

P

My thought;

A light needs to be mounted to the rifle. Hard to manipulate a rifle with one hand, under pressure...when one hasn't consistently trained to do it...and you won't see anyone with any experience run a rifle without one attached.

Lumens means nothing without Candella to back it up. Think Lumens as Volts, unless you have Amps to back it up...you have little. Candella is the Amps...which is needed for longer sight distance...and the light needs to be as capable as the weapon its attached to.

Case in point; Modlite offers a WML (OKW), which only has 680 Lumens, but has 69,000 Candella. This light will easily ID something at 200 yards, whereas a light with 1,500 Lumens, and with 15,000 Candella...is good for about 50-75 yards or so...and most designated WMLs only run with around 11,000-15,000+ Candella.

Pistol lights on rifles work for close range, as they weren't meant for distance...they don't have the Candella or focused beam for that.

Had a few night light sections of training last year where folks would bring out lights and see how useful they were. Most...were not. Do not short change yourself in this area...ID is paramount.

Lastly...I'd run a remote switch. Keeping a complete grip on the rifle is a plus.

I would go with a LPVO with a lighted reticle, before going with two different sights. I look at weight savings and bulk. Just make sure the LVPO chosen has a true 1 power for close in work.
Some truth bombs right there.

Big time truth bombs. I have years worth of Surefire lights, last year I made a point to up my illumination game and bought a SF DF, a Modlite OKW and a Cloud Defensive OWL. The Surefires, including the DF, are sucking hind tit.

And yeah, 30 bucks on a WML. :s0001: Talk about putting a low price tag on your tail.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top