JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know that it's not a good idea for CCW due to the liabilities but what about home defense? Same thing or no?

Been reading a lot of Ayoob???

My issue with reloads for self-defense or home defense does not revolve around liability... It is that I have used reloads in competition and had enough problems that for me factory ammo is more reliable. Not perfection anymore, but better than my history with reloads. Particularly with certain types of hard primers, failure to fully seat primers due to dirty primer pockets, failure to monitor for powder drop (resulting in squibs), etc. Too many things that can and do go wrong. I'd rather not have an ammo malfunction in the middle of a gunfight, and if factory ammo can lower the odds, then that is the way for me.

IMO if worried about lawyers using the fact that one has reloads against the defender, I see no diff between CCW and home defense.

I would suggest that one uses whatever load functions the most reliable out of your firearm...along with whatever load you shoot the best with....Hopefully they are one and the same.
And not worry 'bout lawyers.*
Andy
*Edit to add :
If it comes to court...and some lawyer goes on about using hand loads , one could argue that they are actually safer to use , as they are the most accurate load for the gun.
So there is less chance for harming others , with a missed shot.

Said it before, I'll say it again: if the ammo you used is the deciding factor for prison it was a bad shoot from the start.

Some of us carry and use a caliber that doesn't have a great supply of "Duty Ammo" available, so it's hand loads, and I have never had any issues with consistency or functionality! I get about the same number of failures as good factory ammo, so it's a wash, and I get much better ammo then the factories are currently producing! :cool:

Forgive me for I not know about some "possible liabilities" of rolling your own self defence ammo and actually using it if needed. What is the discrepancy implied regarding such liabilities? I will soon be loading my own 357 SIG (my carry cartridge), 44 mag and 454 Causll as far as handgun rounds go.

The theroy is , if you use hand loads for a defensive shoot and go to court...
The fact that you used hand loads will be used against you...As it could be "spun" that hand loads are "more deadly".

This theory has been around for a awhile now and often is repeated by both professional gun writer and amateur gun writer on many a forum , gun shop and gun show etc...
Andy

The fact that you used hand loads will be used against you...As it could be "spun" that hand loads are "more deadly".

This theory has been around for a awhile now and often is repeated by both professional gun writer and amateur gun writer on many a forum , gun shop and gun show etc...
Andy
Thanks. Still appears to be hogwash to me.

It is hogwash, the question that needs to be answered is weather or not the shooting was jusified or not. Not would the perp be less dead if shot with a factory JHP over a home rolled one.

Carry reloads exclusively. Always found that argument against them to be bologna. You're going to tell me that while in the process of defending your life from an attacker the bullets you use will matter - hogwash.

A good shoot will be a good shoot regardless if you hit them with a black powder cannon or a stock .22lr

I know that it's not a good idea for CCW due to the liabilities but what about home defense? Same thing or no?
There is no proven liability to using your own loads unless you mean what if they do not work. For one all of us will go our life and never have to shoot anyone. Far more often the gun being there ends things before a shot is fired. For the few unlucky who do have to shoot someone the ammo is not what they need to worry about. What they need to control is their mouth. Almost without fail when a shoot that "looks good" gets "complicated" it's the shooters mouth who got them in hot water. If you have to shoot let your lawyer talk for you. Many just can't and start in trying to win their case to the Police. This is NEVER going to help.
Now as for why? If it's a common caliber even decent defense ammo is still there to buy. Damn stuff can be pricey but how much of it are you going to burn? New gun, want to make sure it feeds HP's? Sure load some up and play. Then use commercial to carry.
When I learned to roll it was due to me buying a couple small 5 shot .44's. We could not order ammo back then and finding the ammo in a store was impossible. If they had any it was the old heavy RN lead load. So I learned to make my own. Now days most all of us can just order what we want of course.
So if you want to use your own loads? Fine. Chances are you are not going to be shooting anyone. If luck turns and you have too? What you say after is FAR more important than the ammo. Let the Lawyer talk. :cool:

Andy
A "Professional gun writer" is the one who got this going decades back. In one of his books he made a comment about avoiding home rolled and it spread from there. Often with being retold in watering holes and then the net if became people saying they had seen court cases where it was used. Of course they could never find the case when asked. What you will have no trouble finding is cases where someone used a gun when they should not have and or could not shut up after and let the lawyer talk. :(

There is no proven liability to using your own loads unless you mean what if they do not work. For one all of us will go our life and never have to shoot anyone. Far more often the gun being there ends things before a shot is fired. For the few unlucky who do have to shoot someone the ammo is not what they need to worry about. What they need to control is their mouth. Almost without fail when a shoot that "looks good" gets "complicated" it's the shooters mouth who got them in hot water. If you have to shoot let your lawyer talk for you. Many just can't and start in trying to win their case to the Police. This is NEVER going to help.
Now as for why? If it's a common caliber even decent defense ammo is still there to buy. Damn stuff can be pricey but how much of it are you going to burn? New gun, want to make sure it feeds HP's? Sure load some up and play. Then use commercial to carry.
When I learned to roll it was due to me buying a couple small 5 shot .44's. We could not order ammo back then and finding the ammo in a store was impossible. If they had any it was the old heavy RN lead load. So I learned to make my own. Now days most all of us can just order what we want of course.
So if you want to use your own loads? Fine. Chances are you are not going to be shooting anyone. If luck turns and you have too? What you say after is FAR more important than the ammo. Let the Lawyer talk. :cool:

:) I was curious and thought I'd drop a post in this law & legal forum to seek a general consensus here.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top