JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was watching some break in videos of three guys busting down the door (not local). Also local news reports of one crazy guy busting down the door, and another where 2-3 guys breaking in and tying up homeowner (I think west Linn was where it happened?). Also I personally witnessed a group of 5+ lowlife poeple with dogs "out walking their dogs" At 1am down the alley in an eastern OR town (a couple days later the neighbor's house was broken into).

So what do u think is the most likely scenario(s) for a home invasion where u live? What is ur preferred HD gun for that/those scenario(s)?

It's all very unpredictable. The Clutter family was living a quiet life on an isolated farm in Kansas when they met their demise. These days, people whacked out on drugs do crimes under all kinds of different circumstances. I don't know that much about it, but my instinct is that most true home invasions are based on foreknowledge that there is something worth stealing inside. Lots of residential daytime burglaries may be based on the same kind of knowledge, but probably have a higher percentage that are simply based on random choice or drive-by appearance.

I think people can reduce their exposure. And apparently other people have this feeling too, as witnessed by some of them moving farther out this year. For reasons of Covid but also likely as a result of urban violence.

Living in a home with an alley. Something to be avoided in home choice. An alley just gives crooks another means of access to your home or garage. And a good, unobserved parking spot while they do their work. If you have a garage located on an alley, fortify it. Keep a big dog outside at night.

If you live in town, don't let people see you carrying firearms to or from your car when you are going shooting. It just tells some people what's in the house.

I've never suffered a home invasion. If I were to, my favorite gun would be the one I had closest access to.

I agree with @gmerkt , unpredictable. But there are scenarios more likely than others. Location is a big factor. Some areas are going to be more prone to home invasions but they are still unlikely (doesn't mean we should not prepare for them). Homeless population with mental health or drug issues is another factor. Someone following you home because of your Glock sticker on your car. All possibilities. I try to think of what is likely for me and prepare for this.

Se vis pacem, para bellum

I personally believe the majority of home invasions involve homes where there is illegal activity (drugs, etc.). That said, I'm sure random home invasions/burglaries do occur at times. Best defenses are dogs that alert well, neighbors that keep an eye on things, and good security lighting. And having a gun in your hand after the dogs alert to something.

I agree with @FourTeeFive in that there are things that thieves don't like and will help to minimize the possibility of someone kicking your door in. In addition to what was previously stated, I think signs advising that cameras are in use (and actual cameras) help make thugs think twice about entering a home. Thieves are lazy. They want to break in where they meet the least amount resistance or possibility of getting caught.

As far as which firearm to use.....a "friend" of mine has firearms strategically located about the house (allegedly). Someone kicks in his door, he will do his best to get to the nearest one and repel the intruders. I think which firearm or what caliber is not nearly as important as simply having a loaded firearm in your hand. That's what my "friend" told me anyway. ;)

Last Edited:
I live in a town of 1200 with a crime rate that barely registers. Seriously. The national average crime index number is 380. My town is at 25. The nearest big city is Spokane with a crime index number of 680. No thank you!

I have a 9mm AR-pistol within 10' of me just in case. It is highly unlikely that I will ever have to use it.

The last time I investigated the security light coming on outside, it was a couple of deer in my yard.

Yes, I make half what I could if I lived in another area with more job opportunities. I used to live in one of those areas. The total peace of mind and lack of stress or worry is totally worth it.

In my former location, I had thorny bushes planted outside my children's bedroom windows to keep sexual predators out. I had a large dog with free reign of the property. I dug bullets out of the siding due to a drive-by. I had my car broken into in the driveway. I had the neighbor two houses down get killed by the police when he got drunk and attacked his wife with a steak knife.

Here, I left the front door open with just the storm door closed a few times when running to the market downtown to grab some wine this summer. I have forgotten the keys in my new car sitting out front overnight, and I have left the garage door open with a new UTV with the keys in it sitting inside. Nothing has happened, fortunately, and the odds are ever in my favor.

I can't stand to live somewhere where I have to constantly stress over the threat of crime. Sure, I'm poorer financially than a lot of folks here, but I wouldn't trade my peace of mind for their fancy houses and guns only to be constantly worried about them.

I pretty much expect, and hope none of the above. Of course anyone who knows me knows I am always prepared for something unexpected. Sleep days, have dogs to let me know if some fool tries to come in. Have gun next to bed, both hand gun and a PCC if the dogs to not run them off.
When home at night watching the tube always have a hand gun laying on the table next to our chairs, PCC in in the corner where it can't be seen but we know its there.
Few mornings ago I did come home and spot one of Wife's "house guns" laying on her table where she watches TV. Full size 9mm with 18 round cap. When she got up I asked, "did something scare us?" :)
She laughed, said dogs were altered to something for a while multiple times. She saw nothing of camera's so figured it was some critter going by or such but she did finally get a bigger gun to have close at hand. We have no kids living at home any more so we can do this. :D

We live on a semi-rural* cul-de-sac. There have been burglaries in the past in the surrounding areas and one of the neighbors had a break-in a while back. We are both retired and home nearly all the time, so a burglary would be a home invasion.
Unfortunately carrying a full size or compact auto isn't feasible due to back pain, so a 5-shot .38 is the all the time home gun with more crunch available as req'd. I imagine that coming out of my bathrobe (Robe and sweats are uniform of the day if I don't have to go outside.) it would be a surprise.

*Semi-rural = can whizz in the yard, but can't shoot.
Full-on rural = can shoot a deer rifle in the yard.

My grass looks like junk out front and I have a gravel driveway. My next door neighbor has "Artistic" burglar bars and the other neighbor has 10 years worth of dew and mold on their roof.

My neighbor across the street has a very nice manicured lawn, beautiful polymer barkdust and those wooden rocking chairs from cracker barrel out front. His backdoor got kicked in and they stole his computer, numerous ipads and big screen TV during a summer evening.

I think if your spot looks mediocre and you don't have a nice car parked in the driveway that you would be really under the radar especially in a neighborhood.

To answer the question, I think it would be a no occupancy at home robbery scenario and not necessarily a home defense situation that is active versus passive.

I would think that criminals just want to make it in and out very easily.

My grass looks like junk out front and I have a gravel driveway. My next door neighbor has "Artistic" burglar bars and the other neighbor has 10 years worth of dew and mold on their roof.

My neighbor across the street has a very nice manicured lawn, beautiful polymer barkdust and those wooden rocking chairs from cracker barrel out front. His backdoor got kicked in and they stole his computer, numerous ipads and big screen TV during a summer evening.

I think if your spot looks mediocre and you don't have a nice car parked in the driveway that you would be really under the radar especially in a neighborhood.

To answer the question, I think it would be a no occupancy at home robbery scenario and not necessarily a home defense situation that is active versus passive.

I would think that criminals just want to make it in and out very easily.
That reminds me of the video below where the burglar explained what cues he used to pick the houses to rob. He said he didn't bother with houses that had an unmaintained yard cuz it showed owner couldn't afford to maintain it.

If u live in a protest area, the appearance of your house may also have some impact whether u are targeted imo.

Also explains how he broke in, how he "cased" the house (mainly jogging by), and what places in the house he looked for valuables. Worth a watch imo.

I dont think we have a lot of crime in my neighborhood . Most home invasions are people busting in for money or drugs . Burglaries are a different thing than a home invasion. I have neither nor do I have scumbaggy kid friends hanging around. In any case 7 rounds of 00 buck from the Benelli M2 SBS is in their future if they try.

I'm going to read the other comments after I posted so I can give the most honest answer. I expect one day to come home to a burglary in progress and I fear they'll already have some guns and ammo. I do what I can to prevent it but it's just doors and locks protecting things and I tend to get home very early morning/very late night.

I do not expect to already be home and hear someone crashing down my door or breaking glass, though I've already posted about a trespassing incident some months back around 2am.

because of your Glock sticker on your car.

I've been against this kind of stickering for some time. It's an advertisement of two things, (1) May be guns in the car, (2) Owner is likely to have a right wing point of view. Both of which these days could make you a target. For years now I won't even put an NRA sticker in my window.

I think signs advising that cameras are in use (and actual cameras) help make thugs think twice about entering a home. Thieves are lazy. They want to break in where they meet the least amount resistance or possibility of getting caught.

I agree and if cameras can be seen from the street or road, I don't even think the signs are necessary.

*Semi-rural = can whizz in the yard, but can't shoot.

This, for sure.

There is some logic to this. I've told people before, "Just put some multi-colored Big Wheels toys out front, maybe one of the cheapie plastic kids climbing structures." It says you have kids, therefore probably no money or valuables.

The most likely scenario is Harris kicks in the door and provides cover for Beta boy who jumps up on my kitchen counter and demands I hand over all my firearms. Meanwhile the big guy will be riding shotgun in the Beast, rambling to the SS driver about how he got there from his basement.

I am still working up my response plan.

A couple I knew had a break in and the old tv and a few things stole. They moved a old wood box off the top of the TV with silverware in it and set it aside . And left it , It was Sterling :eek:
Most burglers and home invaders are complete morons . when trying to use a preventive strategy. It is necessary to keep that in mind. When things get worse and some of the newbys panic when theres not enough cops to come to the rescue maybe they will thin the heard ,

Last Edited:
In 2010 we had an armed burglar enter our home, thankfully no one was harmed. He managed to take a small TV, an Bose speaker system, $7.00 from my wallet and a small computer screen. I didn't have my windows on my alarm system, which ended up being his entry point.

Thankfully we did practice before this happened.

Things I learned:
Have an alarm on every window and door, physically check them before you retire each night, have the outside of your home we'll lit at night, cut away any bushes that hide your home and if you can get a dog that will sound the alarm of anyone being outside as you sleep.

Lastly, have access to a firearm and be proficient with its use as it took the Pierce County Deputies 22 minutes to respond to my 911 call.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top