Home defense, what do u expect most likely scenario to be?

Reactions
I went to college in Orange County CA in the mid 1980’s when there were a lot of home invasions and gang crime in general. My impression was that these crimes were mostly by gangs who preyed on people who they could intimidate into not calling the police.
As others stated above these criminals often assault people or homes they have at least a bit of intel on.
Great points on how to protect your home and family here...

XoXSciFiGuy

Reactions
We had some problems in my neighborhood, and then I organized the neighbors. Then I installed motion-sensor security lighting and a proximity alarm.

Where I live it's one way in, same way out. Eight condos with a private parking lot. The thieves no longer show up here. We had some homeless folks camping in their cars on both side streets. I went out and talked to them in a nice way. Firm, but polite. We also have Samoans in this neighborhood, and they are not folks you want to mess with. Haven't had any problems for a while now. I keep a 12 gauge riot gun up in my home office, and a five shot S/W Lady Smith in 357 in the drawer.

And if someone were stupid enough to actually break in my door (been here 20 years and no incidents like that) it would be very bad for them because I hate being woke from a good sleep in the middle of the night.

Home invasions are much rarer than you think. That's why they always make the news. Straight daytime burglaries are much more common.
And WA state says you can blow them away just for trying to steal your property. Even in condos, if that property is outside in your 'assigned' parking spots, or in your common living area. (Back yard or porch or inside the home) Prosecutors seldom file on you when this happens here. They can't get convictions.

If you ever run into something bad like this, just remember to tell the cops you thought the perp was reaching for a weapon. ALWAYS say this. Even if you aren't sure, because that is something the prosecutor will hear from your lawyer, too.

Generally speaking, I'm the nicest guy you will ever meet. But regarding thieves, especially NIGHT thieves, I have absolutely no sympathy for these people. Not a scrap. People work hard for what they get, and they deserve to keep what they get by all that hard work.

Last edited:

Andy54Hawken

Reactions
What do I expect...?
I expect what has actually happened in the past...My garage being broken into as well as my vehicle.

'Course , often the real world does not do as I expect , so its good to have a plan for those "what ifs."
Be careful with your planning for "what if" , so that you don't "what if" yourself to death....as in worry way too much over things that are possible , but not highly probable.

One of the best things to do is to pay attention to your surroundings and when you get a notion that things ain't quite right...heed that notion.
Andy

Reactions
1) "And WA state says you can blow them away just for trying to steal your property."
This is contrary to everything I have ever heard about armed SD/HD. The only place I am aware of where you can shoot purely in defense of property (as opposed to life and limb) is TX, where you can shoot intruders after dark. Politically motivated prosecutors may not care as much about whether they can get a conviction as they do about intimidating people to discourage armed SD/HD. With every use of force against a BIPOC (I think that's the preferred term for a Criminal Scumbag of Color) perp having the potential to result in Burn, Loot, and Murder riots the leftie AGs and DAs really don't want you shooting the bad guys. In terms solely of $ value 5 guys with hand trucks couldn't steal enough to equal the costs involved with shooting an Orc, not to mention jeopardy to your freedom and any concomitant lawfare.

2) "If you ever run into something bad like this, just remember to tell the cops you thought the perp was reaching for a weapon. ALWAYS say this. Even if you aren't sure, because that is something the prosecutor will hear from your lawyer, too."
OF COURSE they were reaching for a weapon and you were in fear for your life, had no other feasible choice, and now you need to speak with legal counsel. (No Garrity Rights for the peons.)

Reactions
The most likely scenario is:

My cameras will record them, my motion-sensor lights will reveal them, my dog will bark at them, my locked windows and hardened doors will prevent them from entering and, with any luck, I'll have just as many rounds left as when the scenario began. But, if all else fails...

For me, this is about more than just preventing the crime. In the event that I face a very determined intruder who ignores all the security layers and ends up in my living room with lead poisoning, it is about showing a prosecutor/jury that I did everything I could to try and prevent the end result!

Last edited:

asiparks

Reactions
The most likely scenario is:

My cameras will record them, my motion-sensor lights will reveal them, my dog will bark at them, my locked windows and hardened doors will prevent them from entering and, with any luck, I'll have just as many rounds left as when the scenario began. But, if all else fails...
This:- ultra bright motion detecting lights are cheap, cameras are cheap, self install alarm systems are cheap. Unless a thief has intel that you have something really, really worth stealing ( and easy to fence), they're not going to cut your power, jam your wi-fi and outwit your alarm system. Just too much effort for casual burglars .

If someone does defeat all that, then we have defendable positions and further means of dissuasion.

HaveGun

Reactions
Just added one of those doorbell camera things and love it. I can be anywhere and tap on my phone and see what is going on at the front of my house.

I just used it tonight when my girlfriend and I were watching TV and she wondered out loud if it was snowing yet. Tapped on my phone and looked and confirmed it wasn't snowing.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Adaptive Firing Solutions. A+
    5 stars does not do Adaptive Firing Solutions justice. I have done business with him multiple times and wish I could give at least 12 stars...
  • Limitless America
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome shop
    Love this shop. Purchased a few items from them. Always have a lot of parts in stock without much markup. Purchased two cans this summer from them...
  • Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great, old school gun shop
    The store is a treasure trove I have found magazines for H&K, Ruger and M1A's and at great prices. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly and...
    • GWS
  • HighLine Firearms
    4.00 star(s)
    great place
    nice guy, local
  • Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
Top Bottom