JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Target Acquired: 6 Best Shotguns For Home Defense
Agree / Disagree with the list
Without going down the a .45 is better ... path, please.

Best-Shotguns-for-Home-Defense.jpg

My list:
The shotgun you have. Even if it is just a single shot.

Disagree cause 10mm is better
What ? You didn't say anything about 10mm just 45:D
I don't like the '97 for this. Heck of a thing to tear your hand open in the middle of a fire fight. Maybe your hands do t get in the way of the slide?
And just forget the stupid pistol grip shotguns. I can't understand why anyone thinks these are a good idea for anything.
The other three should be good to go

I don't like the '97 for this. Heck of a thing to tear your hand open in the middle of a fire fight. Maybe your hands do t get in the way of the slide?
And just forget the stupid pistol grip shotguns. I can't understand why anyone thinks these are a good idea for anything.
The other three should be good to go

This.

I don't mind the exposed hammer on the '97 or the exposed bolt , You do get used to it.

That said the best shotgun for home defense is... the one you have and shoot the best.
I like mine plain no rifle sights , slings or other attachments.
( well a shell holder on the stock is nice )
Notice I said "mine" ... Not how you have to have yours set up.

My grouse guns often fall into the role of home defense and I feel okay with that.
I shoot 'em a lot and they just feel good to shoot.
Not much thinking is involved with how to shoot 'em.

So I tend to fall back on use what you have that you shoot well with.
"Well with" as in without having to over think and miss .
Use the gun that has the most natural feel to you.

Winchester models:

Ithaca model 37

Remington 870 Wingmaster

High Standard "Brush king"

Mossberg 500 series
These are ones that I have owned , own or shot.

All are very good.
There are enough new and used out there that you can have a hard time picking which one is "best."
Andy

Last Edited:
:p

Agree.
Model 97 is a dog.....that's why the Model 12 was necessary.
Can't believe they're including that antique in the lineup.

Agree again.
Those are nutty, mall ninja sort of things. Someone without a stout grip would be disarmed after the first blast.....they'd better hit their target.

With the displayed furniture, the 870 is the only one that I would want for HD.
Mossberg 500 and the Benelli have a good reliability record, but I don't like that furniture.

My all-time favorite would be an Ithaca Model 37.
I have over 20,000 rounds through one of those, so I'm prejudiced.

Disagree.

I used to think that a shotgun was better than a pistol.

Then I ran some drills in the house with one, had my wife shoot it, and tried to find a good way to conceal it while also secured. It failed all three in my eyes.

Now I have a 9mm with a good bright led light on it and night sights. Short, easy to maneuver with, easy to shoot either handed, my wife feels much more controllable and comfortable shooting it, they make good small safes for it, and they make spare 30 round magazines just in case the first 17 didn't work.

Just my thoughts.

This:
100_2286.JPG
Mossberg 500 12ga 18" barrel, extended mag, dual point sling, reflex optic, 1200 lumen tactical light, laser, side saddle shell holder, recoil dampening grip/stock.

I don't use it for HD anymore since I have a .410 Judge in the nightstand and an AR pistol on the wall next to the bed. Although it is there if I need it. But if the SHTF it is accurate at 100yds, or more, with slugs... a good neighborhood defense gun to go with the carbine I haven't built yet. One on the hip, one on the back, and this baby to clear a path. :cool::D

The 870 is the only one of the bunch I would buy. (Edit: for Home defense)

I don't like adjustable stocks on a shotgun, hammers, pistol grips (with or without a stock).

Disagree.

I used to think that a shotgun was better than a pistol.

Then I ran some drills in the house with one, had my wife shoot it, and tried to find a good way to conceal it while also secured. It failed all three in my eyes.

Now I have a 9mm with a good bright led light on it and night sights. Short, easy to maneuver with, easy to shoot either handed, my wife feels much more controllable and comfortable shooting it, they make good small safes for it, and they make spare 30 round magazines just in case the first 17 didn't work.

Just my thoughts.

I keep a shotgun available so my wife can hunker down behind our bed and it gives her a great shot at anyone that makes it past me and before they can get to out kids room or if they walk into our room (12ga w/0000 buck shot is my preference).

My choices!
All my shotguns are former waterfowl guns! I know they are reliable. The three with all the goofy smit on them? Send them to the kiddy mall!
I'll take the M-97 and run! Let's see, two world wars, Korea and into 'Nam, IIRC! Naw, their too scary! That's like, "Gee, I'd never buy one of those BILLION, model 94 Winchesters!" " They have an uncovered bolt, AND the darned things stick out, all unpredictable and everything!" :eek:

IMG_0444.JPG IMG_0191.JPG

The old Mossberg (Monkey Wards) 500, in the ShotLock safe, was my mom's riot gun, loaded and in her bedroom until her mid '80's! My mamma was a PISTOL!!! :D

Last Edited:
Why do people put optics on a scatter gun?

Cuz it's for street fighting yardage and accuracy, cuz I shoot slugs not scattershot, and cuz I cain't see for chit. Those little beads or deer sights just disappear and fiber optic is no good in low light. Let's go to a 3-gun competition and we'll see what's what. ;)

If it was for inside I wouldn't bother with optic. But the recoil reducing pistol grip/stock does help keep the arthritis pains to a minimum.

Last Edited:
I keep a shotgun available so my wife can hunker down behind our bed and it gives her a great shot at anyone that makes it past me and before they can get to out kids room or if they walk into our room (12ga w/0000 buck shot is my preference).

I agree. My wifey has a Circuit Judge .410 for hunker duty. Closet is too confining and she has the perfect line on the bedroom door from the far side of the bed, at an angle and also a tall armoir for even more cover. My spot is behind the dresser corner with a straight shot to the doorway. No kids. I hope she will fight across the room from me cuz I'm not leavin that room until the LEOs arrive.

Last Edited:
I keep my old Mossberg 500 under the mattress, but the .40 is always on the night stand when I go to bed also. I admit, a shotty feels good underneath me, plus the sound of charging that thing usually scares the sh*t out of anyone in the house! 20170217_155019.jpg

I agree. My wifey has a Circuit Judge .410 for hunker duty. Closet is too confining and she has the perfect line on the bedroom door from the far side of the bed, at an angle and also a tall armoir for even more cover. My spot is behind the dresser corner with a straight shot to the doorway. No kids. I hope she will fight across the room from me cuz I'm not leavin that room until the LEOs arrive.

My wife won't go back to sleep if there is a bump in the night, been that way since we started living together at 18, so once or twice A year I get to clear the house and basement to make sure all the locks are locked and no windows are busted.

I'm still young enough that it keeps me in practice and I take the 3 D-battery Mag light with my pistol so I can use it as a club if I need too.

I have hardwood floors so it'd be hard to get the jump on me and I can walk my house in the dark and only use the light if I think I see or hear something unusual.

I can respect y'all that stay and wait but even if it weren't for my wife, I would probably clear my house anyway - I don't particularly want to call 911 for a tipped over plate in the dish drainer or such.

I can respect y'all that stay and wait but even if it weren't for my wife, I would probably clear my house anyway - I don't particularly want to call 911 for a tipped over plate in the dish drainer or such.

I can relate to that.

I have a small house, laminate floors, small yapper, kitchen is right off the master bd... nobody getting in here w/o us noticing. If plate falls over and no noise after that, I'm goin back to sleep. Wife is not jumpy. And she's meaner than me by far.

I'll take the M-97 and run! Let's see, two world wars, Korea and into 'Nam, IIRC! Naw, their too scary! That's like, "Gee, I'd never buy one of those BILLION, model 94 Winchesters!" " They have an uncovered bolt, AND the darned things stick out, all unpredictable and everything!" :eek:
Yep, they kept it as a trench gun for too long, IMO.
Inherently dangerous gun that had no safety.
I worked with an old trapshooter who lost a family member to a M97 accidental discharge.
IIRC, the shotgun was dropped and went off.
That event definitely shaped my opinion of the M97.

"There is the half cock safety notch on the <broken link removed> , but no other push button or sliding safety as most all other <broken link removed> have. The safest way to carry the 97 with a live round in the chamber is with the hammer on half cock position. IF it is working correctly, it will hold the hammer off of the firing pin and the sear in a notch in the hammer so a pull of the trigger will NOT drop the <broken link removed> . Carrying a 97 with a loaded round in the chamber and the <broken link removed> full down places the firing pin against the primer of the shell with the force of the hammer & mainspring behind it. Very easy for it to fire with a hit or bump to the hammer, like dropping the gun."

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top