JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Man, I certainly am not shooting low brass #8 shot in my home defense shotgun. I doubt that many people use low base target ammo for self-defense purposes. That is pretty much inserting a red herring into this discussion, in my opinion.
What's a red herring? You must listen to too much InfoWars because last time I heard the term Red Herring was when they were talking about jade helm... which was a pile of crap.

Again, I could easily clean and maintain my Browning Auto-5 as a young teen. To argue that your average shooter is so inept that he cannot adequately maintain a semiauto shotgun is a downright silly notion to have. My two AR-15 rifles are far, far more tedious and time consuming to clean and maintain than any of my shotguns are. And just tell me sir, how popular has the AR-15 become in today's society??

Are you now going to argue that your "average" shooter should not use an AR-15??

It's apparent that you are offended and have decided to launch an attack on me because I'm stating opinions that you disagree with. Got Snowflake? That's how you are acting. Act your age young man.

The average user has NO clue how to clear an AR jam, NO clue how to extract a round that's stuck in an AR chamber. They have NEVER heard of the term "Mortaring" in relationship to an AR. I'm assuming you in your godlike existence has, right?

And to then argue that simply using a semiauto shotgun is going to then induce someone into taking inappropriate shots? My goddess gracious, that is pure fantasy thinking. It is total imagination on your part.
I discussed this idea with somebody else who I value their opinions, maybe they were a LEO friend, maybe they were not.

This is all about TRIGGER CONTROL.. TRIGGER CONTROL. Average gun owners (myself included) do not do good under stress, if the LEO's dont, how are we expected to?

Let's examine for a minute a few videos:

And now tell me how in the absolute HELL you think in your mind that the average gun owner in America has better trigger discipline than PAID law enforcement officers?

LMGTFY

And again, if your argument about this is true, then people should not buy guns like a Ruger 10-22, or any type of AR or AK either. For those guns have far higher magazine capacities, and are thus going to cause more irresponsible shots than any shotgun would, if your theory was true.

Your arguments here against semiauto shotguns are absolutely full of holes.

Please, a 10/22 is not used as a self defense firearm, this thread is about shotguns. Please see your discredited account above in the four videos and link shared.

Remember, Michael Strickland had 'average gun owners' on the jury who thought they should be used for hunting and then promptly locked up once home and never taken out unless it's for hunting. Welcome to your non-average gun owner. I shoot at a minimum 2-3 hundred rounds per month between rifle, pistol and shotgun. I have family and friends who fall into the average gun owner category. My experience is called out as I see it. If you don't like my opinion... block me.

I'm done with this discussion, it's clear you have zero experience in people who are average gun owners who think shooting a box of two a year is enough.

Last Edited:
And now tell me how in the absolute HELL you think in your mind that the average gun owner in America has better trigger discipline than PAID law enforcement officers?
Simple, the average shooter isn't a paid law enforcement officers to begin with.

Just because they are law enforcement officers doesn't mean they have better trigger discipline.

yes. and I have shot some of it. I prefer 00. I like the way it shoots, patterns, and in my case, it seems like the best choice for home defense. Easily obtained. I live where rounds cannot impact another home. And my house is large and filled with walls, hallways, etc. that I might need to penetrate.

We used Federal 00 plated buckshot in the Navy. I was trained by Blackwater contractors, with NSW training protocols and they said that's the only 12 gauge 00 buckshot shell that was up to snuff. Over the years I have followed several capable instructors who train many people each year and see far more training than I do, and they have stayed true to the Federal Premium 00 buckshot, in that it's the only stuff that patterns consistently. The stuff Winchester loads for the gov is not the stuff that Winchester Olin sells at Walmart from what I have read from multiple sources. 00 patterns tighter than most folks realize, and it's not a blunderbuss type shell. Aiming and potentially reloading is a requirement for moving targets. We used shotguns for breaching, and clearing rooms and spaces/compartments on ships. (scary bubblegum considering the plated shot bouncing around the steel p-ways..) This is why the Specops boys and VBSS types use the Mk18 in 5.56Nato, it's more maneuverable and safer with more capability. I sidelined as VBSS, and SAT Leader, also did Coastal Warfare. We used MP5N/SD's, Shotguns, and M9's for VBSS in my time. Overwatch used M14's with IR and M60's. On the land we used M16's/M4's, and MP5's, M9's and Sigs. I worked and carried out numerous missions with Seals who carried MK46 para, M60 para, M4 SOPMODs and MK18's, and Sigs. I carried a MK46 on a mission. I also worked with AUS SAS, DevGru, Delta, and many other allied spec ops.

I use slugs for shooting pumpkins and watermelons. My dog loves watermelon. I blow em up and he gets to eat em. Makes for a happy day in the woods for both of us. :D

We used Federal 00 plated buckshot in the Navy. I was trained by Blackwater contractors, with NSW training protocols and they said that's the only 12 gauge 00 buckshot shell that was up to snuff. Over the years I have followed several capable instructors who train many people each year and see far more training than I do, and they have stayed true to the Federal Premium 00 buckshot, in that it's the only stuff that patterns consistently. The stuff Winchester loads for the gov is not the stuff that Winchester Olin sells at Walmart from what I have read from multiple sources. 00 patterns tighter than most folks realize, and it's not a blunderbuss type shell. Aiming and potentially reloading is a requirement for moving targets. We used shotguns for breaching, and clearing rooms and spaces/compartments on ships. (scary bubblegum considering the plated shot bouncing around the steel p-ways..) This is why the Specops boys and VBSS types use the Mk18 in 5.56Nato, it's more maneuverable and safer with more capability. I sidelined as VBSS, and SAT Leader, also did Coastal Warfare. We used MP5N/SD's, Shotguns, and M9's for VBSS in my time. Overwatch used M14's with IR and M60's. On the land we used M16's/M4's, and MP5's, M9's and Sigs. I worked and carried out numerous missions with Seals who carried MK46 para, M60 para, M4 SOPMODs and MK18's, and Sigs. I carried a MK46 on a mission. I also worked with AUS SAS, DevGru, Delta, and many other allied spec ops.

Cool!!

Last Edited:
Will you stop?
This all started with #8 shot for home defense and some special magic dust in the powder, Now look at you.

Join the forum, I still have buffered 00 buck shot from the local town cop shop dating from the 1970s I kept in my shot gun wile on patrol.
It works better than #8 shot.
That is it - Calm down.
Silver Hand

I'm pouring myself a glass of Tennessee bourbon, while you continue your rambling. I have a theory that if you can't lend insight or wisdom to the conversation you should refrain from comment. Beware of shotgun over penetration folks, know your gear, stay safe.

I'm pouring myself a glass of Tennessee bourbon, while you continue your rambling. I have a theory that if you can't lend insight or wisdom to the conversation you should refrain from comment. Beware of shotgun over penetration folks, know your gear, stay safe.
Use number 8 shot, He is all about why.
Just ask the Whiskey.
Silver Hand

What's a red herring? You must listen to too much InfoWars because last time I heard the term Red Herring was when they were talking about jade helm... which was a pile of crap.

It's apparent that you are offended and have decided to launch an attack on me because I'm stating opinions that you disagree with. Got Snowflake? That's how you are acting. Act your age young man.

The average user has NO clue how to clear an AR jam, NO clue how to extract a round that's stuck in an AR chamber. They have NEVER heard of the term "Mortaring" in relationship to an AR. I'm assuming you in your godlike existence has, right?

I discussed this idea with somebody else who I value their opinions, maybe they were a LEO friend, maybe they were not.

This is all about TRIGGER CONTROL.. TRIGGER CONTROL. Average gun owners (myself included) do not do good under stress, if the LEO's dont, how are we expected to?

Let's examine for a minute a few videos:

LMGTFY

Please, a 10/22 is not used as a self defense firearm, this thread is about shotguns. Please see your discredited account above in the four videos and link shared.

Remember, Michael Strickland had 'average gun owners' on the jury who thought they should be used for hunting and then promptly locked up once home and never taken out unless it's for hunting. Welcome to your non-average gun owner. I shoot at a minimum 2-3 hundred rounds per month between rifle, pistol and shotgun. I have family and friends who fall into the average gun owner category. My experience is called out as I see it. If you don't like my opinion... block me.

I'm done with this discussion, it's clear you have zero experience in people who are average gun owners who think shooting a box of two a year is enough.

Just as a way to help you two find some common ground, you do know they combined ARs and shotguns, so you can have the best of both worlds. And for those prefer AKs, well they make those in shotgun too.

In case Santa and all his elves make a breach on the wrong night. 1110151703.jpg

Cool. Looks like a M60 shotgun.
SRM1216 These are 16+1 semi-auto, or full burst for mil/LE. Mine doesn't have the fun switch as I don't have a "business" need, but it still knocks pieces off of pieces where clays get involved. Nice SHTF device if gang wrangling ever becomes a thing. Would have been nice equipment in the corps for breaching expansive buildings...It's a keeper.

Because I live in the city now and I like my neighbors, my list is,
Keltec KSG
HK FP6 sbs 12GA
Mossberg 20 GA
Taurus judge
I sold my Wilson Combat 870 professional, it was just too damn heavy!

SRM1216 These are 16+1 semi-auto, or full burst for mil/LE. Mine doesn't have the fun switch as I don't have a "business" need, but it still knocks pieces off of pieces where clays get involved. Nice SHTF device if gang wrangling ever becomes a thing. Would have been nice equipment in the corps for breaching expansive buildings...It's a keeper.

What's an average price for something like that?

What's an average price for something like that?
$2000-2500 average retail. SRM arms has tactical packages, slings, butt pads, breachers, sights, spare mags that can all affect total price. I sold one to another veteran essentially at cost when I had an FFL that I acquired from the manufacturer on sale for $1850 I think. Check Gunbroker...they always seem to be within a few dollars of eachother depending on what deals authorized vendors can pass on. Having caught up with demand, and adjusted for new frame colors, most listings should reflect the going trend. I've been out of the FFL side a couple years now; but anything over 2K I'd be ready to haggle as there should be wiggle room. Hope this helps.

$2000-2500 average retail. SRM arms has tactical packages, slings, butt pads, breachers, sights, spare mags that can all affect total price. I sold one to another veteran essentially at cost when I had an FFL that I acquired from the manufacturer on sale for $1850 I think. Check Gunbroker...they always seem to be within a few dollars of eachother depending on what deals authorized vendors can pass on. Having caught up with demand, and adjusted for new frame colors, most listings should reflect the going trend. I've been out of the FFL side a couple years now; but anything over 2K I'd be ready to haggle as there should be wiggle room. Hope this helps.

Man I wish that were anywhere near my price range in the next 5 years or more:oops:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top