JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
DgruE60.gif

Why would you have a shotgun/rifle for self defense with an empty chamber? Might as well not have the magazine inserted/loaded as well. If you need a shotgun/rifle right now, you need it RIGHT NOW. Loaded and one in the chamber with safety on. Leave safety on right up to the moment of bringing from ready to shooting position. It should happen about the same time your booger hook moves from the frame to inside the trigger guard, which is after you have identified a threat, and decided to engage. Trying to charge your shotgun/rifle and defend yourself while someone is already trying to punch your ticket is a losing proposition.

As far as mounting system via hooks... If you are looking for a non secure but accessable way of storing your weapon, using a setup where the method of securing your weapon that can move around such as an S hook is asking for your weapon to get hung up when you need it most.

If you want to have a weapon easily accessible and you don't care about unauthorized access, at least make the mounting solution secure such that the only movable let parts in your 'roll-out' commando action is only your weapon and nothing else.

Seriously, just lean it up against your bed or lay it down on the floor under the bed in an orientation that you know you can access it the same way every time. Lock it up when you aren't around.

Shotguns can and will discharge if knocked over, I keep mine upright with one ready to chamber but a safety won't keep one from falling and going off.

Its the only kind of firearm I don't keep loaded.

Just some things to consider :

1) How someone chooses to keep their home defense gun , is best left up to each individual.
Since no one knows their business or situation better than themselves.

2) What works in one home and for one household , may not in another.

3) No one likes to have their ideas or experiences ridiculed , so respectfully disagree and offer up an alternative.
This should be a easy concept to follow....apparently it ain't.
Andy

Not all of the responses were respectful or very excellent in their commentary.
You of course , are free to disagree and find humor in any of the posts here...I did not.

Be that as it may...
My first two points in post #24 are still valid and of importance.
Andy

Not all of the responses were respectful or very excellent in their commentary.
You of course , are free to disagree and find humor in any of the posts here...I did not.

Be that as it may...
My first two points in post #24 are still valid and of importance.
Andy

Wait.... are you saying S-hooks hitting the fan wasn't EXCELLENT?! :eek:

That was one of my better spontaneous posts! o_O

;):D

OP, thanks for the tip. Take care.

My MT husband sold his last shotgun (Remington 870 Marine Magnum - 12 gauge.) several years ago. So far, he has not bought another shotgun. He sold several other shotguns in various brands and gauges many years ago too.

I never owned a shotgun. My late husband never owned a shotgun.

I have only shot a few shotguns a few times in my life too.

With that said... my husband keeps his Glock pistol (45acp) close to him when he is sleeping. On a sturdy surface close to his breathing machine. I keep a rifle handy since I no longer shoot, own or carry handguns of any type.

BOTH of us have knives close to our beds. (Around the house too.) Heck, I have a sweet Sog 'hawk and a sweet Estwing axe in my Stickley oak chest in the bedroom too! The main - major knife brands for me are Buck (Made in Idaho.) and Ka-Bar (Made in New York.). I have a few other brands too.

The larger bladed knives are the main ones kept openly in the house for ME. Bowie style or a famous, classic military style. Fixed blade knives only for me since that is ALL I use due to my hand issues.

My MT husband uses and keeps BOTH styles of knives handy for himself. Fixed AND pocket/folding knives PLUS tool kits like Leatherman, etc.

My MT husband only uses reading glasses. I have worn Rx eyeglasses since I was 5 years old. Near sighted!

My MT husband has excellent night vision too. I do not have great night vision and I have worn bi-focals since I was in my 40's.

Safety concerns? Having your house looking lived in with or without sweet German Shepherd dogs or if you have another dog or dogs.

I kept lights on in various rooms in my former large house - 2 floors plus a full basement that we never really used, back east, and I do this now in a much smaller one floor house that I built here in MT.

I have slept with a light on almost all of my life. I slept with a light on in another room that shown into a bedroom or kept a light on in the bedroom too. I did this as a military wife when my late husband was gone, as a young bride and as a middle aged lady. I did this as a widow.

My MT husband HATES to try to go to sleep with a light on, with a radio on or boob tube on or if I am reading in bed. So I compromised with HIM when we got married. I respected his sleeping issues AND his breathing machine. I do NOT like it but I respect his sleeping issues even IF I think that it is ODD that he never reads in bed with a light on! LOL

My lights and sounds NEVER bothered my late husband, not for over 30 plus years, but they do BOTHER my MT husband when he is trying to SLEEP. Plus my MT husband always had a high stress 24/7 work schedule for his ENTIRE LIFE.

The only thing that my late husband did NOT want to hear or listen to LATE at night and most of the time during his FINAL stages of cancer and dying was the BS on the freaking news! He wanted peace from all of that crapola.

Some people like the DARK so the bad guy or a gang (Home invasion!) do not see them but they can see the perps. They have stuff on their guns or a flashlight on them so they can see the bad guys.

We do not have those things on our firearms. My husband and I use iron sights. (He does have a few scopes on a few hunting rifles but he does use iron sights on a few OTHER hunting rifles too.)

What works for ME and my eyes may not work for someone else. That goes for what my husband uses too. What works for HIM in some of his firearms do not work for me especially now not just when I was younger.

I am more of a point shooter too. As a Newbie and as I aged. I never realized that I was one until my late husband, our military and LE friends and even my MT husband told me this. Some other guys (Old shooters.) who were friends of mine told me this too. I used to shoot more handguns than rifles too. So what works for ME now (Or in the past.) may not work for someone else. I was point shooting the most as a Newbie with my 'perp paper targets' as I used to call them.

OP, thanks again.

Old Lady Cate who keeps a light on in the front (LR or den.) and back of her house (Kitchen.) at night.

Last Edited:
I say, move to a better neighborhood!

I hate to say this but I am dead serious.

Back east in so called peaceful territory, in farm/lake country - Great Lakes region, 2.5 miles from a small village in the early 70's... not just in THIS day and age where the crazies and criminals are going more into rural and remote areas and small towns and NOT just in the suburbs or 'cities' ACROSS this country... sigh... dung happens!

BAD things happen to GOOD people ALL OF THE TIME!

LOOK at the nice CT home invasion where the doctor's wife and daughter were murdered and many other stories in NICE areas - rural, suburban, small town, small city and large city.
I could name a BUNCH of them off hand but I will not due to people who HATE to even SEE or read long posts even if they could IGNORE them. LOL

I could NAME THEM in rural MT and ID too. Especially since I moved out west due to being amazed at seeing/reading and hearing about them too. Murders and some were by LOCAL or out of state American Citizens and some were made by Illegal Aliens or people here legally working with a Green Card or Visa.

Heck in THIS Montana college town, the criminals cut up a body (Or 2 of them? ONE for sure.) and put the body in a barrel with ACID in a basement to destroy evidence. They had a witness and discovered all of this sicko crapola. NO s - not that many years ago.

The two bad guys = one man and one young woman who LOOKED 'sweet' as a young nice woman (NOT!) and the dumb @@@ court system gave them life in jail and NO death sentence. One witness told the story and the bad murderers came out with the truth. One other murder attempt was made towards one or more people if my memory serves me right. Shootings.

Back to my original thought now.

Early 70's... Attempted home invasions, ATTEMPTED robberies, and bad guys attack or try to break into homes in VERY NICE areas including in very rural, solidly R, VERY conservative, uh huh, so called peaceful areas in Bum F E! Former state, former county, former township and my former home that I built with my late husband in the country after his Nam-around the world USN time. HIS home state since 1953 when he came over legally from a WW2 - war torn country. He was 5 years older than me.

Newly built, large, brick house with a breezeway, with a 36 x 24 garage with a loft and small barn to boot. On an acre of land with farm land and woods all around. Broad daylight (Working in the city.) when no one is home and/or at night.

Crapola happens and most of the time it is a LOCAL PERSON who knows your work routine and not some outsider who just happens to want to steal or break into your home until your sweet German Shepherd nails his @@@! Been there - done that. Gone from home and at home alone too.

The bad guys HIT farm houses, barns and shops. They hit small businesses in small towns - one was a tractor place in S.R. if my memory serves me right. They knew when old ladies or farm wives 'went to town'. They were scoping out places aka casing joints and ONE MAN was caught for sure due to some of my own evidence when the Sheriff's Department (We were friends with the deputy on duty from our Volunteer FD/EMT.) came out to my house and LOOKED at my breezeway and a spilled coffee can with clothespins with blood on the CAN. Other blood spatters were all over including on the breezeway CEILING and a kicked screen door - damage there when he existed from the breezeway to the NORTH side of the house. (This was before we got the entire breezeway done AND the fence for the GS dog.) I showed our friend, the deputy, some other things that did not add up and made him collect evidence. BLOOD type matched. Finger prints? I guess so. MY female GS dog BIT the attempted robber aka criminal too. He did NOT go to an ER but when he was found - it was EASY TO SEE according to another deputy friend and detective. The one man aka perp watched and knew work schedules of one or more people especially IF some people did not have children at home (We never had children.) but that was NOT always the case. I do not know about the other bad guys but other NEW homes were hit hard and most of them did not have a EXTREMELY protective, female German Shepherd like mine was or they had some super friendly dog that would show a burglar where the sterling silver was hid. Beats me there.

When I moved out west after my late husband died - farmers back there (And all over the country.) started to have BIG issues with some LOCAL country people and some outsiders stealing or TRYING TO STEAL fuel from them too. Apparently some of the crapola was going on even before my late husband died too. But as time went on even after I moved away... it got to be a big issue with local farmers back there. IT was in the local news back there and on nationwide news too. Some of the criminals stole fuel to make dope or they stole fuel due to the cost of fuel.

I know another farm area home where the LOCALS stole guns from my co-worker's home. Another township - same county. One time theft with GUNS. ALL rifles and shotguns. Family guns. Old and newer ones. ALL of them were stolen. They did not find a hidden second handgun. Second time theft was around Christmas time. Their big old Lab did ZERO and they think that the DOG knew the thief or thieves. The same COUNTY that I lived in too. BUT the deputies did NOT take finger prints (No s!) and do any more follow ups with my co-worker friend. The second theft around Christmas time was done RIGHT BEFORE, apparently, I dropped her off from our work place. I saw that she got in the house safely since it was DARK OUTSIDE, I backed around close to her woods on one side and drove home. Her one son was home and left for something so the THEFT TOOK PLACE after he left the house (Christmas tree presents - expensive too!) and BEFORE I dropped her off. The other son was at the state capitol at a university. Her husband worked for Western Electric that turned into ATT and he traveled a LOT and was away most of the week too.

Old Lady Cate

Last Edited:
Yup.....I've even fought it out with Godzilla (in my dreams).

The real question is who won.....

OP Thanks for the info. Both my wife and I keep a handgun within arms reach of our sleeping spots. I have considered a scatter gun but didn't really figure how (other than leaning it against the wall) to keep it stowed. Leaning against the wall always has me fearing coming home to someone already in my house and them now having my long gun to use against me because it was out in the open. I'd rather keep it out of view and your idea is interesting, because when the bed is made up, the blankets should cover it up enough. I think I'll give it a shot (see what I did there? :s0140:). My joints ache enough when I get out of bed I might be better using @Stomper's bear crawl or Trunk Monkey method though as your roll method would cause enough popping and cracking to alert the intruder to my presence.... :)

I like the idea of rolling out of bed and being at the ready when I hit the floor however there will be a big thud followed by a groan because I'm fat, old and sleep on a bed with drawers under it. Next anyone remember the old campfire ghost story where the old man shoots his big toe off because the toenail was reflecting the moon light and looked like an eye to him? Well I sleep with my feet towards the door and I don't want to be that guy.

Some of the criminals stole fuel to make dope or they stole fuel due to the cost of fuel.

Actually, what they steal for dope isn't fuel. It's anhydrous ammonia, which is used in the production of meth.
"Meth cooks use anhydrous ammonia in the place of red phosphorus to extract from ephedrine by way of a chemical reaction when mixed with lithium (usually via battery innards)."
Anhydrous ammonia is extremely dangerous and can cause death on contact with lung tissue.

Some of the criminals stole fuel to make dope or they stole fuel due to the cost of fuel.

Actually, what they steal for dope isn't fuel. It's anhydrous ammonia, which is used in the production of meth.
"Meth cooks use anhydrous ammonia in the place of red phosphorus to extract from ephedrine by way of a chemical reaction when mixed with lithium (usually via battery innards)."
Anhydrous ammonia is extremely dangerous and can cause death on contact with lung tissue.

Alllllriiiighty then..... thanks for the chemistry lesson, Heisenberg?! :s0131:

3F6405D4-9AD1-45F4-B753-B9FD0624737E.png

I like the idea of rolling out of bed and being at the ready when I hit the floor however there will be a big thud followed by a groan because I'm fat, old and sleep on a bed with drawers under it. Next anyone remember the old campfire ghost story where the old man shoots his big toe off because the toenail was reflecting the moon light and looked like an eye to him? Well I sleep with my feet towards the door and I don't want to be that guy.

This is (really) my right-side big toe (BTW- the left side matches)... I named him "Sergeant Hulka".

53FC69AF-7029-482A-A5E7-53A2E4010420.jpeg

If only I had a nickel for every Army private's arse it was planted in..... and NO, I did NOT have albino ape thumbs graphed onto my feet after a lawnmower accident as a child!!

:s0118:

But I CAN pick up loose change from the floor with it! ;):D

This is (really) my right-side big toe (BTW- the left side matches)... I named him "Sergeant Hulka".

View attachment 742011

If only I had a nickel for every Army private's arse it was planted in..... and NO, I did NOT have albino ape thumbs graphed onto my feet after a lawnmower accident as a child!!

:s0118:

But I CAN pick up loose change from the floor with it! ;):D
You know , that if you ever sell a rifle or shotgun , you will need to get those feet into the photo...:eek: :D
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top