JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What do you think of the Magpul D60 for use in a home defense AR-15? I have one and it seems pretty reliable, I've also shot it and the weight isn't too bad either. Do you think its a viable choice or should I stick with the standard 30 round magazines?

What do you think of the Magpul D60 for use in a home defense AR-15? I have one and it seems pretty reliable, I've also shot it and the weight isn't too bad either. Do you think its a viable choice or should I stick with the standard 30 round magazines?

I think two 30's coupled together beat a 60 in the sense that if you experience a magazine related problem, you just switch, however, in all reality, I think 30 is already more than you'll ever need for home defense, but your more than welcome to do you. Freedom on! I prefer the coupled 30 to the D60 based on my personal experience. The D60 hasn't been flawless in every rifle I have tried whereas the 30 pmags have.

Call me crazy but isn't the point of an AR to have a lightweight, high cap, mobile weapon? Hanging a heavy, big arse drum off the bottom takes away a lot of those advantages. If you want to pretend you have a LMG and shoot from a bipod, that's where the drum comes in

Call me crazy but isn't the point of an AR to have a lightweight, high cap, mobile weapon? Hanging a heavy, big arse drum off the bottom takes away a lot of those advantages. If you want to pretend you have a LMG and shoot from a bipod, that's where the drum comes in

The Marines didnt get that memo

They totally mess with the balance of the weapon IMO. I don't really care for the 40 mags either, same goes for Beta C-Mags. The 20 and 30 rounders are just right.

I guess if your're on a bipod or tripod in a more or less stationary position they are OK, but there are better options for that.

I'm well aware of the phrase, "Expect the unexpected.", but I see posts like this and I'm seriously scratching my head and wondering what the OP is expecting.

Drums are great range toys,but I'd never rely on a drum for defensive needs. Standard magazines have less to go wrong.
Also in the confines of home a drum is especially cumbersome, I'd stick with 20 round or 30 round mags.

60 rounds for home defense is way over kill. If you can't take out the bad guy that is threatening your life with a round or 2 you need more training.

If you're talking about some crazy mafia amount of people coming at you I guess I could see a 60 rounder making sense but would prefer to have 2 of the 30 rounders personally.

The old "if you can't take care of the problem with X number of rounds or less, then you are doing something wrong" idiom?

You never know when you might encounter someone like this LEO did.

I have never heard of someone complaining that they had too much ammo capacity in a firefight.

I've been thinking of going to 20rnd mags for my carbine. The 30rnd ones look cool, but easier to snag on stuff, bulkier to carry, etc. If 20 pills won't get me to cover, 30 probably won't either, and I find that I the smaller mags -for me- are easier to swap.

I have changed from using 20rnd mags on my AR10 (although I still have them) to 10rnds and have been happy since it is mainly shot prone or from the bench.

Overall, I think other than providing suppression fire (which I doubt will ever be an issue for me, a non-operational non-operator operating non-operationally, in a non operational environment), there is little need for really large magazines.

That being said...while I hate loading it, my 75rnd drum mag for my MAK90 if a hoot to shoot!

It seems like overkill, I'd rather have less weight, and I don't like what they do to the balance of the weapon. I'm also a firm believer in having a spare mag anyway in case you have a mag issue. YMMV.

I say if it fits your weapon and balance with it, yes. I have several d60s and no issues. Personally I do not like them in a tavor. My SBR is a yes, you should. Then again, I also use surefire 100s, I do not like the balance in a standard AR. They really shine in my hera stocked SBR

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top