JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In 25 words or less is Cerakoating something that can be done effectively at home (or in my shop) as a one time experiment?

I've been reading about it and it looks fairly straightforward but I would like to hear from anyone who has done it 'first time' .

I have an old Mossberg 500 I would like to do this on, maybe cut the barrel down to 18" and maybe get a poly stock for it or just sand out the wood stock (its not anything good - just 'hardwood') and stain it black and shoot some kind of a finish on it and create a 'home defense' shotgun project - BUT the cerakoat is the primary part I would like to try and if it is something really difficult to do, or a PITA I may pass on this.

Please advise!

If you are set up to spray paint without dust getting all over you could be successful at home doing it. Consider if you want to bake it or air dry. Baking is a little more durable from what I understand but your house will likely smell from it. :)

I have a few minutes between colors so here it is in a nutshell-

A good spray gun is not cheap, this is not the time to be a supporter of harbor freight.

Go with the C series paint which are air cure so you don't stink up an oven meant to eat food from.

All the directions Cerakote will give you outside in person classroom time are on their website, you will want to heat the parts up prior to spraying to ensure you removed all the grease. This is in their application guide.

Practice as much as you can with little and complicated bits like bolts and nuts and recyclables like glass bottles so we can test your application is not too thick to thread the nuts or too thin you can see a change in the pattern as you twist the bottle around in your hands under decent lighting.

Don't be incredibly hard on your handiwork, others will gladly fill in for that role.

What is the temp required to cure the heat cure type of paint? My question is could I potentially make a simple wire 'rack' and set the parts on top of my shop woodstove to cure?
No, the heat needs to be even around the part.

I used to have an old oven in my shop just for doing this stuff. If you're getting into it and think you'll do a bunch, I got an old working oven off craigslist for $25. It was gorgeous '70's green and everything!

I have a few minutes between colors so here it is in a nutshell-

A good spray gun is not cheap, this is not the time to be a supporter of harbor freight.

Go with the C series paint which are air cure so you don't stink up an oven meant to eat food from.

All the directions Cerakote will give you outside in person classroom time are on their website, you will want to heat the parts up prior to spraying to ensure you removed all the grease. This is in their application guide.

Practice as much as you can with little and complicated bits like bolts and nuts and recyclables like glass bottles so we can test your application is not too thick to thread the nuts or too thin you can see a change in the pattern as you twist the bottle around in your hands under decent lighting.

Don't be incredibly hard on your handiwork, others will gladly fill in for that role.
What is the temp required to cure the heat cure type of paint? My question is could I potentially make a simple wire 'rack' and set the parts on top of my shop woodstove to cure?
250 to 300 degrees Fahrenheit

Some aluminum A/C ducting and a heat gun works as an oven.

I used to hang guns slathered in cosmoline in a metal trash can with a 1000w light right on top of it to melt it all off.

You bet!

F4227268-DEEA-4060-87E1-4D5F3E8FEC78.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top