JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We are bigtime canners here. My family always canned, my inlaws do, everyone does. Its high time to be thinking about food self sufficiency on every level. Besides, even if you never use it as a survival skill its damn good stuff to know. Nothing better than canned salmon or deer.

^^^^ Wow! Canned venison in brown gravy is the best! I was raised on it! Nothing that you can buy is ever as good as what you have hunted or grown and canned. Taste and nutrition! You can branch out to things like pickling, jams and jellys,etc. My favorites! A friend hunts Chantrells and then pickles them. Sweet, Baby!!!
To those who have never canned, it is neither difficult or dangerous. It's a science and the formulas were figured out generations ago.

It's a science and the formulas were figured out generations ago.

Well, there a few differences from the recipes and techiques from years back, such as some of the packing methods being considered unsafe now, and that an acid, (vinegar, lemon juice, etc.) being needed to bring up the acidity of water bath canned foods containing tomatos, because the newer tomatos have less acid content that the tomatos of old.

But yes, I grew up on canned deer meat, and other home canned foods too.

It's hard to beat a sandwich made with canned deer meat with a little mustard and mayo...

We are bigtime canners here. My family always canned, my inlaws do, everyone does. Its high time to be thinking about food self sufficiency on every level. Besides, even if you never use it as a survival skill its damn good stuff to know. Nothing better than canned salmon or deer.

Canned Corned Beef, Canned smoked Turkey breast, canned Tuna. three more yum's......

Well, there a few differences from the recipes and techiques from years back, such as some of the packing methods being considered unsafe now, and that an acid, (vinegar, lemon juice, etc.) being needed to bring up the acidity of water bath canned foods containing tomatos, because the newer tomatos have less acid content that the tomatos
But yes, I grew up on canned deer meat, and other home canned foods too.

It's hard to beat a sandwich made with canned deer meat with a little mustard and mayo...

Wow! Really! Who knew?
Yes, that's all true. I was not suggesting going back to 1860. Just my silly way of saying the technology is old and well understood.

Wow! Really! Who knew?
Yes, that's all true. I was not suggesting going back to 1860. Just my silly way of saying the technology is old and well understood.

Yep, I'll bet that when the first canning jars came out people were pretty happy!

I just posted my "warning," because I didn't want someone here to get interested, dig out Grandmas old Ball canning book, and can something using a method that wasn't recommended anymore.

My aunt use to can bunches of stuff, both with a water bath, and with a pressure canner, I'd eat any of the pickles she made but wouldn't touch her canned deer meat mincemeat pies because she was kind of ditzy, and didn't use the proper pressure or time when pressure canning.

None of her family ever died, though.

We can tomatoes, tomato sauce, jams, jellies, pickled asparagus, apples, cherries, (we canned about 60 pounds of cherries this year,) and a few other things.

I have a pressure canner, and know how to use it, but haven't used it much.

I learned to can from my grandma and mother, I really thank them for the knowledge they passed on to me.

When Y2K was upon us, a friend asked me what he should do about preserving food, I told him to buy a bunch of jars, lids, rings, and a pressure canner just in case.

BTW, there is a good book: "Food in Jars," where the author has recipes for small batches of stuff, mostly water bath canning, but if you have small quantities of stuff, and want to learn about canning, its a great book.

How was the texture compared to just right out of the boiling pot?

King Carb meat is pretty firm, so it was great. Of course, fresh caught, right out of the pot is always better, but my grandma would add some seasoning to it and it could either be eaten as is, warmed up, turned into a spread in the blender or made into crab cakes....man, you guys are making me hungry.

My father in law got me canning Shad awhile back. Who would have thought? I mean, no one eats Shad, right? Well, we do. Not bad at all and super easy to catch by the ton in spring. Just wait till I shoot my next Mtn Lion. " Cougar, the OTHER white meat! "

My father in law got me canning Shad awhile back. Who would have thought? I mean, no one eats Shad, right? Well, we do. Not bad at all and super easy to catch by the ton in spring. Just wait till I shoot my next Mtn Lion. " Cougar, the OTHER white meat! "

Shad are delicious! Does canning soften the many bones enough to make them edible? Like smelt.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top