JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I imagine quite a few of you have some pretty solid plans. You live in a neighborhood with close friends that you trust, who are like minded in preparing for different situations. Maybe even discussed things in detail, where to link up, who does what, who brings what, etc. I however do not have this luxury. I have a couple friends who have put some extra thought into it based on some things I’ve mentioned. So here’s my situation I live in an apartment, I have acquired some essential things to be able to handle any situation. However what the heck am I supposed to do? Work a plan on my own? Try to encourage some friends to prepare a little more and come together? Or find some other like minded people and bring them dope and beer (that’s guns and ammo incase you didn’t get that :)) ? I don't see the use in living off MRE's until I can crap anymore and shooting looters as they come through the door :confused: Your ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

So I imagine quite a few of you have some pretty solid plans. You live in a neighborhood with close friends that you trust, who are like minded in preparing for different situations. Maybe even discussed things in detail, where to link up, who does what, who brings what, etc. I however do not have this luxury. I have a couple friends who have put some extra thought into it based on some things I’ve mentioned. So here’s my situation I live in an apartment, I have acquired some essential things to be able to handle any situation. However what the heck am I supposed to do? Work a plan on my own? Try to encourage some friends to prepare a little more and come together? Or find some other like minded people and bring them dope and beer (that’s guns and ammo incase you didn’t get that :)) ? I don't see the use in living off MRE's until I can crap anymore and shooting looters as they come through the door :confused: Your ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Start making friends in your neighborhood. Not sure what part of Portland you're in, but there are folks all over the city who are really interested in urban farming, food security, and preparation for other types of SHTF - peak oil, environmental disasters, and the like. They tend to be pretty nice, and have skill sets that are likely different from (but complementary) to yours.

Its all about networking and meeting people with a like mindset. Really though, for the most part plan on being on your own with no one to help. This way you are prepared for any of the many things that might come your way. And be realistic. A couple cases of MRE's and some iodine water pills aren't going to get you very far. Living in an Apt really makes things difficult. Start with preparing yourself, then work outwards from there. I know there was a preparedness group that started up down in Eugene not sure if there is one around portland. Also, the LDS church is a very valuable place for prep info. So if you have a friend that is mormon it can go a long way.

Things to do/keep in mind:

1.) you will probably not be able to convince your friends/family to prep unless they get a hard lesson in the need for it (job loss or something like that). Believe me I have been trying to get my folks and a couple of my friends to get with it for years and they just think i am nuts. Or they just plan on coming over and mooching (which we have accounted for in our plans to some degree :s0077:)
2.) Get a HAM radio and license. Lots of like minded people on there that see the value of being prepared. Its not hard to get your license, not expensive, and with a $100 hand held you can talk to people all around the metro area using repeaters.
3.) Expand your plans. If you have the basics covered, do more. Moving from 3weeks of food to 3months doesn't take a whole heck of a lot. Especially for one guy. Water can be tricky in an Apt, but don't forget about your water heater. Also cases of water at costco are cheap. I would just go buy 2 cases per month and after acouple months I had a nice supply.
4.) Be realistic. Worst problem I can see happening in this area is a natural disaster (volcano, earthquake, flooding). Odds of seeing widespread SHTF, everyman for himself is not likely.
5.) Diversify. Guns and MRE's are about 5% of what you should be doing. Security is good, but ammo does not make good eats.
6.) Make friends. One of the best things you can do is network out and find people that would be able and willing to help you out or are preppers themselves. Easier said than done, but you never know.
7.) OPSEC. Don't go around blabbering about your years worth of food and the arsenal in your closet. Keep it on the down low, and don't make a big deal about it. This is especially true in an Apt.
8.) Learn to cook using all kinds of stuff from food storage and elsewhere (foraging for example). This is one of the best things ever for prepping. Alot of folks just order up a ton of dried food all at once and never know how to cook it or never use it and let it spoil. I can tell you I can whip up some good stuff with pretty plain ingredients (again diversification is a good thing here).
9.) Skills. Its good to have a good, broad skill set. Being able to fix things, make things, smooze, whatever. Being able to have something to offer will also go a long way with other people in the event of a disaster. It can also save lives.

I know there is more, but I am rambling and I apologize. Am a bit tired. But if you need help, lemme know.

Ask simple questions that you can answer.

Where do you want to be should SHTF?

What will it take to get there?

How long can I stay with what I take there?

jj

Thanks to everyone for all the advice! I'm definitely working to fine tune my ideas and look at the bigger picture so to speak. In any shtf situation or scenarios you can never have too much information. Thanks again!

Consider yourself fortunate to only have to think and do for yourself. It makes it a lot easier on you mentally and financially easier on your budget. The more people that know about your plans the more they will talk to their so-called friends who will talk to their friends and so on and so on. If the disaster does happen, guess who will be pounding on your door in the middle of the night demanding that you help them. That's right, that nice group of like minded people that have somehow transformed themselves into a mob. Most people won't or can't accept the scenario of a disaster that could leave them out in the cold.So they won't prepare for it. But they will definitely take what you have prepared given the chance. That's human nature. My advice would be to keep quiet about what you are planning for and quietly go about making preparations to cover your own butt.

I second the network and getting to know people. This is one of the most neglected areas of survival preparations. Your odds go way up if you have additional people to work with...who you trust of course.

I know this sounds morbid, unconscionable, and heartless.. but sometimes.. more often than not, I find myself wishing that some catastrophic event would go down so that it would open the eyes of the naysayers and help teach those who are unprepared or too ignorant that they NEED to in fact BE FORCED to live in a situation that causes concern and alarm, and for them to be prepared for the worst. Have SOME means of protection, food and water at the least!

When talking to any friends or my girlfriend (The everything will be Okay mentality).
I guess I sound nuts, but what it all comes down to is examples. Show them that Governments and "Leaders" can run rampant, taking your arms and by which taking total control, that a natural disaster if anything is the most likely event to actually happen out of all "scenarios". And having at least what it takes to survive (By that I mean; food/shelter/water..etc..) isn't all that bad of an idea.

Without a harsh lesson like that, all those metropolitin, iphone using, techno savvy, liberal media trusting, pro-government control, anti-gunners won't ever learn.
Everything WONT be okay, DON'T depend fully on others or the Government for that matter, and it is up to yourself and others to be prepared.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, politically or morally.. I'm just venting a little frustration. I guess all I can do is warn those close others and try to show them the light. And for my self? To keep on being prepared.

ZA I hear ya I was one og the first Soldiers to respond to Katrina. I was never aksed to take guns I would not even if I was ordered to. But what I saw was people with no plan and despart for help and a local government paralized unable to help anyone. It opened my eyes and drastacly changed the way I look at things

I'm in a similar situation mr11b, although I'm not stuck in an apartment in the city at least (where things are sure to be the worst!). Like someone else mentioned, the advantages are not having to worry about anyone else. The disadvantage though is that it's much harder to stay on top of things by yourself...you have to sleep sometime. Keeping a low profile and not letting on that you are stockpiling food/water/etc is your best bet!

I know this sounds morbid, unconscionable, and heartless.. but sometimes.. more often than not, I find myself wishing that some catastrophic event would go down so that it would open the eyes of the naysayers and help teach those who are unprepared or too ignorant that they NEED to in fact BE FORCED to live in a situation that causes concern and alarm, and for them to be prepared for the worst. Have SOME means of protection, food and water at the least!

When talking to any friends or my girlfriend (The everything will be Okay mentality).
I guess I sound nuts, but what it all comes down to is examples. Show them that Governments and "Leaders" can run rampant, taking your arms and by which taking total control, that a natural disaster if anything is the most likely event to actually happen out of all "scenarios". And having at least what it takes to survive (By that I mean; food/shelter/water..etc..) isn't all that bad of an idea.

Without a harsh lesson like that, all those metropolitin, iphone using, techno savvy, liberal media trusting, pro-government control, anti-gunners won't ever learn.
Everything WONT be okay, DON'T depend fully on others or the Government for that matter, and it is up to yourself and others to be prepared.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, politically or morally.. I'm just venting a little frustration. I guess all I can do is warn those close others and try to show them the light. And for my self? To keep on being prepared.

Your not alone in your thinking. It's hard to live in a world full of people with thier eyes closed, knowing that even loved ones will be plowed under by thier unprepared attitude that nothing wrong will ever happen.

I take solace in the fact that Darwinism is a fact of life, not just a theory...people can choose to protect themselves, or hope others will take care of them.

Luck favors the prepared -

What gets me is we (as a society) are given multiple examples to learn from, but if you buy extra food, ammo, water etc... you are labeled. No lessons learned, go back to the instant oatmeal, debit card McDonalds drive thru, all is good... 'I got mine' attitude.

Sad.

SF-

Thats what FEMA's for jeez.

I'm in the same boat to an extent. Moved here not long ago and have no family out here.

As a side note to prepping, here are a few articles to think about and a few words of summary by me:

http://freedominourtime.blogspot.com/2010/03/grand-distractions.html

- Hypothesizes that the potential Neo-Nazi land buy was a staged event in order to keep people's minds off the BLM sage grouse ruling. Which is a huge government land grab and grab of production control.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=17826

- A trend analysis that the PTB are moving from a manipulation/control mechanism of production in the previous advancing credit cycle to one geared toward control of necessary consumption in this declining cycle. This means controls over all energy, food and water, and all world currencies, by simultaneous collapse of all world currencies. And the push for a new Bretton Woods like agreement through the IMF for a carbon currency, based on consumption controls and derivatives.

How does this fit in with prep? If you plan to bug out and live off the land, things may not work out as you planned. Especially if BLM decides to clear or alter natural resources. Or just find new creative ways to keep you from getting to them. I would also expect a lot of new Rangers to be hired, as a jobs program of course, to patrol lands to keep people off them.

It may also be a lot harder to move around and get where you need to go, regardless if there is panic or not. It will cost a lot more for food in order to prep. Natural/Organic farmers are under attack. They are being choked with new regulations and fees as their profits are declining due to less public sales. Getting good, non factory food will become harder and costlier.

Energy will get even more expensive. Especially if a cap'n'trade like legislation goes through some how or gets back-doored. It will become essential to find ways of making your own energy, like diesel. And have access to energy for heating and cooking, like wood and LPG reserves.

Water prices will increase. This is already happening with the PDX contamination fiasco. Expect to see more regulations near and around Bull Run. More fees on water bills to pay for supposedly "needed" water infrastructure (think containment covers).

Of course, this all applies to bugging in as well. And, if there is any doubts about connections between the politicians and their motives for all this, you can look at this article and look at the board of directors for the Joyce Foundation as well as their issues.

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/9629
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_Foundation

It's good to step back and look at long term trends. Best to concentrate on a variety of multiple scenarios but always ensuring you have control of food, water, shelter and movement. And if your alone, get a dog or two. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top