JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure if this is the appropriate section, but since this is my hiking/hunting sidearm for self defense I am putting it here. I carry a .357 while out in the woods. I recently accuired a 6"GP100 and LOVE IT. I wear this at 3 O'clock. Been hunting and have been hiking with it for a couple of months. My problem is that after just a few miles my hip starts killing me. I bagged a hunt this morning because it was causing me so much grief. I was so discouraged when I returned home that I put the s.o.b in the classifieds. As much as I love the gun, it is not practical for me to keep it around collecting dust. I have tried sliding it to 1/2 0'clock without any relief. I have looked up info on the internets for solutions. Most forums I have found are police forums and it sounds like the fix is to just suck it up and deal with it. A chest rig would interfere with my bino harness. I am curious if anyone here has a fix before I send it on its way

Wear a wide but not thick belt and the holster loops should not dig into your hip either.
Pants, underwear, shirt, belt and holster can all add up to pain if it all focusses on the wrong spot.
Once upon a time I packed around a rig that probably weighed 30 pounds.. I was pretty skinny and it caused quite a bit of pain for the first few weeks but my body grew accustomed to it.

Get a "Tanker" style holster. The holster sits in a loop allowing you to carry as high or low as you like. When backpacking, I carried about over my sternum. Without the pack, I carried a little over my belt on the left side of my abdomen. Gun was readily accessible at either location. YMMV. But it was very convenient for me.

I'm a little fuzzy on the exact problem. Does the hip belt from your pack rub/press the gun into your hip or does simply wearing a hip holster start to hurt after a few hours/miles?

Would a drop leg rig solve your problem? Or is it a holster issue and a different holster would solve the problem?

Last Edited:
Suspenders. I found the glory of wearing suspenders and a holster simultaneously. You see, I have no butt, and in order to keep any weight attached to my belt, it must be sinched tighter than nun's bung hole.

With suspenders on, you can have your belt/pants as loose as you please. :cool:

My first thought would be that it's a holster/belt issue. I've been carrying a S&W Model 29 at 3 o'clock every day for the past 35+ years and don't have any issues with discomfort.

I wear a 2" leather belt and the holster is a pancake type.

20191006_174932.jpg

The position of the beltloops put the cylinder pretty much right on the belt line and the width of the belt prevents any movement.

Try a guides choice chest holster and set it up so it is low and to the side of the bingo harness. Or try a drop leg set up or get a pancake style leather holster on a wide soft/flexible belt. I've done all three at times and it seems most othe other guys here have had success with at least one of these methods.

I carry a Glock 40MOS (6" barrel, 15+1 capacity) with a spare loaded mag (sometimes) in a Diamond D Alaskan chest rig. I adjusted it to ride low on the left side of my abdomen. I carry a pair of Nikon Monarch 7 10x42 binos, and a backpack all at the same time. I sometimes carry bear spray on the right side, on one of the straps for the holster. It takes some getting used to, and tightly cinched straps, but it works.

There are options for this....

1) you have to get a pack with a thin/minimalist hip belt, then just place the belt over the holster... the pack hip belt will ride a little high on that side but will work in warmer weather. If you need a jacket on then I just put the jacket over the holster and put the pack on with the hip belt over the holster... this latter way is not ideal but I cant figure a better way in colder jacket weather.
2) many hunting pack belts have attachments for attaching a pistol holster. I haven't used one of these.... not totally against the idea but a) you have to find a compatible holster and b) im not a fan of off body carry
3) you'd have to use a drop leg holster.....

I carry a G20 and I had a similar issue with my hips hurting, I found that like other's have said I was blessed with frog booty and I have to over tighten my belt to keep my pants up. Yesterday I went out and put my pistol on my pack waist strap and had no issues hiking 7 miles

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top