JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I bought a leather holster for my SA HELLCAT. I prefer leather and a thumb break. At the time, there weren't alot of options. J&J on EBay came out with the model that I prefer. A OWB that takes up less space on the belt. Black. Thumb break.

Anyhow, I order up this $40 holster. Took 1 1/2 wks but thats cool. Sooner than they said. Slap it on the Hanks Belt and slam el pistola in ... fits good!

This is my EDC and I do CED.

So, after a couple of weeks, I notice that the finish on the slide is wearing right where the back of the snap rides.

1.jpg

Last Edited:
After thinking about it, came up with an idea.

I had some felt pads for furniture...

I stuck 1 on and it seemed to fit. The tan color didn't. Grabbed a sharpie and tried that. Ya ... that works.

4.jpg

Carry guns are going to get finish wear. Thumb breaks are notorious for it. The felt pad could well exacerbate the issue, as felt will retain debris moreso than leather does. You're gonna want to check it often and probably replace it once in a while, or you'll wind up with different wear as the dirt / sand / debris in the felt will act like sand paper.

Its been on for a week with no wear.

Man, everybody's a critic.:rolleyes:

No, I just used to carry in leather retention holsters, and had finish wear issues. I wore the oxide finish off the side of a Glock carrying in a duty holster with a thumb break snap, where the snap rubbed on the gun. Leather and fabric holds dirt more than plastic holsters. Seems like the harder material would be more scratch prone, but I get less holster wear from kydex, which is easier to keep clean. Leather is cool, but just takes more care and maintenance. If I remember right, you live in an area where sand / dust may be more common than up here in the PNW?

Get some of this self adhesive felt in black from joanns. I had to do that on my 1911 holster, the snap on the inside scratched the grip like crazy. Cut some of the felt, stuck it on and its perfect!

I EDC a Gen 5 G45 and the finish on these Gen 5's holds up AMAZINGLY well to holster wear. But then again, I couldn't care less if it gets wear. My Gen 4 G26 that I EDC'd for several years looked like it had been through hell. Still shot just fine.

Yeah, I've never liked snaps on holsters. I've seen some where the back side of a snap was covered over with a thin layer of leather glued on.

Years ago, I had a Red Chinese Army holster made for their version of the Tokarev. Type 54, I think it was called. This holster had a lining of blue corduroy. You wouldn't want to get it wet, but for protecting the finish it was good.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top