JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm curious as to what requirements the rest of the membership have for their carry holsters - talking concealed carry here, not open carry (unless you use the same holsters for both)

For me - I have a small list.

- must be rigid without the gun in it, especially IWB holsters. I should be able to reholster one handed, and a soft, squishy holster does not allow this easily.

- must completely cover the trigger and not allow crap into the trigger guard with the gun seated

- must not come off body easily. I used to be a huge paddle holster fan, but there are only two paddles out there that I've used that consistently held the holster in place on a firm, fast draw - oddly enough they were teh cheapest holsters I could find - Uncle Mike's "Kydex" (which are not actual kydex) and Fobus. The Uncle Mike's holsters have an adjustable hook that actually really grabs your pants / belt - I've never had one of their paddles come out. The fobus, between the rubberized backing and the shape, which basically grabs tight to the belt really sticks. Paddles from Safariland, Comp-Tac, Blade Tech, and Blackhawk all pull out. Safariland was the worst, and it was the most expensive holster. :eek: These days - I prefer soft loops with one-way pull the dot type snaps. Super secure, just as speedy on and off as a paddle. Further - I hate j-hooks and clips on holsters with a passion, because they don't stay.

I make most of my holsters these days, and I like tinkering with designs to see if I can improve on them. I've settled on a basic design that works very well for me, conceals well, is comfortable to wear all day, and its gone through some revisions over the years. I do appreciate some of the off-the-shelf gear though. For a factory holster, the Blade Tech Eclipse is a good convertable IWB/OWB holster - with some modification. In IWB mode it comes with a pair of clips/hooks that suuuuuuuuck. Have had the gun/holster pop off the belt a number of times just from sitting in the car. That is no bueno. I modified the holster by drilling a couple extra holes, and use some Raven tuck-struts, and it became a very good IWB/AIWB holster. It's a good left/right convertable too, because the holster body has no curve to it, yet remains very comfy. Since I'm a righty, I shaved down the outboard / right side sweat guard, and I typically use it in it's OWB mode. It hugs VERY tight to the body.

Another set of holsters I like are the Safariland ALS and SLS - these can be had in concealment versions plus duty (police/security) holsters. The ALS are nice, because its a natural motion to unlock the holster and draw it. The SLS hoods are likewise easier to use than a thumb break when you get the hang of them. The entry level to these are the "Pro-Fit" universal fit holsters, which actually work really well. I have one of the full size versions and it worked well with a Glock 17, an M&P 9, a CZ-75, and currently, because I don't have any other holsters for it - the Kimber 1911 I just inherited. It doesn't fit the gun as snugly as a purpose-built holster, but for the typical guns, they fit well without rattle or play.

I appreciate decent leather holsters for some aspects, but leather doesn't work for my daily carry needs. Between sweat, grease, rain, acid, and sometimes being down on the ground - leather holsters just got too beat up for my needs. If I'm not working, and don't care about concealing as much, the Galco FLETCH is my favorite off the shelf leather holster. I've had a Kramer before too that was alright, but it was softer than the Galco and for the money, I'd go Galco every time. DeSantis leather goods are also good to go. Nice and stiff, and their IWB had reinforced mouths that didn't collapse. But typically anymore, I use kydex. It takes a beating, its waterproof, acid proof, blood proof, sweat proof, and my oldest kydex gear still looks pretty good after years of heavy use and abuse. Surface scratches in kydex don't look nearly as bad, or stand out as much as scuffs and scratches in good leather.

So, TL:DR What are your favorite holsters and features, and what are your must-haves in a carry holster?

When we were kids, my brother brought his new Ruger MK1 heavy target barrel 7" camping/hunting.. without a holster.
He sewed one there out of a blue jeans leg but that hook front sight and me just laughed at him.
What a maroon.

When we were kids, my brother brought his new Ruger MK1 heavy target barrel 7" camping/hunting.. without a holster.
He sewed one there out of a blue jeans leg but that hook front sight and me just laughed at him.
What a maroon.

Well, He could've carried inverted, hooking the front sight to his belt. Sort of an upside down Mexican carry, or maybe one could call it Maverick carry, being inverted and all.

I favor leather IWB open-top, vertical clip-on holsters for concealed carry when dressing casually. I carry either an S&W 3953 in a Bucheimer-Clark, an S&W 4053 in a Cebeci Arms, or an S&W CS40 in a Bianchi 100 Professional just in front of my hip bone (2 o'clock). I carry a Walther PPS40 in a leather convertible IWB/OWB Falco rig, mostly IWB, at 4 o'clock for those rare occasions I wear a suit or sport coat.

My holster problem was finding one for a relatively obscure pistol. Finding after market accoutrements for a Gen 1 Steyr S9 is like looking for speed parts for a 289 Studebaker. I finally got one from Craft Holsters that is satisfactory. I like leather, and I'm not placing any ugly demands on it so it works for me. It was fitted so tight that it took at least a week-10 days to wear in enough to fasten the snap without taking it off of the belt. With a loose fitting outer shirt it CCs quite nicely.

What a maroon.

You catch the movie Donnie Brasco? The agent it was based on wrote a book later, talked about none of the mobsters ever using a holster. Told a pretty amusing story about one guy who had his wife sew a half assed holster in a pair of pants, ended up having his pistol wind up in the toilet while they were all hanging out.

As for my own requirements, rigid with no straps. Was holstering a Glock (off body, thank god) and not paying attention one time, one end of the strap ended up in the guard, and yep...only unintentional bang I've ever had. My fault, of course, but that's when I went open top permanently.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top