JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Kydex or leather but between those it depends. Must be molded specifically to the gun model, those one-size-fits-all holsters always suck.

If I am going to carry OWB I don't particularly care. If I am going to carry IWB I want leather against my body. It conforms to your body as you wear it in and is a lot more comfortable to me at least. Combo holsters like the crossbreed supertuck are great too as long as it is leather against my body.

Also a good thing to remember is that a holster is only as good as the belt supporting it. I like Galco for a very good stiff thick leather gun belt that looks okay with slacks and the Ares Ranger belt made of scuba webbing for the shootin' range and everywhere I'm not wearing slacks.

I like my Mernickle PS6-SA for my Blackhawks, especially when riding horses. Keeps the gun up high so you don't have to fuss with it. Makes concealed carry easy with a big hogleg. I find leather to be more durable than nylon.

For open carry in the field, I prefer a leather holster in the "Tom Threepersons" style with a retention strap. For me this style rides high, keeps my gun in place and makes it easy to get if needed. Andy

Crossbreed Supertuck IWB, "SteelClip" belt clips, Combat Cut, Cow Leather (Horse Optional), Black, Right Hand Side, between 2-4 O'Clock depending on pants/shirt/activity.

Sig Sauer P229 9mm SAS Gen 2
6'0, 175 lbs, 34" Waist, 5.11 Nylon TDU 1.75" Belt

Why? Conceals very well, without sacrficing comfort.

For concealed carry I use both a Galco Jackass shoulder rig, and a Kramer IWB #3 belt holster. I like leather, and prefer it to the modern synthetics, but there's no denying that the latter are very fast and secure, so I use a Blade-Tech holster for competition. Wanting something that combines the speed of "competition" holsters, with the "soul" of leather, I've ordered a racier leather rig from Cedar Ridge Saddlery, of Arizona.

Milt Sparks VMII IWB Horsehide.

Why?

1) I can wear it all day with little discomfort
2) You get what you pay for...a very well made holster that will hold up
3) Made in the USA
4) Outstanding resale value (sometimes more than what you paid for it seeing as there is a 6-8mo wait for new orders)

I am not a big fan of kydex (maybe for the same reason I am not a fan of Glocks?..can't quite put my finger on it). I have tried many leather holsters (both cheap and expensive) and come back to the Milt Sparks VMII (now my first choice). They are costly but well worth it to me.

Thanks and good luck with finding the right one for you!

Milt Sparks VMII IWB Horsehide.

Why?

1) I can wear it all day with little discomfort
2) You get what you pay for...a very well made holster that will hold up
3) Made in the USA
4) Outstanding resale value (sometimes more than what you paid for it seeing as there is a 6-8mo wait for new orders)

I am not a big fan of kydex (maybe for the same reason I am not a fan of Glocks?..can't quite put my finger on it). I have tried many leather holsters (both cheap and expensive) and come back to the Milt Sparks VMII (now my first choice). They are costly but well worth it to me.

Thanks and good luck with finding the right one for you!

+1 on all that. :s0155:

Been carrying for over 30 years..tried just about all of 'em.. I could never find an IWB rig that was comfortable..until I tried the Crossbreeds.. You can pay a lot more (And I have..) for something half as good..but this is my choice for IWB... Comfortable..24/7 wear..no extra bulk..like the all leather types.. Customer service that's absolutely #1...

View attachment 198964

I have the full Serpa thigh rig and holster for my .40 XDm, and I love it. Fits comfortable, carry 2 spare mags on the rig, gun cant come out of holster unless tab is pressed in for release and when it comes out your finger is in the natural position on the side of the gun.

And I tried a Crossbreed for many months, finally went back to a High Noon IWB rig. The Crossbreed would come off my belt when I sat down. I had to keep putting it back into place. Plus the pistol fell out of the holster when I took my pants down or off
The High Noon is far more comfortable, stays where I put it and the pistol has never come out when I didn't want it.

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

I have a Littlebear Holster which is an leather IWB/OWB and can be made into a Tuckable. In fact, I have carried it between my belt and pants as sort of a tight fitting OWB. Shark skin trimmed belt loops and holster front for re-enforcement.
Contact Dave Galloway at [email protected]
He has 2 locations, Clark Folk, ID & Jacksonville, FL

Dave has good pricing for belts, holsters and even better pricing with sharkskin trim. I have been wearing his sharkskin belt everyday for over a year now and it does not show any wear.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top