JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have to disagree, the two are not synonymous.

here is an example of what happens when you abide by #2 and violate #4... http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/22/sheriff-hiker-mistakenly-shot-by-ore-bear-hunter.html

OK, slightly :s0126: BUT....

If you have treated your gun as if it is loaded at all times, have not let your muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy and kept your finger out of the trigger guard; then not being sure of your target isn't a problem.

Even if you have your gun pointed in the general direction at your unknown or uncertain target, bullets shouldn't be leaving the gun, because you aren't sure of your target; which means you shouldn't have your finger inside the trigger guard and your muzzle should not be oriented toward something you don't want destroyed.

The essence of Rule #4 is: Know what it is (your target--positively identified), what is in line with it (friendlies/enemies), and what is behind it (backstops). Never shoot at anything you have not positively identified.

So it sounds to me like more than one rule in the case you mentioned was violated.

In the case of holsters, you have positively identified what you DO NOT want to shoot; i.e. your leg, knee, calf, foot, toes, ankles, wedding tackle etc. that resides permanently below where your muzzle will be located. This means if you follow the other three rules while carrying, along with this one, you can carry your pistol safely without having to worry about it suddenly getting a mind of its own.

I'm currently in the production of the stiffy holster...

Lots of advantages and merits for men and transgenders:

- Barrel orientation stays pointed away from your body parts.;)

- The BIGGER the gun the better as opposed to traditional CC smaller guns.:D

- Even if you are seen printing, nobody is going to make a scene out of it (in case they are wrong ; Dials 911, "um, there is a dude here with a gun or an erection, can you please send help?".:p

- It will even come with a quick draw paracord lanyard to attach to your zipper for fast access.:rolleyes:

I may be on to something here...

in the case of the hunter he did want to destroy the bear, he just didnt identify the target (or whats beyond). This could apply to a self defense situation as well, especially at night. For that reason I think this makes 4 distinclty different than 2.... I see your point though, Ive always felt you could get away with violating one of the three the worst thing would be a negligent discharge but at least nobody would be killed.

when I consider the human factor in the big picture (nobodys perrfect), #2 is why I dont use horizontal shoulder holsters.... to get back on topic, Im not going to select a holster that by design violates the basic rule.

Last Edited:
Every holster violates the muzzle flagging rule, because technically, the gun is always flagging you, your parts, or in the case of exotic designs (SOB, Horizontal shoulder or for the ladies, the bra holster) other people; which is "against the rules." However, in the name of secure carry that is concealable, allowances have to be made.

Which is why if the other three rules are followed, there shouldn't be any smoking holes in anything other than the bad guy if the gun has to come out of the holster.

I think it would be impossible to find a holster that would be both concealable and not muzzle flag anything/anyone.

When I pocket carry, the muzzle gets pointed at dang near everything, including me.

Do I use the thumb safety (on the one gun that has one)? Nope.

One in the chamber - check.

In my 35 years of owning, having and handling loaded firearms, air guns, paintball and airsoft guns, I have never ever had an accidental/negligent discharge. I do not chalk this up to luck but rather to an awareness of what tools I have on me and how they are sitting or riding on me. I've never cut myself with my EDC knife either.

Its all in your comfort, familiarity and confidence with the tool.

Certainly, 'Different strokes for different folks' applys here. If you refuse to wear a particular holster, then so be it. I think each person must be comfortable with the hand gun and holster confifuration they carry it in. Since I practice trigger discipline and I have never had a firearm discharge by itself, I am comfortable with most of those configurations you mentioned.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top