JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for outside waist band. One of the Blackhawk Serpa's was suggested but not clear it works with the 5 inch tactical. Right now I'm wearing a pistol belt several inches above my pants belt with the original holster that came with the weapon. Under a hoodie or shirt it sits under my elbow so isn't all that noticeable. I probably have the original holster adjusted a bit too tight, but its always a choice between having it fall out versus slow draw.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/19...lster-right-hand-springfield-xd-polymer-black

You could always find someone locally that does custom kydex work or diy.

Or alot of lgs will let you try some holsters if you ask first and show them it's unloaded.

<broken link removed>

This guy has them in stock for half the price of Raven with no wait time. I use one and so does my wife.

Check out Bravo Concealment or Raven - both should have something that works well for you. a 5" will be a bear for IWB carry, but OWB should be fine. You'll need longer cover garments.

I used to own the 5" XD (good gun, accurate shooting) and carried OWB in a leather Galco Fletch. It stuck out the bottom a bit, but was not an issue for drawing. OWB will print more than IWB if that's an issue.

If it's a possibility, you may want to grab one of the 4" guns for concealed carry. Same frame, shorter slide. Same grip, capacity, etc, but easier to carry and conceal thanks to that missing 1 inch. I've owned the subcompact, service, and tactical models of the XD's and I think my all around favorites are the service models. The tactical was a great shooter but not a great carry gun.

Yeah there are plenty of holsters half the price of a Raven and they usually aren't half the holster. They are the original, everything is an imitation and most aren't close to it. They have had years of feedback from armed professional all over the world and their end product shows it.
Just because they made a good holster doesn't mean nobody else can.
I've used a variety of holsters. I'm very impressed with the holster I have now. I looked at Raven and bravo. I just couldn't justify $100+ and six weeks minimum wait time.
Then I heard about a local business owner turning out high quality holsters. I gave him a shot and haven't been disappointed.

I have an IWB Milt Sparks Leather (wonderful)
IWB/OWB Occidential Leather (wonderful)
Serpa: (works good for what it is when I'm wanting it off of my body)
All three of these are for the 4.25" XD40

If you want an OWB that's hugging your body then the Serpa is NOT the route to go. Look into a quality leather or a Kydex holster made specifically for your gun as my leather ones are. While you are at it, get a mag pouch made to match. You will thank yourself later.

Ditch the XD Gear holster, that's not a viable solution to a holster. That's for holding your pistol there while you are shooting at the range. The stability of that 'holster' is a joke.

Before carrying make sure you have a reasonable retention holster that's covering everything necessary and that had a wide enough stance on your belt so it won't move when being drawn.

If you were closer I would offer up and let you try on the holsters I have to allow you to get an idea of what you may like and what you would NOT like about each style.

Last Edited:
Maybe I need to reconsider carrying a 5-inch XD 9mm IWB. I saw the reference to AIWB and had to look it up.
The trainer below was against them just because he had so many people in his classes of unknown skills -- and I think he was concerned about just a couple of pistol models, not all.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/06/25/larry-vickers-bans-aiwb-carry-in-his-classes/

In response to LAV's class - so much for training with the equipment you normally use, if AIWB is how you carry. If he's going to ban AIWB - shouldn't he ban IWB all together, or ban the use of pistols with fairly light, short trigger pulls and no mechanical safety. Or ban the use of lead projectile spitting objects. Stick to rubber guns.

I think this is why so many firearms instructors mandate everyone take a basic class - regardless of skill level, before they move to more advanced techniques, so that when the advanced classes come everyone is on the same page. Maybe, just maybe he needs to do the same - tacticool operator trainer or not. Maybe trainers shouldn't be so gung ho on the "don't look at your holster" BS that so many of them spout. If you are holstering your weapon, the threat has been neutralized - it is not going to kill you to glance down and check the holster for being unobstructed, and SLOWLY reholstering will likely prevent those few people from shooting themselves. But that's not tacticool. That's not using the force, luke.

It's not like I'd have the cash to take one of his classes anytime soon - but he's on the list of instructors I would not take a class from now. The point of training is to get good at using your real gear. For me that does not equate to an OWB holster, or dropleg crap, or plate carriers, etc for every day use. For me it's an AIWB holster, mag in a an AIWB carrier or in a pocket.

Any why not ban just the AIWB use of striker fired guns without safety levers if THOSE are the guns he's having problems with. Why not take it on a case by case, or allow AIWB for hammer fired guns? I ride the gun into the holster with my thumb on the back of the hammer - I dont' holster with so much speed and force I can't detect hammer movement or stop the gun before bad things happen. But then, I tend to check the holster too before reholstering. And I've done enough dry pactice that I CAN reholster, without looking, and still check the holster's status with my "gun thumb" before inserting the gun into the holster.

And as far as the XD pistols go - putting the thumb on the back of the slide breaks the grip (or it does for me at least) to the point that the grip safety is no longer depressed and the trigger won't pull and you can't even move the slide. Those guns are safer for IWB than a Glock, from the standpoint of holstering.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top