JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
what holster you guys like for a medium or even low ride height for a battle belt? I understand safarilands are the best, but I'm overwhelmed by their 1000 options. I don't need level 3 retention, not a true duty rig. Plan on using it for a Sig 226 with a light. Thanks.

edit: No leg braces please.

So are you saying you want an open top were the only tension is the fit?

Duty rig or not I'd go with a Safariland ALS. You an set it up with pretty much any ride you want... high, low, high-thigh, low-thigh.

makes sense, that's a nice mount, but which holster? It can be open/ passive retention kydex or level 1 retention.

How do you intend to mount it? Belt If so which belt, size? Or are you MOLLE type battle belt?

I'm liking their new 7TS holster but you can't go wrong with a 6000 series.
battle belt. Has Molle. went with that condor LCS with cobra for now, see if I like the idea then upgrade to a high end one like Ronin, HSG, etc.

Survival Sheath Systems can make a custom rig how you want it with any clip to attach to any belt. Local to Dallas Oregon... best holsters out there for custom work

If you're going to be running and gunning and getting into some awkward shooting positions then safariland ALS is good to go. The ALS is very intuitive and doesn't change your firing grip when drawing. I'd be weary about getting the 7TS light bearing model though, they have been known to split where the molds meet. The regular no light bearing 7TS is good to go, we had them issued when I was in Afghanistan and I was not nice to it lol. I actually still use it after almost 4 years.

This is my current set up. Like others have said I am a huge fan of the ALS. If you are going to run a holster without any mechanical retention I would suggest the Trex arms Ragnarock.

0539CE0F-0955-4E1C-AFA0-75EA5A46393E.jpeg

makes sense, that's a nice mount, but which holster? It can be open/ passive retention kydex or level 1 retention.

If you wanna save some money, a 6378 is ALS only and will run you $40 or so. It comes with a paddle and a belt slide attachment, but is QLS adaptable.

Trust me, this is a tough holster for the money. I have worn one on duty, tussled with people on concrete wearing it, you name it.

I'm located between Olympia and Tacoma. I have several Safariland P226 holsters you could try.

T5 custom kydex look like they have good options. There might besome more well known options for your sig depemding on light.

I have a p10c equipped with an olight pl mini 2. Really like both items, but finding holsters has proved interesting. None of the seemingly bigger name companies make anything for me.

If you go with Safariland, you want an ALS only rig (no rotating hood). And then get you an OTD Nub Mod as it's worth the $25 (google "OTD Nub Mod").

Now you can mount that holster to either a Safariland Mid or Low Ride UBL belt mount...and add a thigh strap to help stabilize it if you like...OR...you can mount it to a G Code Drop Pistol Platform...that has a built in thigh strap (this is not a drop leg rig...it's a drop belt mount with a leg strap). Or you could mount it to either a Mule rig or a full drop leg rig...but I think you're against those. So the drop pistol platform will probably be the way to go if you go with G Code.

Alternatively you could opt for a G Code XST holster...which has a spring loaded hood (Safariland's is manual) or an OSH holster if you didn't want any secondary retention. The benefit to a G Code holster is price. They're usually cheaper than Safariland holsters but still great quality. And then you can mount the holster to either of the G Code platforms above. Or you could mount it to a Safarland UBL as they're designed to be interchangeable.

And yes, Safarilands product numbering/naming scheme is a freaking nightmare and makes sense only to Safariland. :rolleyes:

But here's what I think you need for a P226...It's the 739X 7TS ALS holster...

The 7390 7TS ALS is the Mid Ride UBL (belt mount) version...This is...about...a 1"-2" drop from a normal belt mount height.

And the 7395 7TS ALS is the Low Ride belt mount version...this rides a little bit lower than the mid ride. It just depends how low you want to go. I like the mid ride but this is very much personal preference.

if you don't want the retention, but still want to be able to run the Safariland attachments, there are holster manufacturers that add the hole patterns you need.

KT-Mech is one, T-Rex arms is another off the top of my head. I have a couple of holsters that aren't Safariland, but they do connect to my QLS system. It's handy, one belt and multiple pistols.

bolt_pattern_2572.jpg

Last Edited:
If you're going to be running and gunning and getting into some awkward shooting positions then safariland ALS is good to go. The ALS is very intuitive and doesn't change your firing grip when drawing. I'd be weary about getting the 7TS light bearing model though, they have been known to split where the molds meet. The regular no light bearing 7TS is good to go, we had them issued when I was in Afghanistan and I was not nice to it lol. I actually still use it after almost 4 years.

That is a good point, I've heard that also, mine are non-light bearing so I have no first hand experience with the light capable models.

I recently built a belt and is mostly done now.

I went with a Trex as they made a holster that works with silencers. I added taco triple pistol pouch and 2 single rifle pouches. I have two small maxpedition dump pouches (on sale). I have a cheap IFAK pouch.

I also went with the Trex outer belt and I used some left over SCUBA parts for the main belt. I like this as it holds tight and is easily adjustable.

I went with Taco pouches so I can carry a variety of loads if I choose. If I want to do cheaper practice I can put my .22 MP pistol in the holster (since it indexes on the light) put my MP pistol mags in the triple pouch and put my .22 AR mags in the double rifle pouch. If I want I could even switch to .223 and .45 or any other combination I can think of and not need multiple different belts.

Even fully loaded with 50rds of .308 and 66rds of 9mm this belt fits well and is comfortable.

92516461_559807451307389_3838952136939405312_n.jpg

man, some of you are super knowledgeable. really appreciate you sharing your insight and experiences. I can't stand the look of those newer 7TS.

what about the 6320? seems to be made for the 226. not clear on what lights fit, anyone know if I can use the RTI system with it? I like the ALS, but I have zero need for the holster to be removable from the belt, so I'd prefer the additional adjustments of RTI.

EDIT: also, apparently I need to buy a TLR-1 because NO ONE makes a holster for a 226 with a TLR-8.

Last Edited:
man, some of you are super knowledgeable. really appreciate you sharing your insight and experiences. I can't stand the look of those newer 7TS.

what about the 6320? seems to be made for the 226. not clear on what lights fit, anyone know if I can use the RTI system with it? I like the ALS, but I have zero need for the holster to be removable from the belt, so I'd prefer the additional adjustments of RTI.

EDIT: also, apparently I need to buy a TLR-1 because NO ONE makes a holster for a 226 with a TLR-8.

Keep in mind it is ALWAYS a good idea to do your holster shopping BEFORE you buy a light. There are tons of new lights hitting the market all the time but the holster makers do not even try to keep up. There's just too many. That off brand or new light might be cheaper than a Surefire or Streamlight but if you can't find a holster that fits it, it doesn't help much.

That holster you posted says it should fit a P226 so you should be fine. And I couldn't figure out what lights work with it either. That's Safariland. They don't make things easy on you.

Anyway, yes, it should mount to an RTI system. G Codes stuff is patterned to work with Safariland, you just need to buy the right adapter (there's a metal bracket of sorts that connects the holster to the RTI wheel). And seriously if you've never used G Codes RTI system or Safariland's QLS system (same functionality just a little different design) you'll never want to go back to a traditional belt mount. They're just super easy to take things on and off, move them around, etc.

On that holster, keep in mind that Safariland's rotating hood is manual...there's a big button that you manually have to push down to rotate the hood forward. This results in a slower draw and requires more physical force to get the hood out of the way...which might be a good thing if you're a cop and retention is a paramount concern. In comparison, G Codes hood system is spring loaded and is easier and faster to engage. If I'm going to use a hood, I greatly prefer G Codes over Safariland...but I'm not a cop so retention isn't as high of a priority to me. YMMV. G Codes holsters are top notch too BTW so you can buy with confidence.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top